BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Heated Steering wheel

So I've noticed lately that sometimes my heated wheel gets really nice and toasty and also sometimes is just kinda like warm. Has this happened to anyone before? Also sometimes it starts off nice and hot but after being on a while seems to cool down. Is this related to like a safety feature that cuts off the temp? Wheel temp just seems really inconsistent. Thanks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Eurogreek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5

I have a 2018 with about 5k miles and I think the steering whee, temp is horrible. My 07 was way better. I also would like to know if something is possible to increase the temp.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
So I've noticed lately that sometimes my heated wheel gets really nice and toasty and also sometimes is just kinda like warm. Has this happened to anyone before? Also sometimes it starts off nice and hot but after being on a while seems to cool down. Is this related to like a safety feature that cuts off the temp? Wheel temp just seems really inconsistent. Thanks!!!!
I noticed exactly the same and ended up filing it under "life is not perfect".
No idea about why or how to improve it.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogreek View Post
I have a 2018 with about 5k miles and I think the steering whee, temp is horrible. My 07 was way better. I also would like to know if something is possible to increase the temp.
see if bmw can replace it for free
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
I noticed exactly the same and ended up filing it under "life is not perfect".
No idea about why or how to improve it.
I like the way you think!

Curiously, though, I have the same experience, that the wheel feels hotter (warmer?) certain times more than others. I guess I put it in the “oh well” category too.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
jelt110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.5x w/RC RS; M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I like the way you think!

Curiously, though, I have the same experience, that the wheel feels hotter (warmer?) certain times more than others. I guess I put it in the “oh well” category too.
Ditto- but it's good enough when it's 0 or -20. Makes a huge difference. Between that and the seat heat- i don't even up the heater settings unless it's less than 15. This is a nice car in the cold.

if it does not act up...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

My old Audi Q7 seemed to modulate the heated wheel so that it would reduce the heat on the wheel as the ambient cabin temperature rose. I found that once the heated wheel was turned on I'd rarely have to turn it off.

With the X5 though I find myself turning it off because once it gets going it's just too hot after a while. It seems to get hotter than the Audi. Maybe it modulates lower too, but haven't figured out any pattern yet. Only a month or so into ownership, so maybe still getting used to it but so far prefer the Audi's heated wheel. They both do the job, but so far the Audi seems to be the more driver-friendly version by not having to turn it on/off often.

Note - on the Audi Q7 forums, lots of complaints that the wheel wasn't hot enough. I guess some didn't like that it reduced output. I guess it might be one of those things where you can't pleas all of the people all of the time...
Appreciate 1