BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
e92dave
Private
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 335i

Am i the only one who thinks the rear lights are EXACTLY like the Q5's???? Thats all i think of when i see it from behind. As for the rest of it-extremely predictable considering where bmw is going in their designs. I only wish it was a more boxy suv shape rather than crossover shape. But hey if it works for ford's explorer and nissan's pathfinder it'll work for bmw too right? 😒
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #24
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92dave View Post
But hey if it works for ford's explorer and nissan's pathfinder it'll work for bmw too right? 😒
correct, it will but for 30k not for 70k. New X5 I just don't know how some people (No offense) like this new design. I understand interior but exterior?

Thinking of F80

Last edited by bimmer; 09-01-2013 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #25
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Not to worry, the foot thing doesn't work very well anyway
Lol...yeah. At a dealership event couple years back, the sales guy was demonstrating this "magical" feature and it didn't work the first few tries. It was quite amusing to see him shake and swing his leg under the bumper for a few seconds like a goofball. Then he talked about the blind spot detection feature and how cool it was that you didn't have to turn your head back any more to check the blind spot. I told him about the blind spot mirrors you get for $6, which I'd trust more any day than electronic sensors. Finally, he quit showcasing the tech when he realized I wasn't interested in gimmicks but more about the driving experience, which the 535i unfortunately lacked.

Oh well, at least the food was good.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #26
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Why does that indoor button for trunk opening and closing look so counter-intuitive?

Should it not be lift up to open and press down to close?

You could accidentally press it down while driving (though I am sure it is deactivated once the car is in motion).

So cool, you can now open and close the trunk lid with your Key fob, so 2006. I bet they wont advertise that in an official video, it is useful but seems childish to so prominently highlight it!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota

Last edited by bavarianboar; 09-02-2013 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528, 428 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Just keep it moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer
I feel like this car is total disaster. Horrible looking exterior and nice interior. Even LED front lights looks worse than regular Xenos. The worse is side view. Looks sorta like minivan. What happen to innovative designs. Bangle come back!

Boring, very boring looking truck. Merc ML and new x5 are the worse looking lux suvs on the road.

I guess I have to see one in person to be sure. So far I am disappointing. I need a truck bad, so its back to e70 sport 3.5D at discount price.
How can it be a total disaster with a nice interior? Will the hyperbole ever end? I would buy another brand before I buy a 5 series GT. you know how much time I have spent talking negatively about that car? I spent exactly the amount of time it took me to type this as an example.

BTW, I think the X5 looks about as good as any other SUV. I am not a SUV person - I think the RRS and Q5 are the best looking SUVs (to include my wife's X3).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
Rosetta Stoned
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2023 X3

Garage List
Guys wearing blue jeans on the white interior. Nooooo!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #29
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

They should have kept the "off road" capability demonstration out. The X5 climbed over a bump in the dirt. It looks silly. The clearance is not that high on the X5. it's made for the road, don't kid yourself it won't survive off road (unless you consider the unpaved side of the road as off road)
      09-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Lol no. Where in the video is the lower part of the tailgate opening by itself? The upper part is powered, not the lower part. So this whole thing about swinging your foot/leg below the rear bumper to open the trunk automatically so you don't have to lay your precious groceries on the ground to open the trunk yourself, which a lot of people went gaga about...isn't executed properly here.
Ah yes ... I get your point ... my bad, I misread I guess

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
How can it be a total disaster with a nice interior? Will the hyperbole ever end? I would buy another brand before I buy a 5 series GT. you know how much time I have spent talking negatively about that car? I spent exactly the amount of time it took me to type this as an example.

BTW, I think the X5 looks about as good as any other SUV. I am not a SUV person - I think the RRS and Q5 are the best looking SUVs (to include my wife's X3).

You are right, I am focused on the exterior ugliness so much that I expressed myself in wrong fashion. It can't be total disaster with such a beautiful interior. My apologies However, I need a truck so I had so much expectation riding on this car based on previous x5s. Unfortunately the new x5's exterior is total let down for me. I will not buy a car that I can't look at even if it is perfect inside. Besides preliminary reviews indicated that it drives more like Merc than BMW.
I just don't know what is going on with Germans SUV's these days. ML and X5 are ugly, Q7 looks like cemetery vehicle and Cayenne got the front that only mother can love.

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #32
mou11002
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi (E90)

Nice car, but I am not sure if it can compete with all the Mercedes-Benz SUV's out there. IMHO, If I were going to spend that much money on a SUV, I personally would go for a Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528, 428 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Doesn't Range Rover have terrible reliability?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #34
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Doesn't Range Rover have terrible reliability?
They used to. They have improved significantly over the years.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #35
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mou11002 View Post
Nice car, but I am not sure if it can compete with all the Mercedes-Benz SUV's out there.
Well, you can certainly argue that Mercedes managed to get the entire job done. The ML is just as ugly inside as it is outside...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
e92dave
Private
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92dave View Post
But hey if it works for ford's explorer and nissan's pathfinder it'll work for bmw too right? Ÿ˜’
correct, it will but for 30k not for 70k. New X5 I just don't know how some people (No offense) like this new design. I understand interior but exterior?
It was sarcasm- not feeling the crossover shape at all. Give me a boxy suv any day
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #37
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
Maybe the RR has a power lower tailgate?

I wonder how many people realize that BMW used to own Land Rover, and that the 2002 Range Rover shared quite a bit with the e53 and e39. I imagine that BMW felt no qualms about appropriating desirable features to use on the e53, and were certainly within their rights to do so!
If you see a 2014 RRS in person you may change your tune. It looks bland and nothing like the photos. The rear is just plane awful.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Why does that indoor button for trunk opening and closing look so counter-intuitive?

Should it not be lift up to open and press down to close?

You could accidentally press it down while driving (though I am sure it is deactivated once the car is in motion).

So cool, you can now open and close the trunk lid with your Key fob, so 2006. I bet they wont advertise that in an official video, it is useful but seems childish to so prominently highlight it!
Exact same operation as my wife's Benz GL. Maybe its a German thing. Since when does the operation of all BMW controls make perfect sense anyway. Anyone fancy pulling the door handle twice to exit the car? Or crawl all the way in to reach the central unlock button located in the most ridiculous place conceivable.
      09-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #39
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius View Post
Agree. It is funny you say that as I was thinking the same thing when I watched the video. Cars (and not even luxury ones) that are 10 years old already had this technology. It does not even open the lower part automatically. To see BMW spending a lot of time demonstrating it in the video is pathetic. I think they will need a LCI for this car much earlier since it will sit in the dealers patios forever. My friend is the GM for a BMW dealership and they are very concerned with the new price point and how ugly the exterior is.
Not so fast brother. Slap a BMW badge on it and invariably it will sell. Agreed it does not have the most handsome exterior but by the time you factor in the interior, above average if not class leading driving dynamics in the newer models, the technology you get on the inside, and of course BMW's always aggressive lease deals and pricing, you've got a winner. I invite you to find a comparative brand (Audi / MB / Porsche) whose dealers so readily prices cars at 500 - 1000 over invoice (and under invoice if you are aggressive enough) and offers such high residuals on their leases.
      09-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #40
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Lol...yeah. At a dealership event couple years back, the sales guy was demonstrating this "magical" feature and it didn't work the first few tries. It was quite amusing to see him shake and swing his leg under the bumper for a few seconds like a goofball. Then he talked about the blind spot detection feature and how cool it was that you didn't have to turn your head back any more to check the blind spot. I told him about the blind spot mirrors you get for $6, which I'd trust more any day than electronic sensors. Finally, he quit showcasing the tech when he realized I wasn't interested in gimmicks but more about the driving experience, which the 535i unfortunately lacked.

Oh well, at least the food was good.

There could be cheaper alternatives always. For ex, you can add rear view camera to your X5 with a kit available on eBay for $50.
The tech offered by BMW is way expensive compare to similar tech available on Infinity JX35. BMW makes more money than actual car by selling these packages. That's why they package them very carefully keeping at least one mandatory option under each package.

Speaking of tech, I think techies are worthy upgrades compare to Nappa dashboard or interior packages. Your money is well spent even if they help you to prevent an accident. Again, techs are not replacement to actual driving habits but can supplement.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #41
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

door's lock/unlock button on the door now? :O
Appreciate 0