BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #67
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Help Clarify

Hi All -

My i35d foes into production this week and I am still a bit confused. I ordered the Luxury Line with DHP to make sure I got the best handling possible. I could not get the M Package because I also ordered a third row.

My question is this, is there any difference between the DHP with M Suspension combo and DHP without the M Suspension option. I know they are the same price, but there are different codes for the order.

If there is any difference, can someone describe what it is.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #68
Catty
Rep
Drives: X5

In the UK the 2 models are SE & M Sport. My understanding is that they are the same except that the SE springs are 10mm higher creating a slightly higher and softer ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #69
Paddy_Lux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 40d M-Sport

Guys, I need your help re suspension options. I've submitted my order with Adaptive Suspension Dynamic and Adaptive Suspension Comfort but since I still have two weeks to make any changes before the car goes to production I'd like to know what the real difference between M suspension with Adaptive Suspension Dynamic is. As far as I'm concerned the sportiness would be exactly the same on both configurations and the difference would only derive from lack of ASC the later. Can someone (who actually tested both options) tell me what's the difference in Comfort mode? I understand that ASC would have Comfort+ option but would that be much difference vs. M suspension in Comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #70
danny929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue M3 COUPE

Hey Did anyone her get the M adaptive drive?

Is it a harder or stiffer ride in comfort mode in comparison to the standard suspension?

Does it lower the car at all in front?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #71
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny929 View Post
Hey Did anyone her get the M adaptive drive?

Is it a harder or stiffer ride in comfort mode in comparison to the standard suspension?

Does it lower the car at all in front?
I have a 15 X5 50i with the adaptive-M suspension. The adaptive-M has air suspension in the rear only. The specs say it lowers ride height by .04 inches, which I don't see the difference in ride height. What I do feel compared to base suspension is a much smoother and more controlled ride in both comfort and eco-pro. At the same time there is less body roll on corners so it feels more controlled. This is one of the best places to spend your money. I assure you, the ride is much smoother and more comfortable. It is not harsh or stiff and jarring in any way. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #72
danny929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue M3 COUPE

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I ordered it, my concern was the front being lowered, my wife tends to go over parking border curbs
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:41 AM   #73
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

Im still confused. Here we have Adaptive Suspension Comfort, Adaptive Suspension Dynamic and Adaptive Suspension Professional (which is both comfort and dynamic) and ofc the M-sport.

From what I've read so far on BMW's website Comfort is basically electronic damper control while Dynamic is like an upgrade of Comfort adding Dynamic Performance Control and Dynamic Drive (which I believe is the active roll stabilization). All of them are with air suspension at the rear. So what exactly does Professional gives you? I mean with Dynamic you get everything from Comfort plus more.

My conclusion would be that Dynamic lets you have more sporty settings and making the car more stable while Comfort can give more softer settings on the suspension. And Professional let you have all the range from very soft to more sportier settings. I hope this makes sense.
      02-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #74
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Hi All -

My i35d foes into production this week and I am still a bit confused. I ordered the Luxury Line with DHP to make sure I got the best handling possible. I could not get the M Package because I also ordered a third row.

My question is this, is there any difference between the DHP with M Suspension combo and DHP without the M Suspension option. I know they are the same price, but there are different codes for the order.

If there is any difference, can someone describe what it is.

Thanks
Can someone answer this question? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #75
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Can someone answer this question? Thanks.
I have 3rd row seating and the M Sport package... just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 03:43 AM   #76
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmastale View Post
Same here...I just bought a M sport with 3rd row and M adaptive suspension. whats the big deal?
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #77
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmastale View Post
Same here...I just bought a M sport with 3rd row and M adaptive suspension. whats the big deal?
Go Hawks!!!
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #78
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
3rd row seats cuts out the torque vectoring and anti roll which incorporates the special rear diff when you order the full adaptive drives sports option, that's why I never order 3rd row seats.

If you have never had it before you won't miss it, the X6 originally got it first and then it was added to the first X5M in the E70 model. Once you drive the new X5 with it you will understand but if you are going to have 3rd seat with kids you are not going to be driving around in sports mode to get the benefit of it anyway.

I have never found out what the 3rd row seats does to the floor pan of the X5 for the feature not to be installed, someone on the forum would know, but most likely would be the extra bulk of the adaptive suspension parts and maybe the larger diff?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #79
AGV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Good afternoon,

In our country, optional M Sport package (337), also includes the Adaptive M suspension (2FV).
And it can't be removed or replaced with 2VM Comfort suspension settings. It can be added just with 2VP Dynamic suspension settings.

Since I would like to collect F15 50i as close as possible to the F85, I found that on F85, optional package Adaptive M Suspension (2FV), unavailable even at a surcharge. F85 is equipped only with 2VM + 2VP.
Now actually I have a question, why on the F85, optional Adaptive M suspension (2FV), unavailable even at a surcharge? And what is the difference between 2FV and 2VM?

I have some doubts that on F15 it is possible to collect better suspension 2FV + 2VP than actually on F85 2VM + 2VP Is it possible to collect on F15 an identical suspension as on F85?

Last edited by AGV; 06-07-2015 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #80
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This F15 X5 suspension options (see 2014 ordering guide) chart helps clarify the difference between stock, DDC, Adaptive M, and the Dynamic Handling Package and also has the suspensions of some of the X5's competition listed for comparison.

Note: This is a US specific chart.

Attachment 940745
Who created this chart?

Early questions about the validity have gone unanswered.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #81
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

So confused still...
As I understand, all cars have the Eco-comfort-sport option but only the DHP changes the stiffness of the anti roll bars and shocks, correct? M adaptive + axle changes ride height in the rear.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #82
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarls
So confused still...
As I understand, all cars have the Eco-comfort-sport option but only the DHP changes the stiffness of the anti roll bars and shocks, correct? M adaptive + axle changes ride height in the rear.
Adaptive M Suspension also changes the ride stiffness. It tightens the chassis and keeps the x5 flat during cornering.
Not as good as DHP as far as body roll though.
      10-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #83
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This F15 X5 suspension options (see 2014 ordering guide) chart helps clarify the difference between stock, DDC, Adaptive M, and the Dynamic Handling Package and also has the suspensions of some of the X5's competition listed for comparison.

Note: This is a US specific chart.

Attachment 940745
This chart is not in the order guide that you are linking to. Where did this chart come from?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #84
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Thumbs down

Stay away from the stock suspension! Or stay away from this car completely.

I test drove the X5, and I dont know what kind of chassi I tried but it was ok on the highways along the dealer. At least it felt decent after trying the XC90 which was a compelete disaster and a struggle to keep on a straight line on all roads.

Anyway, so I proceeded and ordered a X5. The car of my dreams, the colors, trims etc turned out perfect - but that was about it.

This vehicle turned out to be a complete disaster. It vobbles, vibrates, bangs and jumps on pretty much any surface. The road must pretty much be perfect for the car to actually just roll down it, and sometimes you enter a strip that calms it down, but thats always temporary until I start feeling beaten again.

I started researching what was wrong with this car and yeup, there are plenty of complains on the standard suspension. You guys have been way too mild on the critics however, describing it as "less than impressive" and "harsh on bad roads". It's worse than that, it's a complete disaster that shouldn't be on a car in this segment.

I do however love everything else about it so for a while I figured ordering a new one with DHP or so. But since I rarely sell my cars but rather give them away to some family member, I don't want to end up repairing it for huge amouts in a few years.

So then people tell me that a car this size has to be über-harsh or actually have adaptive springs combined with air suspension in order to drive normally. Oh really? I just drove a twice as big Mercedes Sprinter for a full 1800 miles and came up nothing but sleepy on the other side, while a shorter sunday countryside trip in my X5 makes me feel banged up and sick. The Sprinter has a traditional suspension set up for heavy loads, and yet handle smoother, softer and more stable than today's luxury SUVs.

I try to stay mature and sensible about this but I would so feel so much better if I lit this whole car on fire. After just a few months with the car, I can't take it any more and I'm trying to sell it. It's a thing of beauty but it's undriveable.

And oh, I run on 18 inch non-runflats. Overinflating them actually does reduce some vobbling but instead increases the banging where any other car just floats throught.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #85
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

^^^^Sorry to read of your displeasure with your dream ride.

I cannot underscore how important the choice of the correct suspension for ones needs is. You need to know before you choose just about all of the other variables that exist. Yes DHP is one of the pricier options, but it goes to ALL that is the safety as well as pleasure you will experience with a ride that we hope to have and enjoy for a long time. I couldn't afford to check off all of the option boxes available when I ordered my X. I prioritized exactly what our needs were and budgeted accordingly. Having researched and learned from the valuable experience of the forum members on this forum the ride I have I'm very happy with. It is truly unfortunate that too many, not all, dealers do not make available vehicles with DHP available for comparison purposes. That's where this forum really shines.

There are more than a few forum members who couragesly admitted they made a mistake by not making their choice of suspension the first item on their "must have" list. I'm unaware of anyone regretting having chosen DHP for their suspension needs.

Please take advantage of ALL of the combined experience available on this forum for the purpose of understanding what each choice entails. BMW does a better job of making available just about any combination anyone might need for their specific situation. There is just too much money wasted when someone ultimately doesn't understand why some choices need to be carefully considered more than others.

End of rant.
      03-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #86
e92pvaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just test drove a 5.0i with the m package today. To be honest the ride felt a bit firm in the comfort setting. I am planning on ordering an xline 5.0 with the ZDH(dynamic handling package). Can someone confirm this will allow me to set the suspension to feel even softer in the comfort setting than the car I drove. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #87
XBimmer1
Rep
Drives: Porsche

I recently took delivery of Luxury Line X5 50i with DHP & 3rd Row with rear axle air suspension. Truck really handles like a sports car while making aggressive turns or taking ramps at 40-50mph and I can do it very confidently. Sport mode is my favorite although comfort isn't bad either with the DHP, I still haven't tried sport+ yet (waiting for 1200miles), Im sure it'll be awesome. After a week of daily driving my new car I had a chance to drive an X5 without DHP or air suspension, it felt very bumpy & lousy, could tell the difference within a min and the car exactly felt like comments expressed above by UnhappySwede, Boy - the difference with & without DHP is night & day really! I couldn't wait to get get in my car with the DHP which cost $4500 is worth every penny. Can't wait to complete break in period to enjoy the car thoroughly....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #88
Kurfuerst
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35d

I want to thank all of you to make us aware of the suspension choices. This is quite unique with BMW. If you care about the best driving experience BMW stands out compared to their direct competitors like the XC90 or Q7. All of them have their strong suits for sure.

Taking delivery of my X5 35d X Line with DHP next week. After reading the forum and this thread back in December I decided to ditch the 20 inch rims and dynamic damper control and spend $2K or so more to get DHP.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0