BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
arthurmeireles
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 4.0 Diesel

Its possible to paint the BMW M Performance sport brake retrofit kit?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I was wondering if someone know if itīs possible to paint the sport brake retrofit.
The original BMW M Performance sport brake retrofit kit cost 2700€. Its not an absurd amount but If its possible to paint without peeling off due to heat or whatever, I would paint instead. If someone has another idea to share I would appreciate. Thanks!

[ATTACH]Name:  X6_M_Performance_60_highRes-150x150.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  9.6 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurmeireles View Post
I was wondering if someone know if itīs possible to paint the sport brake retrofit.
The original BMW M Performance sport brake retrofit kit cost 2700€. Its not an absurd amount but If its possible to paint without peeling off due to heat or whatever, I would paint instead. If someone has another idea to share I would appreciate. Thanks!

[ATTACH]Attachment 1306402[/ATTACH]
I've worked on a lot of calipers before, most of them removing paint because paint insulates heat which is bad for a performance product.

If you want to change color, you need to remove the pistons and seals, bleed nipple, etc. Then, have the calipers media blasted to either remove the existing paint for a full repaint or etch the surface so the new paint has something to adhere to.

IMPORTANT: Whoever blasts the calipers needs to protect the cavities that hold the pistons, the brake bleed nipple and the brake line attachment point. Otherwise, you'll get media inside the caliper and contaminate the brake fluid.

Eastwood sells a caliper paint that goes to 500F and goes on heavy for a smooth appearance. Once the caliber is blasted so paint can stick to it, it's a pretty easy job to do at home, and reassembling the caliper is straight-forward.

If you use a media blaster and go down to metal, you can consider powder coating too, which will also resist chipping and you can choose custom colors.
      10-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Cost a lot
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 30d Msport 2015 F15

Don't paint yourself. I have painted several callieprs and after about 2-3 years it starts comming off, no mater how good you prep. The best is to power coat, however as above you have to dis assemble. (Its a bas.... job, however worth it). I did my and they are awsome! My advise is leave these BMW blue, they look awsome, why change.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

+1 for Powdercoat...that's your best bet for good adhesion. It would be nice if they offered the calipers in different colours, much like Porsche, Lamborghini, etc...
Appreciate 0