BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
gpguy25
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Radio Nightmare

I have a major issue with my radio and every fix I've tried has yet to yield any results. If anyone has any insight or other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

ISSUE: Apple Carplay, Sirius, and Bluetooth Audio/Calling do not work at all.

VEHICLE 2018 BMW X5 35i

FIXES ATTEMPTED (not in any specific order): (1) reset the iDrive by holding the knob down (did this at least 20 times), (2) disconnected the battery and let car sit for 10 mins, (3) installed latest software update 'UPD09051' (twice), (4) reset the software from the menu (twice).

DETAILED EXPLANATION: Essentially, the three things that might help someone with the requisite knowledge identify the issue I am dealing with are the following: (1) I noticed when we had daylight savings time that the clock did not adjust itself automatically, and I believe the car cannot connect to the internet, (2) the Satellite Radio menu option has zero channels listed, like you couldn't tune to a specific channel if you wanted to, because the list is blank and it will try to send you back to the previous menu, which is the list of audio options [and that list is basically AM, FM, SATELLITE and BLUETOOTH], and (3) CarPlay is recognized on my iPhone and you can connect but nothing comes out of the speakers and you can't take any calls.

The only audio that works is AM/FM. No issues with the AM/FM. Volume controls work just fine.

If anyone has anything they think will work, please let me know. I'm debating disconnecting the battery again. I'm at a loss of what else to do.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Are you the original owner?

When did the head unit start to develop these symptoms?

Does your car have the older telematics control unit with 3G modem? This may explain why the car cannot connect to the Internet and why the clock was not reset.

Other problems require deeper diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 03:08 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

A pic is worth a thousand words.

Do you have the original setup or an upgrade from you or previous owner?

Did you renew your Sirius subscription?

Have you paired your phone(s) again to the vehicle since "updating" & "resetting" the software?

Have you googled "BMW software update UPD09051" to see if it has bugs or created issues for other BMW owners?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:19 AM   #4
gpguy25
Rep

I am technically the original owner (bought with 3,000 miles certified) it was the loaner car for the dealer, but I’ve had issues with the radio before but they always fixed themself eventually. Here is the picture of the menu and yes I have a subscription. I have a portable speaker that I listen to it on in the car.

https://ibb.co/wNSyvvR
https://ibb.co/6FDZpQ3
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Can you connect your phone using Bluetooth? Can you connect your phone using USB cord in the arm rest? Is your connected drive services active? You have 2018 so you are not affected by 3G shutdown. How about auxiliary port? Software update your are talking about is very old BTW, if you want to be 100% sure stop by a dealership and ask them for I Step update (later versions of BT software are integrated if I remember correctly). Hard to judge by the pictures provided but to me it looks like satellite radio needs signal resend (under options) in order to get activated, CarPlay part do you know for a fact that your car is equipped with CarPlay, did you decode your vin to confirm? Also check user manual for the iDrive, I feel like it might be just slight confusion on the connectivity and audio options present in your case too.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 02:22 PM   #6
gpguy25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Can you connect your phone using Bluetooth? Can you connect your phone using USB cord in the arm rest? Is your connected drive services active? You have 2018 so you are not affected by 3G shutdown. How about auxiliary port? Software update your are talking about is very old BTW, if you want to be 100% sure stop by a dealership and ask them for I Step update (later versions of BT software are integrated if I remember correctly). Hard to judge by the pictures provided but to me it looks like satellite radio needs signal resend (under options) in order to get activated, CarPlay part do you know for a fact that your car is equipped with CarPlay, did you decode your vin to confirm? Also check user manual for the iDrive, I feel like it might be just slight confusion on the connectivity and audio options present in your case too.
Yes the car has CarPlay I’ve used it for 5 years. I tried the Sirius signal refresh to no avail. Regarding the software update do you have a link to the more recent update? My phone will connect to CarPlay but no sound and nothing shows on the screen like I have no apps or anything. If you look at WiFi signals to connect to on your phone you did see CarPlay and DIRECT signals you can connect to.
Appreciate 0