09-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #45
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKDFW View Post
Come on now. Stop throwing cold water on the dreams of xDrive35i drivers with the MSport option dusting 458s off the line. Little do they know that an Accord V6 will kill them off the line.

By the way, great points.
Yeah, that's why I got my wife an SUV, so she could race Honda Accords and douchebags that think this way….

The adults in the room were debating whether or not there were any differences beyond cosmetics in the various lines. No-one claimed any of it was a drastic change in performance, nor that any of it makes this 6600 lb SUV a track car. We certainly weren't talking about stop-light to stop-light "racing" either.

Last edited by chrisny; 09-02-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #46
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
I see, what threw me off was that it wasn't listed in Luxury description on build site while it was for xLine. Now I realize why the 2014 F15 I test drove had a skinny wheel, I guess that was the stock wheel. Thanks.
Hey Golden Horn,

This is a pic of the rear bumper cover accents
Top is a plastic satin matches the window trim and satin roof rails
Bottom is brushed aluminum matches the front "skid plate" and side cover sill

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #47
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
I would get it with Luxury Line or No Line... Depends on availability
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #48
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Hey Golden Horn,

This is a pic of the rear bumper cover accents
Top is a plastic satin matches the window trim and satin roof rails
Bottom is brushed aluminum matches the front "skid plate" and side cover sill

[ ]
[ ]

Thank you very much!
I actually spotted an xLine in our office parking lot but since I never get a chance to see the owner, I don't want to look like a weirdo touching his/her ride.
I can also clearly see the front grill (or lower bumper intakes?) accents are actually plastic as well, not aluminum like the bumper skid.

You said side cover, so does this mean you don't have running boards? I can't make up my mind if I should go with or without them (no cost difference in USA)
Going with them gives more sporty looks and nice edge, but without they look more rugged and matches the rear very well however gives the illusion of ride being lower than it is, rugged but softer, (especially with Jet Black or Space Gray) and I can't tell if they are as functional as they were with E70.

vs

Last edited by hyde; 09-02-2014 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #49
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Hi Golden,
Aesthetically in real life, the running boards make the side profile more aggressive and truck-like appearance.

May I also suggest Black Sapphire Metallic as to Jet Black. BSM looks more dramatic on any lighting conditions.

The bottom rocker panel looks "naked" without the running boards in my opinion.

Benefits are
-washing the roof, loading stuff on the roof rack
-stepping on and off for average height people
-less aluminum to oxidize and take care of especially during winter
-acts like a mudguard, protects the bottom doors from dirt and debris
-aesthetically proportionate

Cons
-narrower than the E70
-could be lower like on other trucks

I am also planning on clear coating the front skid plate. Funny thing is the rear aluminum trim is clear coated from factory.

Now, onto the real life pictures:

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #50
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Awesome review on the running boards, definitely the key reason I pick xLine over Msport. My color is Dark Graphite which is very similar to BSM effect. Great looking X5!

Now I am not sure whether to just paint all the plastic part of the trim to match body color. I have been X6 painted their running boards and it looked awesome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #51
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Hi Golden,
Aesthetically in real life, the running boards make the side profile more aggressive and truck-like appearance.
May I also suggest Black Sapphire Metallic as to Jet Black. BSM looks more dramatic on any lighting conditions.
Thanks for all the info, I think you sold me on running boards. I just wanted to make it different in comparison to all that is out there, but looking at it more closely, I noticed that without running boards, more of the black unpainted plastic is visible so I might go with running boards after all.

I don't remember where, but I read somewhere jet black does not show the fine scratches as much as Metallic paint on BMW and overall gives a less glossy look. I haven't had a chance to see both in person for a comparison but if it is anything like the DSB that I currently have, I am not impressed with the paint quality at all, it chipped and peeled at slightest scratch and left nasty white marks. I can't tell if this is due to paint type or if BMW USA is not painting the vehicles as good as they do in BMW Germany.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #52
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
Awesome review on the running boards, definitely the key reason I pick xLine over Msport. My color is Dark Graphite which is very similar to BSM effect. Great looking X5!

Now I am not sure whether to just paint all the plastic part of the trim to match body color. I have been X6 painted their running boards and it looked awesome.
Great, you reminded me how great that red looked on X5 and X6 and how we can't get it on F15 anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #53
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I would actually list the "-narrower than the E70" as a pro of F15 running boards compared to the E70 boards, but I guess it depends on how/if you plan to use them (as opposed to just preferring the look). With the wider boards on my E70, I used to constantly get my pants dirty brushing against them. Yes, you can step out wide, but it's impossible to completely avoid it and it can be just a slight pain to have to step around them. I ended up getting an M Sport this time, so no boards. But had I not, would have definitely gotten the boards on either an x-line or luxury (you can add them to luxury, it just doesn't come with them).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #54
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I would actually list the "-narrower than the E70" as a pro of F15 running boards compared to the E70 boards, but I guess it depends on how/if you plan to use them (as opposed to just preferring the look). With the wider boards on my E70, I used to constantly get my pants dirty brushing against them. Yes, you can step out wide, but it's impossible to completely avoid it and it can be just a slight pain to have to step around them. I ended up getting an M Sport this time, so no boards. But had I not, would have definitely gotten the boards on either an x-line or luxury (you can add them to luxury, it just doesn't come with them).
I think it's something you will have to adjust through various steps lol, but I see your point. At the end of day I would take that shortcoming over having all these dirty shoes/snowboard boots in my car just to put up the gears on roof.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #55
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
I think it's something you will have to adjust through various steps lol, but I see your point. At the end of day I would take that shortcoming over having all these dirty shoes/snowboard boots in my car just to put up the gears on roof.
Yeah, that's a good point. Even just getting in the car with dirty or snow filled boots/shoes, I am always afraid to tap my heels on the car to get it off like I would if I had the running boards, or if I just didn't have the plastic skirting.. I could definitely see the more narrow boards being slightly less useful for loading things on the roof than the E70 boards. Once the doors are open though, do they give you a similar footprint as the E70 boards? I thought I read someone on here comparing them saying they were similar, just that the F15's are tucked away better when the doors were closed..

Last edited by chrisny; 09-02-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #56
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's a good point. Even just getting in the car with dirty or snow filled boots/shoes, I am always afraid to tap my heels on the car to get it off like I would if I had the running boards, or if I just didn't have the plastic skirting.. I could definitely see the more narrow boards being slightly less useful for loading things on the roof than the E70 boards. Once the doors are open though, do they give you a similar footprint as the E70 boards? I thought I read someone on here comparing them saying they were similar, just that the F15's are tucked away better when the doors were closed..
You tap your heels on the X5? I usually tap my feet against each other not on the X5, after getting in. I never even thought about doing it with the running boards being so wide like you said, I always got back of my pants dirty especially in narrow parking spots (almost everywhere in NYC).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #57
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think as long as you can have a place to tip toe is already fine to get these gears loaded on roof. Afterward you take the boots off and throw them in the trunk with weather tech mats lol! X5 1, dirty snow/ski boots 0
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #58
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn
Quote:
You tap your heels on the X5? I usually tap my feet against each other not on the X5, after getting in. I never even thought about doing it with the running boards being so wide like you said, I always got back of my pants dirty especially in narrow parking spots (almost everywhere in NYC).
No, I do the same as you with the X5 and with my 335 because of the plastic side skirts with the m sport. Just feel a little silly sometimes "clicking my heels" together lol. Other cars I could get away with tapping my heels against the door jam, not the outside of the car really.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #59
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Chrisny the sport auto in m sport is only software difference. I been right all along lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #60
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

I really hope I can customize my own line... LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #61
ocman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer5 View Post
I spent more time on deciding the line than any other item on my car. In the end I decided for luxury line. It gets you 19" wheels, color coded wheel trim and makes the car look a little more sophisticated in a white. I saw it on a MW but am ordering a AW. I was put off by the cheap plastic vents on the m sport esp at the cost of the package. Never considered xline as I do not like the plastic trim around the wheels nor the running boards.
+1 I had exact thought when choosing my x5
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #62
Mabi
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport

I've chosen M Line for look and performance reasons (with European configuration 2VF adaptative suspension)

I like the full black and metal feeling: Black Sapphire outside, black dakota inside and anthracite headliner with interior and exterior aluminum trims, black roof rails and then a nice 469 20'' alloys.
Appreciate 0