BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
sbanX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

How to remove coins stuck in rear A/C vents ??

Guys,
I have a 2016 X5. x35i.

my 2 old year old managed to shove in some coins through the rear AC vent. Vents behind the center armrest. Now everytime I take a turn, I can hear those coins moving from one side to the other.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1156318&page=2

As per the suggestion in this thread, I already pryed opened the center panel around the gear shifter / idrive controller but there is nothing under it. I guess only the coins that slip through the front cupholder door show up there.

in my case, coins are probably stuck inside the A/C duct. any ideas on how to take them out?

Thanks,
S Ban
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I recently purchased a handheld tool with a camera on the tip. It came with 3 attachments including grabbing "fingers", a hook and a mganet - it did a similar job but in another vehicle I have. I know it may be a overshoot for just removing a coin one time, but since I have 2 kids I am guaranteed to have similar situations in the future so I bought it. It makes job easy as you can see where tip is going and where foreign object is located

Similar to this, but I have different brand: https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-WIC-...T5V496JPG7WB6A
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
sbanX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Thanks this is a really good idea but I just realized that the vents is a combination of horizontal & vertical louvers (slats)...so even if I manage to pick the coins using the grabbing fingers - how will I get it out of the vent itself?

any help is appreciated...is there a way to just open the vent louvers/slats and then take the coins out - then snap the slats back in place?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanX5 View Post
Thanks this is a really good idea but I just realized that the vents is a combination of horizontal & vertical louvers (slats)...so even if I manage to pick the coins using the grabbing fingers - how will I get it out of the vent itself?

any help is appreciated...is there a way to just open the vent louvers/slats and then take the coins out - then snap the slats back in place?
Depending on the type of coins and their age, a super strong magnet could be up to the task?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 01:50 AM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanX5 View Post

Sorry can't answer that, but on my 328xi I took those vents off completely when I was painting area around vents (paint peeled off from my kids kicking it when in the carseat). So I imagine you can take it off, but there's probably several screws holding it from both sides.

The thing is f15 generation is only 3 years on market and people have not tried many repairs yet, so lack of good DIY is present

I'm sure in Bentley manual this process is described in details. Maybe you can download it or find it somewhere
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

fucking kids.
Appreciate 0