BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

M suspension settings

I can feel a huge difference between the steering wheel modes. I can also feel the difference between the throttle modes.

I cannot feel any difference between the suspension modes. no matter the speed, the road conditions, straight line, curve, the different settings don't seem to make any difference.

what is the consensus here? Should it be night and day like the other settings or is the suspension REALLY much more subtle between the changes?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelho View Post
I can feel a huge difference between the steering wheel modes. I can also feel the difference between the throttle modes.

I cannot feel any difference between the suspension modes. no matter the speed, the road conditions, straight line, curve, the different settings don't seem to make any difference.

what is the consensus here? Should it be night and day like the other settings or is the suspension REALLY much more subtle between the changes?
I notice significantly less wobble/cushion when going from comfort to sport, and on sport+ it is definitely stiffer. I prefer sport for everyday driving, and sport+ when doing spirited driving.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm with you man. I can't feel any difference, which is why I set it to sport plus permanently LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 03:12 AM   #4
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

It feels more crashy (non-compliant) on uneven or rough roads in Sport Plus. In comfort mode it's quite a bit more tolerant to those conditions. However I would say on a good road there seems to be little difference unless you are pushing the car through the twisties where you do find another difference. I'd say the majority of driving for most people is on decent roads, therefore seemingly with no noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:

It may be because we're just used to driving on REALLY crappy roads. Not sure where you live in NYC, but most of the roads there are just Godawful. They're better up here, but still not great. Maybe when we're used to plowing around on gnarly roads the subtleties of the suspension settings just aren't evident...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

I think jcfay may be on to something. I notice a difference, because the roads on Cape Cod are mostly in good shape. I also drive quite fast on the twisty turny back roads to get around while avoiding tourists. It is on those types of roads that I notice the differences in the settings the most. There is significantly less lean-in the higher the setting. Sport+ is the most stable, but also the most jarring if one hits a bump in the road
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep

So it seems that the consensus is that the changes are really subtle. I was concerned there was something wrong in my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

You don't feel because your car is heavy. On lighter M cars like M3/M4 and even M6 is being felt; however the tire pressure has a big effect if is not adjusted correctly...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:26 AM   #9
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

That is true.

Last time picked my car up from service my tires were running 45 all around - cold.

Was wondering wtf was going on until I adjusted to 36 all around and it fixed it.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:51 AM   #10
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
That is true.

Last time picked my car up from service my tires were running 45 all around - cold.

Was wondering wtf was going on until I adjusted to 36 all around and it fixed it.
the dealers for some reason LOVE to overinflate tires sometimes. It's the weirdest thing Not sure it's the sheer weight of the vehicle, however, that is why some of us feel little difference between suspension modes. The suspension is unique to the platform, it sure ain't the same as the M3/4 or the 6. But on garbage roads, I doubt anyone is feeling any subtlety, other than bone-jarring hits and bangs as we dive into potholes. When we get some smooth roads, however, it sounds like folks can feel a difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep

my tires are a perfect 36 all around. I drove both on terrible roads and on excellent ones.

(I think) I can feel a very minor difference between the modes, emphasis on "very minor".

I have a loaner X3 now and the difference between confort and sport is huge.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #12
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep

dealer checked, my car is normal. the changes are more subtle on the M cars due to the already stiffer suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5///M, DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I think jcfay may be on to something. I notice a difference, because the roads on Cape Cod are mostly in good shape. I also drive quite fast on the twisty turny back roads to get around while avoiding tourists. It is on those types of roads that I notice the differences in the settings the most. There is significantly less lean-in the higher the setting. Sport+ is the most stable, but also the most jarring if one hits a bump in the road
+1. Same sentiment. So do you just blow past your husband in his electric car? The two of you and your car polarities is a hoot to me.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #14
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryngo View Post
+1. Same sentiment. So do you just blow past your husband in his electric car? The two of you and your car polarities is a hoot to me.
LOL, yes, I do! The M4 we just ordered was supposed to be his car, but then he got the i3, so now it's relegated to be my second car. He claims he'll drive it sometimes. I'm not convinced. When we go somewhere together, it's always in the i3, he never wants to take the X5 M, unless he admits defeat in that we need to drive further than his car's battery can take us.

He loves the M cars when I can get him to drive them, but for some strange reason, his heart lies with the electric cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5///M, DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
LOL, yes, I do! The M4 we just ordered was supposed to be his car, but then he got the i3, so now it's relegated to be my second car. He claims he'll drive it sometimes. I'm not convinced. When we go somewhere together, it's always in the i3, he never wants to take the X5 M, unless he admits defeat in that we need to drive further than his car's battery can take us.

He loves the M cars when I can get him to drive them, but for some strange reason, his heart lies with the electric cars.
That's just awesome. Honestly that really works out in your favor. Oh I know - convince him to get a Tesla P85D!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #16
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep

Tested the different settings yesterday on a cobblestone street and the difference was less subtle. There is definitely a difference. It is not as pronounced as the non M cars, but it is there.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #17
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

take an exit ramp turn at about 80 mph if comfort vs sport plus and you will feel the difference. wash and squeel vs velcro!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
eonflux
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but after almost 2 months of driving around my X6M, the differences in the suspension setting between Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus are not particularly apparent

Many of the streets in San Francisco are pretty awful, so I'd think I could differentiate between the 3 settings, but not so
I've even recently had my wife randomly select between Comfort and Sport Plus when we drive together, and I guess correctly only about 1/2 the time

Perhaps I'll try to pay closer attention taking turns/curves more aggressively

But do the settings only affect the rear suspension with the air springs?
If so, that would make it harder to feel a difference between the settings
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #19
Yiming
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but after almost 2 months of driving around my X6M, the differences in the suspension setting between Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus are not particularly apparent

Many of the streets in San Francisco are pretty awful, so I'd think I could differentiate between the 3 settings, but not so
I've even recently had my wife randomly select between Comfort and Sport Plus when we drive together, and I guess correctly only about 1/2 the time

Perhaps I'll try to pay closer attention taking turns/curves more aggressively

But do the settings only affect the rear suspension with the air springs?
If so, that would make it harder to feel a difference between the settings
Go over speed bumps at moderate speed, im sure you will feel the difference XD
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 04:28 AM   #20
gizmo958
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evo IX, 17 X5M

i find suspension adjustments really noticeable .On confort its extremly soft cushioned and boaty on corners , the sport to me is the beter of the 3 as its not overly uncomfortable but noticeably stiffer on turns and much less boaty .

The sport plus is excellent , but i try to avoid this as to provide some sort of cushioning for the x5m all around
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Comfort mode in the X5M is more sporty than Sport mode in normal BMW's from my experience. The difference is less noticeable in the M cars but its there. If you look at the manual Comfort and Sport mode the active roll bars are in the same setting (shocks still adjust independently). Sport+ is when the active roll bars take it a notch further to keep the car flat.
      12-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #22
LastLong
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Does the X5M have air suspension? Can we set it to low or up the car?
- 2007 E70 BMW X5 4.8i - Sport Pack = SOLD
- 2007 E70 BMW X5 30si - Sport Pack = SOLD
Appreciate 0