BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #45
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i

I just picked up a '16 X5 35 with Msport package and performance package. I test drove it on the 20" wheels, and when I picked it up a week later it was on the 18" winter wheels and tires.

My trade in was a '15 X4 Msport. While I loved the virility and agility of the X4, I was suitably unimpressed with the ride and comfort... and luxurywise, even though I had the top of the line X4, I was left missing all the wonderful touches that I had had with my 2013 535xi.

The X5 rides just like the older versions of 5 Series cars that I had in the 90's and 00's. Pillow smooth on the crappy city roads here in Montreal. We will see if I feel the same once I have spent more time on the 20's in the spring. Turning radius is so-so, but compared to the X4 its a dream. On the X4 I was constatntly bumping up on the steering stops.

Power wise, even with the extra 20 ponies and 32lbs of torque, the X5 35 is more or less relaxed. I am starting to be able to move it around more quickly now that I am getting used to it, but I see absolutely no reason for me to have a faster version of this car (truck?).

I have had many BMW V8's in the past, and I don't miss them at all. The engine in this car is superb. Also, when in sport mode, I find the transmission has been tuned perfectly, while in the X4, it was much more fussy.

No, I can't comment on the 1 series as I have never driven one, but I do also have an Z4 with the same (?) 35i engine, and its a rocket... just like intended.

My last 5 cars (I am something of a serial trader) have been a 2010 550GT, a 2011 535xi, a 2013 535xi, a 2015 X4 and now this X5. This one drives FAR better than all the rest.

Needless to say I am pleased with my puchase.
Appreciate 0