BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #1
Rob2014x5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Help on battery drain

Hello, need suggestions please. 2014 X5. Blower motor went out one day. Took to dealership and they replaced blower motor and 3rd stage... 2 days later battery is dead. Owned for 3 years and never had previous issues with car. Saw battery was 4 years old, so chalked it up to age and purchased new one, registered etc. Next day dead... Jumped and drove all day no issues. Stopped that evening and heard fan in engine running. I read they run for 25 min cooling turbos. Mine ran for 2 hrs, so disconnected battery so would not kill another one. Took to dealer next day and they said slight coolant leak at thermostat housing caused motor to think still hot so fan kept running. Made sense... Replaced housing, took home, next day dead NOW, they are saying the second aux battery is low (230CCA vs 500 should be)... GET THIS.. They claim the second aux is the main battery to start the car!! Sent them message to call me this morning because that is not main battery etc and disappointing they said this, and want $800 to replace and register!! What registering?!? There is not IBS connected. UGH! Please give me idea of what you think may be the problem or what to look for. I do not have any additional items installed etc.. I know how to run a multimeter for parasitic draws, but never did it on a car with so many electronics. Thanks so much!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 01:22 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Can you give more model info? We have no clue what engine you have since you only say you have a 2014 X5. Are you gas, diesel., 6 cyl, 8 cyl? What options do you have…like do you have options that would give you a lithium aux battery…or do you have IAS (integrated active steering).

When you say they replaced the “blower motor and 3rd stage”…was this for the HVAC system? Have they ruled out that the drain could be coming from the work they performed since that’s when the battery went toast?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2014x5 View Post
They claim the second aux is the main battery to start the car!! ......and want $800 to replace and register!! What registering?!? There is not IBS connected.
Not sure why they would tell you the second aux battery is the main battery for starting the car. It may help with start/stop along with other accessories, but it's not the Main, it is too small. My previous 2014 X5d didn't have the AUX at all.

Worth noting, the AUX does get registered to the car. Not sure that it actually does anything, but registration is there and is separate from the main battery. When I replaced both of mine, the AUX had less steps to register than the main.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
X5M(s)F15
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Did you ever get this resolved...I'm having the same issues including the blower motor not working.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 10:23 PM   #5
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

May not be related, but I had been having a slow draw that had been happening for a year. Seemed to get worse after the car sits for multiple days. I did some research and thought it may be the water pump since there has been issues with it staying on after the car shuts off. Well, they also mentioned that the comfort access may be a cause of the slow draw. After having my X5 for a couple days, they finally diagnosed it to be the water pump so they just replaced it as well as the thermostat. Fingers crossed that this resolves it. If it doesn't, this car is going.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0