Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day
I like it!

Nice touch to match the yellow stripe on the front lip, and it looks great against the Space Gray.

side note... did you install your sport grilles yourself...?
Sport grills? Do you mean the kidney grills? If yes, then yes I installed them myself.
PM sent
      06-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #24
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Yay.

White beam is ineffective in whiteout conditions.
Exactly. If it works better in fog, or heavy rain or snow, then great. That is, after all, what they're for. I'm not too impressed with them as they are. I might give this a try. I don't care about the cosmetics, I care about the performance. btw, I'm also not impressed with all the people driving around with their fog lights on all the time. I'm not impressed that your car came with fog lights so you think everyone needs to see that your car came with fog lights. Toyota Corollas come with fog lights. I'm not impressed. Please turn your fog lights off until it gets foggy.
Lol, I understand your gripe, but it does2bother me as much as it seems to bother you.

I only use my fog lights when it's raining or snowing. if there is no precipitation, my fogs are off.
      06-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #25
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
PM sent
I did not get a message...
      06-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #26
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
PM sent
I did not get a message...
Sorry, maybe the phone app is acting up.

I was asking if you would be willing to meet at a general location this weekend that's convenient for you and if you can help me install my grilles.

I live in Queens, so anywhere that works for you is fine.

I just can't seem to get my hands behind the grilles in order to unhook the tabs. I can give you cash, or bring a bottle of your favorite adult beverage. Your call.

Let me know.

TIA
      06-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #27
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I'd love to assist since it is really easy However, I will be tied up this weekend both Sat and Sun. house hunting. I've even passed up a meet with my friends to help them install their front carbon fiber lips on Saturday and skipping the Rallye BMW car show on Sunday.

Have you checked the DIY thread? Make sure you remove the spongy trim and you can also open up the oval shaped cover and reach in there to push on the tabs. To find them easier, look at the replacement grills to see how the tabs attached and how you would need to press to get them to pop out.
      06-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #28
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Exactly. If it works better in fog, or heavy rain or snow, then great. That is, after all, what they're for. I'm not too impressed with them as they are. I might give this a try. I don't care about the cosmetics, I care about the performance. btw, I'm also not impressed with all the people driving around with their fog lights on all the time. I'm not impressed that your car came with fog lights so you think everyone needs to see that your car came with fog lights. Toyota Corollas come with fog lights. I'm not impressed. Please turn your fog lights off until it gets foggy.
I 100% feel your pain.

Most cars should have their fog lights on, maybe twice per year for 10-30 minutes. If you live in coastal CA where I am, maybe 5-10 times per year for that long. If in the Central Valley of CA (radiation/ground fog), more often. In some parts of the country, they should never be turned on.

My complaint: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1216976

Kzang has improved function. That takes precedence over aesthetics in my book.
      06-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #29
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

the ones who annoy me are the individuals who install aftermarket projector housing HID kits in non-projector headlights and then drive all day and night with this blinding light. at least the fog light is aimed lower and not as much of a distraction or hazard.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #30
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
The worst are people who run around with rear fog lights on. I think there are a lot of cars (mostly Audi) with the pull method so they just pull all the way for rear fogs. I don't think people realize they're blinding folks behind them.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #31
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

i love that feature on VAG automobiles with the euro switch. i use those for tailgaters. most people in the US don't know what rear fog lights are and assume you're braking other than that i agree it is a blinding annoyance when driving at night. the new lincoln rear lights are so bright and there are about fourteen thousand led lights in the back.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #32
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to assist since it is really easy However, I will be tied up this weekend both Sat and Sun. house hunting. I've even passed up a meet with my friends to help them install their front carbon fiber lips on Saturday and skipping the Rallye BMW car show on Sunday.

Have you checked the DIY thread? Make sure you remove the spongy trim and you can also open up the oval shaped cover and reach in there to push on the tabs. To find them easier, look at the replacement grills to see how the tabs attached and how you would need to press to get them to pop out.
Thanks for the tip! I will give it another shot this weekend
      06-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #33
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Some low light shots..
Note the picture in the tunnel shows the yellow lights under the LED light illumination.
Attached Images

06-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

I was asking if you would be willing to meet at a general location this weekend that's convenient for you and if you can help me install my grilles.

I just can't seem to get my hands behind the grilles in order to unhook the tabs. I can give you cash, or bring a bottle of your favorite adult beverage. Your call.

Let me know.

TIA
I just did mine a few days ago. Did you follow the guide that is posted on the F15 forum? I followed that and was done in less than 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #35
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:

Let me know.

TIA
I just did mine a few days ago. Did you follow the guide that is posted on the F15 forum? I followed that and was done in less than 15 minutes.
Thanks. I will try again over the weekend if I get a chance. Hope2the guide will walk me through it
      06-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #36
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Some low light shots..
Note the picture in the tunnel shows the yellow lights under the LED light illumination.
Absolutely looks great.

I have considered to get yellow fog as well.. but I have AW so it may not as good as your color combinations.

Here comes ur twins.... good job
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264554

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #37
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Some low light shots..
The yellow fog lights look great at that time of day. I like that look a lot and it goes very well with that pin stripe on the front lip.

I only use my fog lights when is raining or snowing. Not necessarily to enhance my vision because I find the full led lights to provide plenty of illumination of my path. I use them more so other drivers can see my car when precipitation lowers visibility.
      08-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #38
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
with halogen bulbs yes but the way x5 has LED, they are nice by themselves so i would say No way

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #39
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Why????????
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #40
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I've removed the tint since this thread.. I didn't like the application.
      11-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #41
Velocifero
Meat Popcicle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
with halogen bulbs yes but the way x5 has LED, they are nice by themselves so i would say No way
This. I put yellow fog bulbs on my TSX and I love them for being able to be seen a little easier during inclement weather (especially snow). Some people may think it's rubbish, but it's not. Lower wavelength light (reds) is easier to distinguish with the human eye than higher wavelengths (blues). It's the reason why red light is sharp at night, but blue is fuzzy, out of focus. That said though, since my X5 has LED fogs already, I'll leave them as is. Also because they act as turning lights when the steering wheel is turned to supplement the headlights, it makes more sense to have them match color in this case.

If I had halogen fogs though, I would only change the bulb color, not the lens color. Just my personal style preference.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #42
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocifero View Post
Quote:
This. I put yellow fog bulbs on my TSX and I love them for being able to be seen a little easier during inclement weather (especially snow). Some people may think it's rubbish, but it's not. Lower wavelength light (reds) is easier to distinguish with the human eye than higher wavelengths (blues). It's the reason why red light is sharp at night, but blue is fuzzy, out of focus. That said though, since my X5 has LED fogs already, I'll leave them as is. Also because they act as turning lights when the steering wheel is turned to supplement the headlights, it makes more sense to have them match color in this case.

If I had halogen fogs though, I would only change the bulb color, not the lens color. Just my personal style preference.
Agree and have done what you have done before and enjoyed the look and practicality but as u said LED is different ball game so it looks cheesy to downgrade or put cheap tape over it (I have put tape over halogen dogs in my E30 though)

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #43
Velocifero
Meat Popcicle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35d xLine

Quote:
Agree and have done what you have done before and enjoyed the look and practicality but as u said LED is different ball game so it looks cheesy to downgrade or put cheap tape over it (I have put tape over halogen dogs in my E30 though)
Better than I did. On an older Accord I had, I spray painted the outer fog lenses with yellow stain glass paint, which proceeded to flake off in about a week.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #44
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I had put yellow tint on my fogs a few weeks ago. Ran it for a couple days and realized how crappy it looked. And when I encountered fog, it didn't seem any better than the regular fog light.
P111569.00