BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

X5 (F15) without M-Adaptive or DHP

Hello,

I am planning on getting a 2014-2015 X5 M Sport 50i for my daily driver and occasional Texas to Colorado snowboard trips. In fact, have one under deposit, but then started reading more about the suspension options, and learned that M Sport package in the US is mostly cosmetic.

It seems most come with stock suspension and people seem to have strong opinions about it. I do not want the American SUV experience, loose and all over the places. Also some people report that stock suspension was inducing motion sickness.

Is a car without the M adaptive or DHP something you should just stay away from given my needs? I have a car for the weekends to blow off the steam, and I don't expect the X5 to handle like a sports car, it is heavy and high.

So, could I get objective comments on this please. Resale value with stock suspension and what would you compare it to in terms of ride quality with stock suspension. Getting motion sickness?

I drove a Toyota 4runner SR5 to Colorado last winter, and that did not want to keep a lane in turns, hated it. So, is the X5 gonna suffer from same issues without the suspension upgrades?

I am coming off an Infiniti Fx35 and always loved the way it handled.

Last edited by anon1000; 08-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
I have a '16 50i M sport with stock suspension. While I do reget not waiting for at least a M Adaptive, I do not find the ride harsh, uncomfortable or sickening. I doubt it will have any affect on resale value in the future. Here on the forum, we are a group of enthusiasts, but your average X5 shopper won't even know to ask about it. Drive the vehicle. Throw it around and see if you like the way it handles. If you like it, buy it. If not, you could be waiting a long time for a used one with both packages and all the other options you desire.

Last edited by Rotzy; 08-07-2017 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      08-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
I have a '16 50i M sport with stock suspension. While I do reget not waiting for at least a M Adaptive, I do not find the ride harsh, uncomfortable or sickening. I doubt it will have any affect on resale value in the future. Here on the forum, we are a group of enthusiasts, but your average X5 shopper won't even know to ask about it. Drive the vehicle. Throw it around and see if you like the way it handles. If you like it, buy it. If not, you could be waiting a long time for a used one with both packages and all th other options you desire.
Thank you. Yeah, that is why I am considering it, tought to find a perfect one. I have a 991TTS for the weekends, so I appreciate a good balance. I am not concerned about it being too harsh or uncomfortable, actually the opposite.

I am concerned it would be too bouncy and would not hold the road and keep a line requiring constant corrections.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
I have a 991TTS.
      08-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Thank you. Yeah, that is why I am considering it, tought to find a perfect one. I have a 991TTS for the weekends, so I appreciate a good balance. I am not concerned about it being too harsh or uncomfortable, actually the opposite.

I am concerned it would be too bouncy and would not hold the road and keep a line requiring constant corrections.
Yes, stock suspension will be a bit on the floaty side, but it's easy to fix with coilovers set, like KW V3 for example, this will be probably more planted and less body roll than M adaptive imho (coming from a e90 with KW V2 that was a LOT better than a oem bmw sport suspension - lowered one)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

At least you were smart enough to research this before pulling the trigger. IMO just because you have a nice sports handling weekend car does not mean that your SUV shouldn't have the same characteristics... it should be more sought after since you can appreciate a good handling vehicle. Put it this way an X5 with DHP or Adaptive M can out handle most sedans on the road today. It keeps all four corners flat, planted and controlled during spirited drives.

However, in a used car market it will be tough to find them since as said above most people who buy these SUV are not interested in sporty drives and dealers don't include them in their builds especially the DHP since it adds a ton in pricing.

Good luck.
      08-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
At least you were smart enough to research this before pulling the trigger. IMO just because you have a nice sports handling weekend car does not mean that your SUV shouldn't have the same characteristics... it should be more sought after since you can appreciate a good handling vehicle. Put it this way an X5 with DHP or Adaptive M can out handle most sedans on the road today. It keeps all four corners flat, planted and controlled during spirited drives.

However, in a used car market it will be tough to find them since as said above most people who buy these SUV are not interested in sporty drives and dealers don't include them in their builds especially the DHP since it adds a ton in pricing.

Good luck.
Thanks. That's the thing, I have one in the color, interior and other options that I want, and it is a CPO. But, just stock suspension. I can feel it is floaty, but not many turns to take in DFW, so tough to say how I would like it in the long run.

So if Suburban is a 1, Cayenne GTS a 10, in terms of handling and road holding, where does the stock suspension and M adaptive land? Are we in 1-4 range for stock suspension, and 6-8 with M adapative? Or less of a difference.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
XXX5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 50i M Sport

I just did a 1600 mile round trip to Virginia with my 50i stock suspension and I thought it handled very well and was comfortable too. My wife amd daughter says the X5 was best of MDX amd Touareg we have had in the past few years, same trip same roads. Holds a line great IMO amd lots of high speed very curvy roads especially in West Virginia thru the mountains it was excellent. Would I like to have DHP amd M adaptive ...sure but I was impressed and in addtion to the other cars above also had 2 Cayenne turbos. 21 mpg too!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

I found the Adaptive M is comfier than stock, but also bouncier with lighter steering feel. I wish it kept the same weight and tightness as cars with the stock setup.

Sports and Sports + is definitely a lot stiffer with much heavier steering, feels like a smaller sports sedan around curves.

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Stock isn't bad as long as you accept the fact that the X5 isn't really something you're going to be carving up the corners in. It's a comfortable highway cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
XXX5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Stock isn't bad as long as you accept the fact that the X5 isn't really something you're going to be carving up the corners in. It's a comfortable highway cruiser.
Not sure I agree with this at all after my trip. Carved up mountain switchbacks at 80 mph plus with ease and confidence. I have owned many sport SUV's and I think mine handles fantastic
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      08-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Very valid question, and an important one at that. To give you some background, my father is on his second F15 and has had Adaptive M on both. I came from an E70 that had DHP. My current F15 has stock suspension. For the type of driving my current F15 will be used for, the suspension won't make a difference. It's driven in Comfort mode 99.99% of the time. I admit I'm someone who suffers from "check the boxes" syndrome, and I like my vehicles loaded as much as possible. But when I was shopping for my current F15, it having either Adaptive M or DHP would have been more about bragging rights than it actually being something I needed.

My wife is over the moon with the F15, and you'll certainly agree that it's an extremely comfortable vehicle.
Appreciate 3
      08-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Hello,

I am planning on getting a 2014-2015 X5 M Sport 50i for my daily driver and occasional Texas to Colorado snowboard trips. In fact, have one under deposit, but then started reading more about the suspension options, and learned that M Sport package in the US is mostly cosmetic.

It seems most come with stock suspension and people seem to have strong opinions about it. I do not want the American SUV experience, loose and all over the places. Also some people report that stock suspension was inducing motion sickness.

Is a car without the M adaptive or DHP something you should just stay away from given my needs? I have a car for the weekends to blow off the steam, and I don't expect the X5 to handle like a sports car, it is heavy and high.

So, could I get objective comments on this please. Resale value with stock suspension and what would you compare it to in terms of ride quality with stock suspension. Getting motion sickness?

I drove a Toyota 4runner SR5 to Colorado last winter, and that did not want to keep a lane in turns, hated it. So, is the X5 gonna suffer from same issues without the suspension upgrades?

Go and get fully loaded suspension DAdaptive Suspension , day and night difference , drives like carting , very predictive and stable in turns .
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya B View Post
Go and get fully loaded suspension DAdaptive Suspension , day and night difference , drives like carting , very predictive and stable in turns .
This is easier said than done when looking for a pre owned X5. Finding one with all the options you want, including an optional suspension, can be very difficult.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 05:26 AM   #15
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Some say that the 50i engine has issues outside of warranty.
I understand that repair costs to DHP can be expensive.
Also, DHP maybe considered wear and tear item, hence no coverage.
Good luck, I had a 2014 50i lots of fun. I didn't get DHP, as wear and tear item and in
a city that is grid pattern would not be beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #16
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Hello,

Don't believe the hype from the guys who didn't pay for DHP and want you to believe M Adaptive gives you "sport car handling" in an X5. It doesn't. And for resale, you won't see much if anything of out M Adaptive. It's a $900 option to begin with. Buy the one with the features that matter more...the things you'll use every day. 99% of the folks on here who fap over their "Adaptive" suspension drive down boring-ass roads to their jobs every day. If you're on the fence, get better creature comforts for the money.

The reality is that M Adaptive and DHP are a world apart (as the price indicates). Don't agonize over the details. You nailed it that the X5 is heavy and high. Folks around here tend to go down the HURR DURR BUT BODY ROLL line of thinking for various reasons, with little understanding of the effect it has on handling overall. Anyone who's driven a newer Miata knows that the MX5 can hold a corner better than nearly anything under $200k and Mazda didn't waste a second engineering body roll out of it. In fact, they relish it for the camber effects.

All that is to say...don't sweat it either way. It's not worth the mental energy. Find the car that fits your price and keeps you happy, and move on to bigger issues. Happy motoring.
P111541.50
      08-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
thaddh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I currently have an m sport x5 with stock suspension and my previous car was a cayenne GTS. My wife drives an Acadia Denali and on a scale the Acadia is a 2, X5 is a 5 and the cayenne a 10. I could exit the highway in a circular off ramp at 65 and the cayenne didn't move, I can't do that in my X5. I will say that's about the only place I notice it. The question is if the added expense is worth it to you personally.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Some say that the 50i engine has issues outside of warranty.
I understand that repair costs to DHP can be expensive.
Also, DHP maybe considered wear and tear item, hence no coverage.
Good luck, I had a 2014 50i lots of fun. I didn't get DHP, as wear and tear item and in
a city that is grid pattern would not be beneficial.
DHP is not a wear and tear item and they're covered under extended warranty. But yes the 50i w/ DHP makes Platinum/gold ext warranty a automatic must have. Those roll bars are like $2k a pop. Air suspension probably the same. Torque diffs yep.

But yes just to add my $.02 the dhp is not something only needed for spirited driving regardless if your in "comfort mode" or not. First you can set sport mode with the sport suspension settings and comfort power train settings (how I start the car up every morning). The tighter steering and better suspension response from simply entering or exiting the hwy is night and day. I have never driven it in the Mtns yet as I live at the beach in Virginia but I feel the difference every day.

Should it be a must for everybody...No of course not. Some people don't but bmw for their handling. But when a company is compared to other German manufacturers and 8/10 that's what sets them apart time and time again then imho not getting a vehicle from that manufacturer (if able, cost, availability, etc) to demonstrate this is curious.

They are harder to find. Took me 3 months looking nearly daily to find mine and then I had to drive 4 states away to get it.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #19
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
DHP is not a wear and tear item and they're covered under extended warranty. But yes the 50i w/ DHP makes Platinum/gold ext warranty a automatic must have. Those roll bars are like $2k a pop. Air suspension probably the same. Torque diffs yep.

But yes just to add my $.02 the dhp is not something only needed for spirited driving regardless if your in "comfort mode" or not. First you can set sport mode with the sport suspension settings and comfort power train settings (how I start the car up every morning). The tighter steering and better suspension response from simply entering or exiting the hwy is night and day. I have never driven it in the Mtns yet as I live at the beach in Virginia but I feel the difference every day.

Should it be a must for everybody...No of course not. Some people don't but bmw for their handling. But when a company is compared to other German manufacturers and 8/10 that's what sets them apart time and time again then imho not getting a vehicle from that manufacturer (if able, cost, availability, etc) to demonstrate this is curious.

They are harder to find. Took me 3 months looking nearly daily to find mine and then I had to drive 4 states away to get it.
Thanks for your learned input. Your truly dedicated perseverance paid off, glad it worked out for you. Canada has dropped the 3rd year for Extended Warranty, for X5/6 it is $10k for 2 years. DHP or M_Adaptive like all stuff comes down to balancing needs with wants. For me personally , needs were safety hence German and SUV versus car handling, electronic safety features, DA plus. More choice is always a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Yikes. I bought a 5 year 60k mile extended last month for $4k
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #21
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

I persoanlly find the stock suspension pretty bad. The car sways and feels very heavy and reacts badly to sudden evasive manoevers.
I just did Eibach lowering springs which have has tightened eveything up just enough to preseve the super comfy ride while leaning less in turns. Ideally a rear sway would make it pretty perfect for me. My weekend car is a 2015 viper so I didnt want a too tight a ride yet not too sloppy either.