BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

Michelin Latitude Alpine HP Vs Latitude XIce XI2

Folks:

I am planning to purchase new winter shoes for the 2016 X5 and looking for some guidance in picking either the Michelin Latitude Alpine HP or the Michelin Latitude XICE XI2. I am planning on getting 18 inch package with 255/55/18 tires.

I have been find plenty of reviews on XIce XI2's but I can't find any testimonials for Alpine HP on X5 on Tirerack (my go to source of tire research).

I am in North East where we get ton of snow and frigid temperatures. 70% of the time major roads/freeways are plowed but secondary streets to my house are not plowed in time almost always. I am also into winter sports so usually if a snow storm is on its way, I am most likely heading to the slopes (one of the big reasons I made jump for 435i to X5!).

Any help/guidance is appreciated as I have exhausted this morning without finding anything concrete on Alpine HP's.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

I had a set of 18' Latitude Alpine HP on my previous vehicle 07 MDX...they are not very good in the snow IMO. I would almost say they are closer to an all season than a true snow tire, they were quiet and wore well but deep snow performance was not very good at all. They don't even come close to the Blizzak in snow. I'd say they are more of a city snow tire where the roads are getting plowed in sort order. I haven't tried the XI2 myself but my friend put them on his pickup truck and thought they were good.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

Thanks TallTrees! Decided to go with the XIce XI2's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
JonoSS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaddict View Post
Thanks TallTrees! Decided to go with the XIce XI2's.
I have the Alpin in my X5 East Coast Canada and I find them quite good, better than what originally came with my winter package. My wife has the XIce on her Audi Q5. I find the XIce better in winter (but my car is better!)
Appreciate 0