BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #23
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

They quoted 6k+ at the stealership for me, 5 yrs with cosmetic. Insane. I did it for around 2400. Lotsa money but worth it for the garbage NY roads around here and for cosmetic with road rash. I'll save in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #24
SuddenDebt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
They quoted 6k+ at the stealership for me, 5 yrs with cosmetic. Insane. I did it for around 2400. Lotsa money but worth it for the garbage NY roads around here and for cosmetic with road rash. I'll save in the long run.
I am in a similar situation as you. Roads here suck big time. I have asked David at ST for quote, lets see what he comes up with.

On a side note, do you know if the spare tire in your car fits front and back? From the pics, it looks small.

SD
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #25
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi all - 1 question I need answered, does this insurance cover aftermarket wheels? The contract appears to say so, but it has some language that also appears a little hard to interpret. I assume the policies, however, are similar around the US and it looks like some have had success replacing aftermarkets (and HREs, at that!). I'm thinking it would. Any insight? Since I just got my X5M with 21" and Conti PSS, I need a winter set, and I'm thinking of going aftermarket to get something that looks different. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #26
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
Hi all - 1 question I need answered, does this insurance cover aftermarket wheels? The contract appears to say so, but it has some language that also appears a little hard to interpret. I assume the policies, however, are similar around the US and it looks like some have had success replacing aftermarkets (and HREs, at that!). I'm thinking it would. Any insight? Since I just got my X5M with 21" and Conti PSS, I need a winter set, and I'm thinking of going aftermarket to get something that looks different. Thanks
Your X5 M came with Contintentals and not Michelins?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
Your X5 M came with Contintentals and not Michelins?
Umm, no. Brain fart on my part...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #28
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Thought I'd revisit an old thread, since today I had to take advantage of the wheel and tire protection plan I bought with my X5 M, and I am glad I have this coverage.

Somehow, it's always the winter tires that attract damage for me, and I had two tires covered under the program today. Since I bought the official BMW winter tire set through my dealership, they, too, are covered by the tire protection plan I bought with my car. I must have run over some debris pushed to the side of the road by plows during the storms on Cape Cod this week, because both front and rear driver's side tires were damaged. The coverage process was painless, for me anyway, and BMW did the hunting for replacement winter tires to match the others on my X5 M. Apparently, finding replacement tires was the most difficult part of this process, as these tires are limited in availability right now. While the dealership has the vehicle for the next couple of days waiting for the tires to arrive, and the claims paperwork to get pushed across all appropriate desks, I am driving around in a fully loaded 2016 750i xDrive.

Even though this claim will only put a dent into getting back out of the program the cost I paid for it, not having to do the hunting for the tires, or locating a loaner vehicle while mine is repaired, more than covers the difference for me. I also still have multiple years to go between now and the end of my coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #29
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thought I'd revisit an old thread, since today I had to take advantage of the wheel and tire protection plan I bought with my X5 M, and I am glad I have this coverage.

Somehow, it's always the winter tires that attract damage for me, and I had two tires covered under the program today. Since I bought the official BMW winter tire set through my dealership, they, too, are covered by the tire protection plan I bought with my car. I must have run over some debris pushed to the side of the road by plows during the storms on Cape Cod this week, because both front and rear driver's side tires were damaged. The coverage process was painless, for me anyway, and BMW did the hunting for replacement winter tires to match the others on my X5 M. Apparently, finding replacement tires was the most difficult part of this process, as these tires are limited in availability right now. While the dealership has the vehicle for the next couple of days waiting for the tires to arrive, and the claims paperwork to get pushed across all appropriate desks, I am driving around in a fully loaded 2016 750i xDrive.

Even though this claim will only put a dent into getting back out of the program the cost I paid for it, not having to do the hunting for the tires, or locating a loaner vehicle while mine is repaired, more than covers the difference for me. I also still have multiple years to go between now and the end of my coverage.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like they are taking good care of you. You must really rate to get a 2016 750i loaner; I heard those are reserved for 2016 750i owners only!
      02-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #30
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

It seems you guys get a much better deal on this insurance.

I just checked with my dealer and was not particularly impressed.

Policy covers 2 tyres and one cracked rim per year for 3 years. Cost $975 AUD.

It does not cover curb rash whatsoever.

The issue I have with it however is that they only replace a single tyre at a time.

Normally when replacing tyres, you replace a pair to ensure they wear evenly.

He said that it was designed for run flats where it's not necessary to do so.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #31
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
It seems you guys get a much better deal on this insurance.

I just checked with my dealer and was not particularly impressed.

Policy covers 2 tyres and one cracked rim per year for 3 years. Cost $975 AUD.

It does not cover curb rash whatsoever.

The issue I have with it however is that they only replace a single tyre at a time.

Normally when replacing tyres, you replace a pair to ensure they wear evenly.

He said that it was designed for run flats where it's not necessary to do so.

You still need to replace both tires on the axle if the tires are worn beyond a certain point, but that would need to be done whether you paid for both tires, or only paid for one, and the insurance plan paid for the other. Fortunately, my winter tires only have about 1500 miles on them, so just replacing one tire on each axle won't be an issue.

For me, the biggest bonus with this plan is not having to do the legwork to hunt for the tire replacements. I have a trip I'm leaving for Friday, that cannot be rescheduled, and for which I need my car. Having BMW handle all of this, all the while being allowed to drive a nice loaner vehicle for free, is a huge bonus. One that I think paying for this policy is worth, because it has allowed me to focus on the task at hand, preparing for my trip.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #32
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like they are taking good care of you. You must really rate to get a 2016 750i loaner; I heard those are reserved for 2016 750i owners only!
I didn't realize the 750i was for certain people only. I just assumed getting the nicer loaner was because I was bringing in a nicer car for service. It would make sense to loan out nicer cars to people who buy nicer cars, as it would give them a chance to experience a vehicle they might then want to come in and purchase after being given the opportunity to experience it. I have seen internal BMW emails where we are referred to as elite VIP clients, but I'd like to think that's not the reason they give me the loaner vehicles they do.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #33
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
Let me know what you guys think about wheel & tire insurance for X5M and if its worth it....thx ! Dealer quoted $1670 for 3 years and $1900 for 5 years ( $50 deductible)+ $200 additional cosmetic coverage for wheels.
I paid 1650 for 3 years BMW PLAN. It covered the cosmetic damage as well. This was 2 weeks ago. $1350 without the cosmetic coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #34
theseeker
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M, 2015 SLS, 2015 S550

Quote:
I didn't realize the 750i was for certain people only. I just assumed getting the nicer loaner was because I was bringing in a nicer car for service. It would make sense to loan out nicer cars to people who buy nicer cars, as it would give them a chance to experience a vehicle they might then want to come in and purchase after being given the opportunity to experience it. I have seen internal BMW emails where we are referred to as elite VIP clients, but I'd like to think that's not the reason they give me the loaner vehicles they do.
My dealer in Houston, Momentum, gives their M owners nothing less than a 650 for a loaner. As for the wheel and tire insurance, I always opt for it along with windshield insurance. All you have to do is crack one rim or break one windshield and the value will be obvious to you. My ex was hard on AMG rims and I lost a windshield due to a trucker with an unsecured load. The windshield cost me $1,900. Never again.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #35
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

re

Always thought tire insurance was a no brainer--had it on my m5 for $1900. Did get two rear tires replaced but the insurance didn't pay for itself. I had a mildly bent front rim that they would not replace or repair so I had to get it repaired on my own. They used to just replace rims but now they send the rim out to a repair shop. When I looked into my x5m wheel insurance, they charged $2800 which I declined. Does not cover cosmetic and bends are only serviceable if the tire is losing air. I have two local rim shops that repair for bmw and charge $125 to straighten rims. Even more, I can buy a complete set of 21 inch pss for a lot less than the insurance. Had the insurance been cheaper I would opt for it, but the rules have become more stringent and the prices have risen. Im going to buy a replacement set of tires and in case I lose tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #36
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
Always thought tire insurance was a no brainer--had it on my m5 for $1900. Did get two rear tires replaced but the insurance didn't pay for itself. I had a mildly bent front rim that they would not replace or repair so I had to get it repaired on my own. They used to just replace rims but now they send the rim out to a repair shop. When I looked into my x5m wheel insurance, they charged $2800 which I declined. Does not cover cosmetic and bends are only serviceable if the tire is losing air. I have two local rim shops that repair for bmw and charge $125 to straighten rims. Even more, I can buy a complete set of 21 inch pss for a lot less than the insurance. Had the insurance been cheaper I would opt for it, but the rules have become more stringent and the prices have risen. Im going to buy a replacement set of tires and in case I lose tires.
Seeing the variation in prices forum members have been charged here for the same policy, leads me to believe the dealerships increase the cost of this item to pad their coffers. I paid about half what you were quoted for my wheel & tire insurance, mine includes cosmetic repair, and is for 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #37
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

I need to correct my earlier post.

Quoted $875 which covers 2 new tyres and $1200 toward a replacement (cracked) rim, per year for 3 years.

If you puncture one tyre, you can choose to replace 1 or 2.

If you choose to replace both, you can choose to pay for the second, or claim your full allowance for the year.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:09 AM   #38
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

Quoted initially $900 but they realized it was an M and corrected the quote to $1300 with no cosmetic 3 years direct from BMW with $50 deductible. They still honored the lower quote however afterwards. Kudos.
      03-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #39
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I didn't buy the tire and wheel insurance. I got the 20" Wheels, so hopefully that will help decreasing the risks.

What I got was a lease end insurance that covers up to $5000 in lease end charges including tires with low thread and wheels. Cost was $900. Exclusion is basically "anything that could be an insurance claim" (read - colision).

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #40
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelho View Post
I didn't buy the tire and wheel insurance. I got the 20" Wheels, so hopefully that will help decreasing the risks.

What I got was a lease end insurance that covers up to $5000 in lease end charges including tires with low thread and wheels. Cost was $900. Exclusion is basically "anything that could be an insurance claim" (read - colision).

What do you guys think?
I didn't use to be big on the wheel and tire insurance, but with the last two vehicles we've had it on, it's been so useful, I'm now a firm believer in its value.

I think the lease end insurance is a great thing. It's inexpensive enough that if one doesn't get items covered that equal the price of the policy, the peace of mind it provides more than makes up for it. I've had lease returns where large items are looked over, and then I've had them where the person nitpicks every little thing. Paying $900 to not stress over what the experience will be like is worth it in my mind!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #41
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

wow i got a great deal than, my dealership gave me unlimited bent or cracked rim and any tire damage for $10 extra a month to my payment. when i asked about curb rash he said find a pothole and than bring it in!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #42
Sutorius
BMW CCA 500851
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 M  [9.50]
2016 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
X5 M - Wheel & Tire Insurance

Picking up a 2017 X5 M in a few days and my dealer in PA is quoting me the below for W&T Insurance (after discount and before sales tax) - let me know your thoughts please.
3yrs $2,250
5yrs $3,053

Thanks in advance!
2015 BMW M4 (Sold)
2008 BMW 550i (Sold), 2008 BMW X5 4.8i (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #43
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Anyone know if powder coating the wheels black will void the warranty on the wheel coverage?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #44
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutoriusNYC View Post
Picking up a 2017 X5 M in a few days and my dealer in PA is quoting me the below for W&T Insurance (after discount and before sales tax) - let me know your thoughts please.
3yrs $2,250
5yrs $3,053

Thanks in advance!
At those prices you could replace all 4 tires and fix some curb damage on your own before costing you that much. I would say skip this.