BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

DIY (How to) Interior - Ambient Light - Color change.

Bimmer Friends, since I could not really find any detailed instructions about changing the interior Ambient Lighting I thought I'd post this here since I went trough it all yesterday/today. "Share it with everybody that cares "

Sorry the pictures are not the best quality, more some of the worse .

Here is how I did it with one example changing the solid color orange to green (gruen).

BDC_Body -> CAFD_.... -> 3070 LciMaster, A5 -> Function -> GROUP_0_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_1 -> weiss (was orange) -> AMBIENTE_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_1_LAYER_1 -> gruen (was orange) -> AMBIENTE_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_1_LAYER_2 -> gruen (was orange)

This really all you need to do. There are several LAYERS, if you open up the folder "Ausgelesen" you will find the color matching to your current setup (idrive screen -> settings -> lighting ...).

The section _GROUP_ separates the color schemes.
GROUP_#_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_# is the "dome" sector where you only have 2 color options; orange and white (weiss).
AMBIENTE_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_#_LAYER_# is the "dashboard" color and below.

There are 8 LAYERS but not all of them are active (inakitv), I tried selecting them but could not notice any changes, just FYI.

Colors available:

Dome or _GROUP_ (Top Ceiling) White (weiss) or orange.
Rest of the _LAYER'S : Green (gruen), Pink, Purple (lila), violett, ivory_dynamic_blue (elfenbein_dynamisches_blau or eff_dyn_blau), light/bright blue (hellblau), yellow (gelb), ice blue (eisblau), turquoise (tuerkis) light/bright green (hellgruen), orange, light/bright red (hellrot) and white (weiss).

If you go down past the 8 Layers the next color group from idrive will start just like the one above starts with GROUP and so on. Remember that you will not see a change in the name on idrive, it will not be adding names either. In my case for the example the selection orange on idrive is my green, hope that makes sense. If not, let me know (PM).
Another FYI is that after coding the first time (color) the Interior ambient lighting will turn off and not back on until the car goes into "sleep"; this can be 30min after leaving and locking the car. It might even take longer if you leave a computer turned on inside the vehicle (no joke). Just like other parts when coded, the driver mirror will move when data is transferred. Hope I covered everything is not shoot me a PM and I'll do a edit.

EDIT: 12/16/2015

I shot some super horrible phone photos last night after coding all 9 Ambient Light settings , but it just to show the color anyway ...so I hope you all forgive me for not pulling out my good camera again

Either way, some comments to the pictures (additional). First of all I changed all stock blue (eisblau) to eff_dyn_blue, its an intense blue with a little more saturated touch. I changed all white's to green's since I don't like the look at all of the white light... and think green goes good with blue and orange/red (hey its my taste ). Not sure if you can see it but in the first picture I changed layer 2 (was orange) into hellrot (bright red) kinda goes under with the camera light intake but the "hellrot" is pretty much an intense version of orange. I changed the dome light from white to orange on all settings that have one or more layers set in orange. The last setting point is my wife's (Violett, Pink, Pink). Maybe this gives you all a little more "what's possible" even though I did not show all colors. Let me know if you all have any questions!
Attached Images

Last edited by MrTookies; 12-16-2015 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Completing Post + Missing Color added
Appreciate 7
      12-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #2
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 1
Jars914658.00
      12-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post

Thanks , IF you would have read the thread at the time you where posting... You would have known that I had to switch computers because the battery was dying and I did not have the charger with me!

Last edited by MrTookies; 12-14-2015 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
What's the rationale for BMW not to make all these colors optional for drivers to choose without having to go the coding route?
      12-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive
What's the rationale for BMW not to make all these colors optional for drivers to choose without having to go the coding route?
Not sure really, maybe they said to them self..."we been using orange all these years we keep that and just add white and blue for the BMW colors" lol.

Maybe they did not want to overload customers with color option idk. Good question tough.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #6
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTookies View Post
Not sure really, maybe they said to them self..."we been using orange all these years we keep that and just add white and blue for the BMW colors" lol.

Maybe they did not want to overload customers with color option idk. Good question tough.
Or maybe saving them for the LCI?
Appreciate 1
Dinh335711.00
      12-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Hopefully they have more planned for the LCI than just new interior LED color options!
      12-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully they have more planned for the LCI than just new interior LED color options!
Ain't that right haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Allowing 24 choices (8 each for for top, handles and foot rest) is ridiculous and thoughtless in my view. The way to have handled it is to allow color changes by rotating the iDrive controller and seeing the color change as you rotate, like other LED controllers allow. Three rotations would get you the combo you want. Or, further simplify and do as they have. I don't feel like I a missing out by not having a pink, turquoise, green and "Unknown" (see menu drop down in coding pic) lights. Then again, I might want the occasion to make it look like an old fashion pizzeria by having a bright green, white and red combo

Stil, great find. There is so much in the codes to be discovered.
MissVito205.50
EJKrew1.50
      12-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
I wish we code these in addition rather than overriding the existing colours. Not a big fan of removing the OEM colour scheme. I trust that can't be done.
Appreciate 1
SNG_21.50
      12-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
I wish we code these in addition rather than overriding the existing colours. Not a big fan of removing the OEM colour scheme. I trust that can't be done.
I felt the same way, on the other hand there were some color combinations that I would never use...and those get a new touch. BTW I changed the OEM blue to a different blue that is an option, in that case they still match the screen :-) and also changed the orange into bright red.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Do you think the blue looks good with the orange instrument cluster at night? That's what my wife has for her X5. I went with the orange all the way around.
      12-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you think the blue looks good with the orange instrument cluster at night? That's what my wife has for her X5. I went with the orange all the way around.
I mix it up sometimes, I like blue and orange together, I also created a setup where blue is on the mid layer only looks pretty good to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
yk1988
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
GROUP_#_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_# is the "dome" sector where you only have 2 color options; orange and white (weiss).

What is "dome" sector?

Can i change color on the factory combination that has 3 colors?

Thanks

Last edited by yk1988; 12-15-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yk1988
Quote:

What is "dome" sector?

Can i change color on the factory combination that has 3 colors?

Thanks
That's the dome sector (currently in white). You can only change these in either white or orange the other ones you can change in the colors above. Once you go to select the group it will show you the colors available anyway.[IMG][IMG][/IMG] I guess the picture is not posting I'll have to do that later, either way it's where your SOS button is there are two ambient light "LEDs"
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bimmer Friends, since I could not really find any detailed instructions about changing the interior Ambient Lighting I thought I'd post this here since I went trough it all yesterday/today. "Share it with everybody that cares "

Sorry the pictures are not the best quality, more some of the worse .

Here is how I did it with one example changing the solid color orange to green (gruen).

BDC_Body -> CAFD_.... -> 3070 LciMaster, A5 -> Function -> GROUP_0_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_1 -> weiss (was orange) -> AMBIENTE_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_1_LAYER_1 -> gruen (was orange) -> AMBIENTE_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_1_LAYER_2 -> gruen (was orange)

This really all you need to do. There are several LAYERS, if you open up the folder "Ausgelesen" you will find the color matching to your current setup (idrive screen -> settings -> lighting ...).

The section _GROUP_ separates the color schemes.
AMBIENTE_FARBE_ENSEMBLE_#_LAYER_# is the "dashboard" color and below.

There are 8 LAYERS but not all of them are active (inakitv), I tried selecting them but could not notice any changes, just FYI.

Colors available:

Dome or _GROUP_ (Top Ceiling) White (weiss) or orange.
Rest of the _LAYER'S : Green (gruen), Pink, Purple (lila), violett, ivory_dynamic_blue (elfenbein_dynamisches_blau or eff_dyn_blau), light/bright blue (hellblau), yellow (gelb), ice blue (eisblau), turquoise (tuerkis) light/bright green (hellgruen), orange, light/bright red (hellrot) and white (weiss).

If you go down past the 8 Layers the next color group from idrive will start just like the one above starts with GROUP and so on. Remember that you will not see a change in the name on idrive, it will not be adding names either. In my case for the example the selection orange on idrive is my green, hope that makes sense. If not, let me know (PM).
Another FYI is that after coding the first time (color) the Interior ambient lighting will turn off and not back on until the car goes into "sleep"; this can be 30min after leaving and locking the car. It might even take longer if you leave a computer turned on inside the vehicle (no joke). Just like other parts when coded, the driver mirror will move when data is transferred. Hope I covered everything is not shoot me a PM and I'll do a edit.

EDIT: 12/16/2015

I shot some super horrible phone photos last night after coding all 9 Ambient Light settings , but it just to show the color...so I hope you all forgive me for not pulling out my good camera again

Either way, some comments to the pictures (additional). First of all I changed all stock blue (eisblau) to eff_dyn_blue, its an intense blue with a little saturated touch. I changed all white's to green's since I don't like the look at all of the white light... and think green goes good with blue and orange/red (hey its my taste lol). Not sure if you can see it but in the first picture I changed layer 2 into hellrot (bright red) kinda goes under with the camera light intake but the "hellrot" is pretty much an intense version of orange. I changed the dome light from white to orange on all settings that have one or more layers set in orange. The last setting point is my wifes (Violett,Pink,Pink). Maybe this gives you all a little more "what's possible" even though I did not show all colors. Let me know if you all have any questions!
I added some pics above !

I shot some super horrible phone photos last night after coding all 9 Ambient Light settings , but it just to show the color anyway ...so I hope you all forgive me for not pulling out my good camera again

Either way, some comments to the pictures (additional). First of all I changed all stock blue (eisblau) to eff_dyn_blue, its an intense blue with a little more saturated touch. I changed all white's to green's since I don't like the look at all of the white light... and think green goes good with blue and orange/red (hey its my taste ). Not sure if you can see it but in the first picture I changed layer 2 (was orange) into hellrot (bright red) kinda goes under with the camera light intake but the "hellrot" is pretty much an intense version of orange. I changed the dome light from white to orange on all settings that have one or more layers set in orange. The last setting point is my wife's (Violett, Pink, Pink). Maybe this gives you all a little more "what's possible" even though I did not show all colors. Let me know if you all have any questions!
Appreciate 2
F15GorDe261.00
      12-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #17
ibeararms45
Demoted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Allowing 24 choices (8 each for for top, handles and foot rest) is ridiculous and thoughtless in my view. The way to have handled it is to allow color changes by rotating the iDrive controller and seeing the color change as you rotate, like other LED controllers allow. Three rotations would get you the combo you want. Or, further simplify and do as they have. I don't feel like I a missing out by not having a pink, turquoise, green and "Unknown" (see menu drop down in coding pic) lights. Then again, I might want the occasion to make it look like an old fashion pizzeria by having a bright green, white and red combo

Stil, great find. There is so much in the codes to be discovered.

LOL at the pizzeria part! See those colors all over Brooklyn.
      12-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #18
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeararms45 View Post
LOL at the pizzeria part! See those colors all over Brooklyn.
Hey! Who knows, maybe somebody from Italy want's to have those colors HA-HA

Last edited by MrTookies; 12-16-2015 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #19
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
PlayTookies, I think you got all the festive colours happening. Wife's going to be happy with you.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #20
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Or maybe saving them for the LCI?
They might have saved them for the new 7. Since it has all the colors there by default.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
They might have saved them for the new 7. Since it has all the colors there by default.
Sure could be...to bad they don't give you all the options form the get go at least when you buy the car with almost every option package.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post
Because outside of the colors choices we currently have, those are pretty ugly. Green, purple, violet, barf
Appreciate 0