BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2023, 05:36 AM   #1
Dijetoluv@aol.com
Rep
Drives: BMW X-5d

2015 X-5d

New to forum. Desperate for suggestions on where to start trouble shooting.

Driving about 45 MPH engine shuts down. Was able to coast to side of road. Saw message "auto start stop disabled". Hit park, tried to start, heard the starter do something, like it tried to start, but didn't turn the motor over at all. Put battery booster on it, still no go. Saw a message come up "engine can be started in 10 minutes" waitied until it counted down to zero, and did not start. Had it flatbed to local mechanic that I trust but not a BMW mechanic. No codes showing.

Baffled and I will have to bring to dealer and fear they will tell me its 30k to repair everything that is wrong with it. lol Had a bad experience with them on EGR cooler recall.

Any suggestions anyone may have would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Dijetoluv@aol.com; 10-26-2023 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 06:48 AM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Based on what you wrote, I would start by…

-Checking batteries with a proper tester to tell you if the batteries are good… both of them.
-Check alternator output…
-Check Starter…

-if all that checks out, then I would start by checking my Engine Oil Filter. Just unscrew and leave it for a while… you’re just checking for metal shavings… this will help to ensure it’s hopefully not something internal.

Check back in with forum after you’ve knocked this out and tell us what you’ve found?

You’ve got no oil leaks correct?

It difficult with no codes!
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

When you are trying to start the engine- what happens? Can you hear starter? Your engine is turning? Anything at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
Dijetoluv@aol.com
Rep

Thank you all for the responses!! Not sure how to reply to individual posts on phone.

Vehicle is with mechanic so I am unable to troubleshoot it. But, after I last spoke to him, he said he put booster on batterys and the starter did same thing, it’s a little more than a click but doesn’t turn over. He said could be starter but not sure if I want to start dropping hundreds of dollars a pop for “could be’s”. He also said the motor could have possibly seized, which I guess it’s possible but don’t believe that to be the case.

I am leaning toward some sort of electrical issue or battery issue the way the engine shut down. I also found a couple pictures I took that I totally forgot about and found this am. I am not familiar with BMW batteries and if possibly one shorts out and if it will cause the vehicle to shut down.

I did put a FOX code reader on it after it sat at the mechanic garage and it had some low voltage error codes but didn’t have my phone to take pictures. I did find another post on another forum with the very similar issue and similar codes from quite a few years back but there was no response to the post.

I guess it may have to go to the dealership and start the greasing for the raping that will likely ensue.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 12:14 PM   #5
Dijetoluv@aol.com
Rep

Pictures didn’t upload. One said “Battery discharged Start engine”

Other said “Switch off ignition.
Battery will start charging on its own.
It will be possible to start engine shortly.”
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:15 PM   #6
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Definitely sounds electrical, I’d start with checking battery like I said (least costly)… , then starter…. Finally alternator (or vice versa w/ alt). If you can manage to turn the vehicle on with new battery
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 03:22 PM   #7
Dijetoluv@aol.com
Rep

Good advice, thank you. Will update when remedy found.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 02:48 AM   #8
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

I wonder if you chain snapped. That could explain why it died on the road. You need something to read the bmw codes, insta, or BimmerLink or something.

One way to check if the chain snapped is if when you start the car you see the belts in the front turning. But still a no-start. The flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft and the starter spins the flywheel. If the chain broke the hpfp and the cams will not operate.

I dont think it’s the starter, it could be the alternator, but you’d be able to restart the car after the battery was replaced, or charged back up, or jumper with a jump pack.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 04:33 AM   #9
Dijetoluv@aol.com
Rep

As of this writing, still waiting on mechanic to install starter. Batteries were load tested and are supposedly good. It won’t crank at all. Just a sound like the starter engages and thats it. Last I checked, ignition would come on like normal. A bit frustrated with the lack of commitment by my mechanic, but I trust him and he’s a friend. Will update again if/when rectified. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:32 PM   #10
Foti
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 2018

Hello, do you have any update from your mechanic?

I had the same problem today, but i wait 10 minutes and my car stars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0