acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
You can turn the HUD off.
Yeah I know, but it's still $1500 for the extended cluster which should be standard in a car starting at $95 000 before options....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #46
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
not sure if i'm late to the discussion but i have the LCD display with driver assist pkg (not plus) with HUD

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #47
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

So, I have no idea why, but I have the LCD display with NO driver assist pkg, but I did order and have the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #48
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Driver assist package (not plus) will get extended LCD display on 35i.

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com

Last edited by RickP; 11-21-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #49
flags
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Driver assist package (not plus) will get LCD display.
The extended display, like in the very first post, or the "shortened" version like in the second post of this thread? Referring to the bottom LCD area. See attached. Does "Driver Assist" package (NOT Plus) receive the top or bottom style?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #50
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

It appears to be dependent on the engine model in the US.
You will get extended LCD if your build meet these conditions:

35i/35d
  • Driver Assistant Package and/or Driver Assistance Plus
50i
  • Executive Package and/or Driver Assistance Plus

You can see the difference in dashes by simply configuring on bmwusa.com

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com

Last edited by RickP; 11-21-2013 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #51
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags View Post
The extended display, like in the very first post, or the "shortened" version like in the second post of this thread? Referring to the bottom LCD area. See attached. Does "Driver Assist" package (NOT Plus) receive the top or bottom style?
Bottom.

I have the base version in the US and it's the top one (which I believe is the one step up from the base globally).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #52
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I would not pay $1500 for Driver Assistant Package just to get the extended display but I am mad that BMW does not make it clear what you get when you choose their packages. Also, my CA did not tell me anything. Don't understand what is the big deal in just being transparent and telling exactly what the differences are among all packages. I am still pissed off that I ended up getting a silver roof bar without not having a clue I could get that in black. Again, the BMW "build your own" site is worthless.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #53
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971
I would not pay $1500 for Driver Assistant Package just to get the extended display but I am mad that BMW does not make it clear what you get when you choose their packages. Also, my CA did not tell me anything. Don't understand what is the big deal in just being transparent and telling exactly what the differences are among all packages. I am still pissed off that I ended up getting a silver roof bar without not having a clue I could get that in black. Again, the BMW "build your own" site is worthless.
Honestly - he probably didn't know. Which is BS, for sure. Blows my mind that these guys miss the opportunity to up sell once they have the deal... With more guidance, I would have picked up the Driver's Assistance Package and Multi Contour Seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #54
AnthonyL88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d M Sport

I think a lot of the CA don't know about it. I was the one who told my CA about it and he said thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #55
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Again, not picking on BMW CA but what amazes me is that everytime I meet one to order a car the first thing they do is to go the "build your own" option on the BMW website. I would expect that they would have a better source to go over all options available and explain the pros and cons of not selecting a specific option. For example, if I knew the stupid dashboard would be "light dead" during the day just because BMW was being cheap and using a less techie instrument cluster if I did not pick Diver Assistant Plus I would then consider the value of the feature in a different way. As someone here said the CA missed an opportunity to sell me that option. I have a mixed feeling about my leasing spot since my lease always ends around November so I am always the guinea pig of getting the first units of the new model coming out and I usually know more about the new car than the CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
I think a lot of the CA don't know about it. I was the one who told my CA about it and he said thanks for letting me know.

Last edited by BMWMN1971; 11-21-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #56
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Again, not picking on BMW CA but what amazes me is that everytime I meet one to order a car the first thing they do is to go the "build your own" option on the BMW website. I would expect that they would have a better source to go over all options available and explain the pros and cons of not selecting a specific option. For example, if I knew the stupid dashboard would be "light dead" during the day just because BMW was being cheap and using a less techie instrument cluster if I did not pick Diver Assistant Plus I would then consider the value of the feature in a different way. As someone here said the CA missed an opportunity to sell me that option. I have a mixed feeling about my leasing spot since my lease always ends around November so I am always the guinea pig of getting the first units of the new model coming out and I usually know more about the new car than the CA.
It all comes back to the web page. That thing needs a lot of work, imo. For a company the size of BMW, they should have a much better web page. One that shows you all the possible options and what each option does and looks like. Not to mention the bugs. How long did it take them to fix the DHP option bug?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #57
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
Same here - my CA had no idea - neither did anyone else at the dealership. I informed him based on the information here on the forums and he validated based on the F15's they had on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #58
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

What exactly you confirmed by looking at the cars in the lot? 1) There are two different instrument clusters based on having or not having Driving Assistance Package or 2) That the extended LCD indeed has full white illumination during daytime including the needles on the speedometer and tachometer.

Please clarify. My dealer says there is no white illumination on the speedometer and tachometer in any version of the cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Same here - my CA had no idea - neither did anyone else at the dealership. I informed him based on the information here on the forums and he validated based on the F15's they had on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What exactly you confirmed by looking at the cars in the lot? 1) There are two different instrument clusters based on having or not having Driving Assistance Package or 2) That the extended LCD indeed has full white illumination during daytime including the needles on the speedometer and tachometer.

Please clarify. My dealer says there is no white illumination on the speedometer and tachometer in any version of the cluster.
He only validated that all of 35i F15's on their lot with Driver Assistance (or DA Plus) had the extended display ... what remains to be seen is if F15 50i's with Executive Package and no DA also get the extended display (which would indicate that the HUD triggers the extended display.)

He did not mention, nor did I ask, about the white illumination.
This is what he is telling me - I have not validated this myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #60
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep

I have a F15 50i with the extended display:
Executive Package
NO Driver Assist packages at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #61
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AresM3 View Post
I have a F15 50i with the extended display:
Executive Package
NO Driver Assist packages at all.
Interesting - good info thanks for sharing - so it looks like, as previously mentioned here a few posts above, that Executive Pkg. on 50i does trigger the extended panel without Driver Assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #62
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

So you guys have been following the "instrument cluster gate" here and I told how frustrated I was that I was not told the car I was ordering would not come with extended display. I clearly expressed my frustration to my CA and sent emails and twitter to several BMW addresses I found in the US and Germany. I still cannot believe that they could not make that transparent to customers when they order a $70k+ car. At least tell me that if I am not getting HUD I will get a cheap and crappy LCD instead of the one they show for you in the dealer. Then, it is my option to pay extra for that or not.

Well, after all the above, this morning I got a call from my dealer saying they would take my car back if I am not satisfied. HOWEVER (and this is a big however) the next production date they have to offer me is for late February 2014 so I would not get my "desired" car until March 2013. According to him all the allocations they have until that date are taken and people are paying deposits to secure a slot. Well, I cannot tell my wife to rent a car for almost 4 months because I am pissed they screw up the instrument cluster. Well, whatever!!! I will enjoy the car the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Interesting - good info thanks for sharing - so it looks like, as previously mentioned here a few posts above, that Executive Pkg. on 50i does trigger the extended panel without Driver Assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #63
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
So you guys have been following the "instrument cluster gate" here and I told how frustrated I was that I was not told the car I was ordering would not come with extended display. I clearly expressed my frustration to my CA and sent emails and twitter to several BMW addresses I found in the US and Germany. I still cannot believe that they could not make that transparent to customers when they order a $70k+ car. At least tell me that if I am not getting HUD I will get a cheap and crappy LCD instead of the one they show for you in the dealer. Then, it is my option to pay extra for that or not.

Well, after all the above, this morning I got a call from my dealer saying they would take my car back if I am not satisfied. HOWEVER (and this is a big however) the next production date they have to offer me is for late February 2014 so I would not get my "desired" car until March 2013. According to him all the allocations they have until that date are taken and people are paying deposits to secure a slot. Well, I cannot tell my wife to rent a car for almost 4 months because I am pissed they screw up the instrument cluster. Well, whatever!!! I will enjoy the car the way it is.
Interesting they would offer you that, nice of BMW to do that!

But why can't they just swap the instrument cluster to the LCD? Would that not be easier/cheaper if you pay for the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #64
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

I asked that and he told me I had to talk to the service department. Forget it!!!! It will be the same people that first told me to bring the car in for repair (because the white lights were not turning on) and later told me that none of the X5 light the cluster in white. I will keep the car as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Interesting they would offer you that, nice of BMW to do that!

But why can't they just swap the instrument cluster to the LCD? Would that not be easier/cheaper if you pay for the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #65
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^MN1971
Sorry to hear about the clusters. Perhaps send an email to the new guy, just cut and paste from your other communications. Who says that they cannot put in a priority production, explained that you have already waited once and silly to wait again. I always say every year there is new stuff so I can never stay on top. In Canada we cannot get many items that Europe has or even what you guys get in US. Also, price wise we are in between Europe & US. Also, ask your dealer for a good deal on a loaner. Anyhow, just some suggestions.

https://www.bmwusfactory.com/bmw_art...manufacturing/
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #66
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Tks for the suggestion. I asked if he could talk to BMW and get me in a priority list but he said he can't. He mentioned that many orders made in November are on a "hold" because of supply issues with cameras and tires. I am OK with the car as it is. As you said you can never keep it up since every year there is an update. This car is a lease and in 3 years I will be more careful when ordering a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
^MN1971
Sorry to hear about the clusters. Perhaps send an email to the new guy, just cut and paste from your other communications. Who says that they cannot put in a priority production, explained that you have already waited once and silly to wait again. I always say every year there is new stuff so I can never stay on top. In Canada we cannot get many items that Europe has or even what you guys get in US. Also, price wise we are in between Europe & US. Also, ask your dealer for a good deal on a loaner. Anyhow, just some suggestions.

https://www.bmwusfactory.com/bmw_art...manufacturing/
Appreciate 0