am423647
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
F15 30d Fuel economy

Hi,
This is my first thread on fourm pls pardon my ignorance if this is silly question.

I am from Ireland, bought used 2018 BMW X5 f15 xdrive 30d.
It's lovely car except one factor. Since I bought it 3 weeks ago I have done 600km in it city/motorway. (out of 600 about 250 in traffic and rush hour.).
So far I am getting 8.9/9.2 kmpl ( 11.3/10 l/100 km).
I drive strictly in Eco pro in city and have reasonably light foot. I am not sure if these numbers make sense or there is some issue with car.
Car has done 30k miles and I can see it is serviced every year.
I scour the forums but getting confusing answers hence the specific question.

I haven't used any additives and use regular diesel.

attaching some pictures for further details.

It will be great if someone could shed some light on it as if I go back to dealer I am sure they are going to say it's normal and depends on lot of factors. If there is issue I need to nudge them in right direction as in what checks they should do.

Many thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #2
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

If I understood that correctly, 8.9/9.2 kpl equates to roughly 21 mpg, I'd say it's bout average for what you described, especially considering you have 1/3 of your tank in stop and go, heavy traffic.

Heavy city traffic will have a large impact on economy, even with ECO mode. ECO mode in general is really hit or miss whether or not it will benefit. It provides very minimal, if any benefit on highway, and city still largely depends on conditions and traffic.

Higher speeds burn up more fuel. What speeds do you travel on the motorway, and for how long? Being in Ireland, even though you have 350km of motorway to a tank, I'd imagine thats still relatively short distances each trip? With my US spec X5d anything over 70mph has a significant impact on economy. For reference, 500 miles of pure highway at 70 mph, with no stops and minimal changes in speed I'll see 27ish mpg. 500 highway miles at 55-60 mph I'll see 31-32 mpg, BUT 55-60 mph and 500 highway miles with varying speeds, a couple stop lights, couple stop signs, etc. and I'll see it drop down to 27-28ish again. Short trips will impact economy out of a diesel. My drive to work is 20 miles each way, all highway, with 3 stop signs along the way, and I'll see it drop down to around 25 mpg even though theres no "city" and its technically all highway miles.

On average I'll see 24ish mpg combined with a 50/50 mix of highway and city. My highway speeds are almost always 70mph or higher. My city driving is not in large metropolitan areas and I rarely see heavy traffic. I would guess I'd be at 22ish with heavy traffic.

A lot of new-to-diesel X5 owners buy the vehicle thinking the diesel is going to get them insane fuel economy, but remember it's still a 5,000lb SUV. You won't see results as if it were a diesel 3 series sedan, but compared to a gasser X5, or most any other gasser SUV in it's class the d does great. But that all depends on location, weather, travel speeds, if you have a roof rack, run-flats vs non, loaded with cargo, etc.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2023, 11:40 AM   #3
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

600km isn't far - Keep driving and see where you level out over time. You'll learn the car and how to maximize its efficiency over a few tanks of fuel.

I agree with ///d that many variables will affect your efficiency.

As one data point for your reference, over ~11,000 miles my US 35d has averaged 26.6 MPG (manually calculated) with a ~50/50 mix of city driving and highway roadtrips.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 04:08 PM   #4
am423647
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
Thank you souch cghempel ///d

It all makes sense now. Here in Ireland realistically we can not travel more than 70 mph and that to about an hour at a stretch.

I came from 520d, though I was expecting drop in fuel economy still was bit surprised by amount of drop and was thinking if there is prob with my car or I am doing something wrong (not to mention crazy numbers ppl post online).
I agree, with the time I will understand car better.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 07:28 PM   #5
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

3 simple DIY service items that will help fuel economy:

1) Engine Air filter
2) Fuel filter
3) bump up tire pressure 1-2lbs

I’m 45k miles and I’ve averaged 30.2 mpg over the life of the vehicle. Recently changed the engine air filter and noticed an immediate uptick in economy.
Appreciate 1