BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

11-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Does Aux Heating Also Pre-Heat The Engine Block - With FLIR Pictures

Hi All

So it's getting colder here in the UK (relatively) and I'm starting to use the aux heating in my X5 regularly. I must say I'm pretty impressed, good amounts of heat pumping into the cabin after only a few minutes running! However, I thought that the aux heater would also pre-heat the block / oil / coolant to make cold starting less rough on the engine and to give a nice quick warm up. But I'm starting to be less convinced that this is happening as time goes by.

Anyway I fished out my FLIR camera today and ran the aux heat for about 30 minutes before taking a look round the car. The cabin was lovely and hot, as was my drive under the aux heating exhaust! - About half way along the passenger side of the car.

But while I could see heat in the pipes running from the heater pack to the matrix behind the bulkhead I couldn't really see any sign of the block gaining any heat. I can't be certain because it's a pretty big lump and is shrouded with all sorts of bits and bobs blocking my view.

Does anybody know for sure if aux heating does start to heat the engine, or is it only the cabin?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Baunton319.50
      11-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
six
Captain
Rep

By the way the IR pics confirm the heater is low down behind the passenger wheel arch. Hence (and frustratingly) the reduced wading depth if this option is fitted
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Good question.....I had assumed it was just heating the interior and not the block.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
six
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Good question.....I had assumed it was just heating the interior and not the block.
I think you might be right. Perhaps I've picked up on the block heating from looking at Webasto units which may well offer this as they are aftermarket and designed for more extream situations...
Appreciate 0