BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #23
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat'n'cool View Post
Thanks for sharing your picks of towing your toys!! Glad I'm not the only one using this rig as a tow rig!!
Do you have a BMW part number for the tow kit/receiver? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #24
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting an old thread.

For you guys that are using their Ms for towing, can you tell me what towing capacity is for the XMs? From what I can find out online, it is about 6000lb?

I am hoping to tow an aluminum 20' open trailer, with aluminum front air dam. Its weight would be about 1700lbs, and on it, would be my Huracán, which weighs about 3450 lbs. I am thinking I will be fine?

Thanks for your input. I would be loathe to have to purchase a truck just for the three or four times a year that I'd be towing.

Cheers!
      10-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #25
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

For you guys that are using their Ms for towing, can you tell me what towing capacity is for the XMs? From what I can find out online, it is about 6000lb?

I am hoping to tow an aluminum 20' open trailer, with aluminum front air dam. Its weight would be about 1700lbs, and on it, would be my Huracán, which weighs about 3450 lbs. I am thinking I will be fine?

Thanks for your input. I would be loathe to have to purchase a truck just for the three or four times a year that I'd be towing.

Cheers!
Depends which tow system you are using
      10-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #26
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
I am thinking about the Execuhitch/Invisihitch. I believe these will allow a towing capacity of 6000lbs, but in my experience, just because a vehicle is rated for a certain capacity, doesn't necessarily mean it would be a good idea. I don't want to struggle pulling this rig, at all.
Just recently, I trailered my car 1000km using an open 20' trailer, and a Dodge RAM 3500 diesel, with 900ft-lb of torque! It was incredible. Of course, I'm not looking for those levels of functionality, but on the few occasions a year I'd consider towing the car rather than driving (likely 1000km+ each way), would it be advisable? I'm sure it's possible - just wondering if it's advisable?

Thanks for any input.
      10-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #27
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am thinking about the Execuhitch/Invisihitch. I believe these will allow a towing capacity of 6000lbs, but in my experience, just because a vehicle is rated for a certain capacity, doesn't necessarily mean it would be a good idea. I don't want to struggle pulling this rig, at all.
Just recently, I trailered my car 1000km using an open 20' trailer, and a Dodge RAM 3500 diesel, with 900ft-lb of torque! It was incredible. Of course, I'm not looking for those levels of functionality, but on the few occasions a year I'd consider towing the car rather than driving (likely 1000km+ each way), would it be advisable? I'm sure it's possible - just wondering if it's advisable?

Thanks for any input.
I have that hitch on my x5m, so far no problem. I didn't tow a lambo yet thou
      10-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #28
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha - thanks. It's been a lifetime of dreaming for me

Any idea what your car + trailer weighs?

Cheers!
      10-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #29
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
Lol nope sorry
      10-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #30
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Quote:

Cheers!
Glad to see another member from Canada looking to tow. What part of Canada are you from? Im looking to eventually do the same but with my M6 and boat during the summer. From what I've researched Execuhitch is the same option ill be going with. Hoping to see your results so i can feel more comfortable to take the plunge.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #31
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Glad to see another member from Canada looking to tow. What part of Canada are you from? Im looking to eventually do the same but with my M6 and boat during the summer. From what I've researched Execuhitch is the same option ill be going with. Hoping to see your results so i can feel more comfortable to take the plunge.
I live in Saskatchewan. Agreed - from what I have gathered, Execuhitch is the only way to go. It would be a deal breaker for me if the hitch /receiver was visible, so the Execuhitch is perfect! I am going to do the install myself, but am a bit wary about the electrics aspect of it. I'll get the help of a friend. It looks very doable.

I likely won't be taking this on until the spring - my rig will be mainly for towing my fun car, and it's now been put away for the winter

Good luck with your M6 towing rig! That would be a cool thing to see
      10-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #32
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
I live in Saskatchewan. Agreed - from what I have gathered, Execuhitch is the only way to go. It would be a deal breaker for me if the hitch /receiver was visible, so the Execuhitch is perfect! I am going to do the install myself, but am a bit wary about the electrics aspect of it. I'll get the help of a friend. It looks very doable.

I likely won't be taking this on until the spring - my rig will be mainly for towing my fun car, and it's now been put away for the winter

Good luck with your M6 towing rig! That would be a cool thing to see
Just a heads up it's all straight forward install, you will need 4 hands on the bumper removal thou... just an FYI the tow hook just in case you will need to tow your x5 later is gone
      10-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #33
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just a heads up it's all straight forward install, you will need 4 hands on the bumper removal thou... just an FYI the tow hook just in case you will need to tow your x5 later is gone
The tow hook? Not sure what you mean by this? Could you please elaborate? Do you mean that by installing the Execuhitch, I will negate the ability to put the BMW tow hook onto the X6?

Thanks for the heads up!
      10-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #34
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The tow hook? Not sure what you mean by this? Could you please elaborate? Do you mean that by installing the Execuhitch, I will negate the ability to put the BMW tow hook onto the X6?

Thanks for the heads up!
Yep the hook is gone at least on mine it's not there so you want to make sure to clarify it with the company prior to buying something I will do this week. I had an issues with my car so I needed to tow it, when I wanted to put the tow hook in I found out there is nothing there to screw it into, thankfully I was able to get the tow truck to the front of my x5 and hook it that way. I'm going to put a call to hitch company this week to get it answered
      10-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #35
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up!
Yep the hook is gone at least on mine it's not there so you want to make sure to clarify it with the company prior to buying something I will do this week. I had an issues with my car so I needed to tow it, when I wanted to put the tow hook in I found out there is nothing there to screw it into, thankfully I was able to get the tow truck to the front of my x5 and hook it that way. I'm going to put a call to hitch company this week to get it answered
Yikes. That's good to know. Not a deal beaker, I think, but good to know should the situation arise.
Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for looking into the company's take on it.
      10-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #36
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:

Cheers!
The factory electric hitch in Europe is rated up to 7700lb (not sure about the tongue limit). The factory hitch in the US is rated at 6000lb, with a 600lb tongue. It's possible the reason for the difference is that there are different guidelines on the ratio of load to tongue weight between the two, so they don't bother to rate the US hitch any higher. The limit on tongue load is likely a design spec of the vehicle, not the hitch itself.

For those looking at an invisihitch, I nearly got one until I ran across this thread. The last thing I need is my racecar upside down on the highway because a design optimized for cosmetics fails.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1025750&page=6
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #37
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Quote:

Cheers!
The factory electric hitch in Europe is rated up to 7700lb (not sure about the tongue limit). The factory hitch in the US is rated at 6000lb, with a 600lb tongue. It's possible the reason for the difference is that there are different guidelines on the ratio of load to tongue weight between the two, so they don't bother to rate the US hitch any higher. The limit on tongue load is likely a design spec of the vehicle, not the hitch itself.

For those looking at an invisihitch, I nearly got one until I ran across this thread. The last thing I need is my racecar upside down on the highway because a design optimized for cosmetics fails.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1025750&page=6
Are you referring to the two guys whose hitches failed? I think that the company addressed this problem quickly for them, and also updated the hitches for the X5/X6 with a design with greater structural integrity?
      10-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #38
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Are you referring to the two guys whose hitches failed? I think that the company addressed this problem quickly for them, and also updated the hitches for the X5/X6 with a design with greater structural integrity?
How did the design get to the market to being with? Adding metal (hope) is not a strategy IMO (as an engineer). I would put BMW's paranoid lawyers motivating engineers against a small 3rd party's motivation to test their design any day.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #39
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How did the design get to the market to being with? Adding metal (hope) is not a strategy IMO (as an engineer). I would put BMW's paranoid lawyers motivating engineers against a small 3rd party's motivation to test their design any day.
Good point. The last thing I'd want to see is my baby cartwheeling across the road in my rear view mirror!
Hmmm. Decisions, decisions....
      11-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #40
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I used an invisihitch on my e70d for many miles towing my ~6000lb car trailer. No issues whatsoever. Installed one on my x5m with no reservations. Adding metal to strengthen the tow bar works for me.

Of course BMW engineers and lawyers have never had an oversight or miscalculation on anything...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #41
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Here is mine, Polaris rzr1000, didn't even know I was towing it
Attached Images

11-14-2016, 02:46 AM   #42
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Good taste on the car , but on the SSV

I own a 16' XDS Maverick
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #43
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

how much is each, I will install myself anyone do write up, I'm thinking for going with no light module because I hardly tow, but i use my thule cargo box the most.
      11-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #44
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Good taste on the car , but on the SSV

I own a 16' XDS Maverick
Hahaha depends I guess what you prefer I love the rzr! Plus the deal was great and couldn't pass up