BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
jhallonline
Rep
Drives: X5

Considering a Manufacturer Buy Back. Can you request the BMW service records?

As the title states, I am considering buying a Manufacturer Buy-Back X5. That said, it would be a lot more comforting to know what the service records say and whether they match what the sales sheet says. Is there a way to request (or even purchase) the BMW service records?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhallonline View Post
As the title states, I am considering buying a Manufacturer Buy-Back X5. That said, it would be a lot more comforting to know what the service records say and whether they match what the sales sheet says. Is there a way to request (or even purchase) the BMW service records?
I recently was at the dealership and I asked nicely and was given a printout of service records on my car I currently have. Considering it's not your car yet - I can see how some info might be sensitive and it might not be as straightforward. I guess it will depend on your attitude, service/sales manager and pure luck lol. Won't hurt to try with a nice bottle of wine/scotch as a small present It's increasingly difficult to say no to a good lad with some nice scotch bottle for a sales manager.
What year, model and mileage is it and for how much if it's not a secret? To be honest I can hardly imagine manufacturer buyback for 3rd generation x5 - there's just not much widespread issues and I wonder what was the reason lol? Unless it was in a state where lemon law exists - then it's understandable.
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      02-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I think it’s a reasonable request, to understand what prompted the buy-back.

As DuSH notes, there’s not a pervasive issue inflicting the F15 so it is likely something more discrete to the model you are interested in. That said, if it were me, would definitely want to know what the cause if the buy-back. And without knowing, would pass.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
HJ478.00
      02-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
jhallonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
I recently was at the dealership and I asked nicely and was given a printout of service records on my car I currently have. Considering it's not your car yet - I can see how some info might be sensitive and it might not be as straightforward. I guess it will depend on your attitude, service/sales manager and pure luck lol. Won't hurt to try with a nice bottle of wine/scotch as a small present It's increasingly difficult to say no to a good lad with some nice scotch bottle for a sales manager.
What year, model and mileage is it and for how much if it's not a secret? To be honest I can hardly imagine manufacturer buyback for 3rd generation x5 - there's just not much widespread issues and I wonder what was the reason lol? Unless it was in a state where lemon law exists - then it's understandable.
The car was in California, so lemon law does apply. That said, this one doesn't sound too minor. Apparently the serpentine belt tensioner failed, which caused the belt to pull into the engine. The "fix" by BMW was to replace the belt, tensioner AND entire new engine, but I think it was a significant enough repair (and took enough time to diagnose) that they didn't want to inconvenience the customer on a 2-month old lease.

I guess my concern is the classic "once a lemon, always a lemon" but with a brand new engine and 3 years remaining on the warranty, it's hard to ignore given that it's selling for the same as an X5 that is two-years older and with 35,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
jhallonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I think it’s a reasonable request, to understand what prompted the buy-back.

As DuSH notes, there’s not a pervasive issue inflicting the F15 so it is likely something more discrete to the model you are interested in. That said, if it were me, would definitely want to know what the cause if the buy-back. And without knowing, would pass.
So the dealer told me that the serpentine belt tensioner failed, which caused the belt to pull into the engine. The "fix" by BMW was to replace the belt, tensioner AND entire new engine, but I think it was a significant enough repair (and took enough time to diagnose) that they didn't want to inconvenience the customer on a 2-month old lease.

I guess my concern is the classic "once a lemon, always a lemon" but with a brand new engine and 3 years remaining on the warranty, it's hard to ignore given that it's selling for the same as an X5 that is two-years older and with 35,000 miles.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      02-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So the dealer told me that the serpentine belt tensioner failed, which caused the belt to pull into the engine. The "fix" by BMW was to replace the belt, tensioner AND entire new engine, but I think it was a significant enough repair (and took enough time to diagnose) that they didn't want to inconvenience the customer on a 2-month old lease.

Ah I see! So it's a 35i then? n55 engine is pretty solid, but unfortunately that "feature" is carried over from n52/54. That's a common issue for n55 engines, but it's not x5 related, as BMW put n55 engines in just about every BMW produced from 1 series to x series.

Solution is to check serpentine belt often (like ever oil change) and if there's even a slightest hint of tensioner wiggle - just replace it and call it a day. It's $150 for parts + labor: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11287628653kt

Not a big deal, I would consider it as a x5 with new engine - so I personally would not worry about it. Even if you go for another 35i - you'll still have that potential bug.

P.S. otherwise 35i is solid engine (but I would go for a more reliable n63tu )
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      02-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
jhallonline
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see! So it's a 35i then? n55 engine is pretty solid, but unfortunately that "feature" is carried over from n52/54. That's a common issue for n55 engines, but it's not x5 related, as BMW put n55 engines in just about every BMW produced from 1 series to x series.

Solution is to check serpentine belt often (like ever oil change) and if there's even a slightest hint of tensioner wiggle - just replace it and call it a day. It's $150 for parts + labor: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11287628653kt

Not a big deal, I would consider it as a x5 with new engine - so I personally would not worry about it. Even if you go for another 35i - you'll still have that potential bug.

P.S. otherwise 35i is solid engine (but I would go for a more reliable n63tu )
Yes, it's a 35i. Is is conceivable that the serpentine belt tensioner failing would lead to a full engine replacement? Does that seem legitimate? It's such a great deal, so I'm inclined to buy it provided it passes my independent inspection.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Yes, it's a 35i. Is is conceivable that the serpentine belt tensioner failing would lead to a full engine replacement? Does that seem legitimate? It's such a great deal, so I'm inclined to buy it provided it passes my independent inspection.
A belt rupturing can do significant damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
jhallonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
A belt rupturing can do significant damage.
Just did some research and does seem like it's somewhat common (at least to the point of there being articles about it). I suppose it's still weird that it would happen at 2,000 miles, but given that they've replaced the belt, tensioner and engine, wouldn't this vehicle essentially be as reliable as a comparable used X5 with the same specs? I don't really mind the branded title in terms of resale, as it's such a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just did some research and does seem like it's somewhat common (at least to the point of there being articles about it). I suppose it's still weird that it would happen at 2,000 miles, but given that they've replaced the belt, tensioner and engine, wouldn't this vehicle essentially be as reliable as a comparable used X5 with the same specs? I don't really mind the branded title in terms of resale, as it's such a good deal.
Yeah, so the issue is that belt gets sucked into the engine through oil gasket and then pieces of belt gets everywhere inside the engine (folks at F30 are very familiar with this). Basically forcing to open it up completely and clean it - which considering labor costs is more expensive than just replace engine and call it a day.
It's a silliest annoying bug, but it is what it is However, it's NOT really widespread - you need to really be lucky to get same issue twice. That been said there was a guy who was struck by lightning 7 times, so you never know lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan
Yeah, if you don't mind branded title - and deal is good - it's going to be as good as any 35i. They changed that design flaw in b58 engine (the one that is in new Supra lol).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Buying a BMW buy-back car can be tricky, it was discussed here before, I wouldn't risk it, usually it takes some time and effort to make the manufacturer buy the car back. I would proceed with caution and keep in mind that in California you should get a written disclosure about the nature of the lemon issue, the repairs performed, and that the specific lemon issue is protected by warranty for one year. (CA Civil Code §1793.23) Also once the car is branded title, lemon law doesn't apply to it anymore, there is no "double lemon".
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #12
jhallonline
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, so the issue is that belt gets sucked into the engine through oil gasket and then pieces of belt gets everywhere inside the engine (folks at F30 are very familiar with this). Basically forcing to open it up completely and clean it - which considering labor costs is more expensive than just replace engine and call it a day.
It's a silliest annoying bug, but it is what it is However, it's NOT really widespread - you need to really be lucky to get same issue twice. That been said there was a guy who was struck by lightning 7 times, so you never know lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan
Yeah, if you don't mind branded title - and deal is good - it's going to be as good as any 35i. They changed that design flaw in b58 engine (the one that is in new Supra lol).
Thanks. That is somewhat reassuring. I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #13
jhallonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Buying a BMW buy-back car can be tricky, it was discussed here before, I wouldn't risk it, usually it takes some time and effort to make the manufacturer buy the car back. I would proceed with caution and keep in mind that in California you should get a written disclosure about the nature of the lemon issue, the repairs performed, and that the specific lemon issue is protected by warranty for one year. (CA Civil Code §1793.23) Also once the car is branded title, lemon law doesn't apply to it anymore, there is no "double lemon".
I would normally agree, but this case seems a bit different. For one, it was a leased vehicle that had the issue only 3 months into the lease. The malfunction is somewhat common, as another poster noted, and it resulted in the entire engine being replaced.

Getting a written disclosure is great advice. Regarding the lemon issue being protected by warranty, it actually is still under warranty for the full 4 years (so another 3.5 years). I would imagine that even if lemon law doesn't apply, if the same issue occurred next year BMW would still be obligated to fix it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #14
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Your call man, after engine being replaced by dealer car is not same as it came off the factory line. If you feel like the risk worth the money-go for it.
Appreciate 0