BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2017, 04:14 AM   #23
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I sell my cars private party. Those buyers know exactly what options they want, and are willing to pay for it. My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 was the most expensive listed on Autotrader, and it sold for full ask to a discrerning buyer across the country.
That sounds like a massive pain.

Anyway, your anecdotal experience is not how the real world majority of used auto transactions take place. If it works for you, then great, however it might be a good idea to not perpetuate false info.

The reality is that very few options gets you your money back proportionally on any car. Loaded cars are the worst in terms of relative resale.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:19 AM   #24
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
+1

I have pretty much a fully loaded F10 5 series except for DHP and I constantly find similarly equipped vehicles going for just a small amount more than far less loaded models. Even though I paid almost $7-8k in purchase cost over the other model that sold for about $1000 less.
Exactly. The more "exotic" the option, the less you get back.

Sometimes an "exotic" option can even make your car worth less than another if it is an option that scares used buyers away because of a potentially costly repair. This is more so seen on lux brands.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #25
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
That sounds like a massive pain.

Anyway, your anecdotal experience is not how the real world majority of used auto transactions take place. If it works for you, then great, however it might be a good idea to not perpetuate false info.

The reality is that very few options gets you your money back proportionally on any car. Loaded cars are the worst in terms of relative resale.
It's actually incredibly easy! But if you've had issues selling cars privately, or have had bad experiences, then you are probably better off trading them in. Everyone buys and sells with a different strategy. To each their own. It's worked in my favor on the last three vehicles I've sold privately. I've yet to trade a car in.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Sometimes an "exotic" option can even make your car worth less than another if it is an option that scares used buyers away because of a potentially costly repair. This is more so seen on lux brands.
What, in your opinion, are "exotic" options on the X5 that would be detrimental to a buyer?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #27
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

What, in your opinion, are "exotic" options on the X5 that would be detrimental to a buyer?
Night vision with pedestrian detection? B&O upgrade?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Night vision with pedestrian detection? B&O upgrade?
Agreed.

I didnt use night vision once in the few years I had it on my F01.

B&O was freaking awesome in the F01, but I hard to justify the cost, and in my cause almost impossible to find in a gently used one.

The way I see it, if I get 10 cents on the dollar for the upgrades, I am happy. Heck, these things would be so much pain to fix out of warranty, I wouldn't want them.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #29
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Why are we talking about resale. OP asked what were the options he should look to get. The ones you can't live without. Not which ones will warrant him the most when he attempts to sell it again down the road.

And yes the B&O is amazing
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #30
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Much appreciate your input everyone! I ended up buying a 14' 50i 1-owner (after 3 year lease) CPO with only 21k miles. Unfortunately it's not a M-Sport and no air suspension or anything, but it's fairly good equipped and I am happy!

Last edited by Captain comic; 07-27-2017 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #31
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not basing anything on opinion. Just facts. However, I can guess which options can scare away buyers based on experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:19 AM   #32
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Why are we talking about resale. OP asked what were the options he should look to get. The ones you can't live without. Not which ones will warrant him the most when he attempts to sell it again down the road.

And yes the B&O is amazing
We?

Anywho...if you read the thread and have a grasp of conversation then you can see why resale is being discussed. If you have an issue with that then you might want to relax a bit and stay off the internet.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #33
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain comic View Post
Much appreciate your input everyone! I ended up buying a 14' 50i 1-owner (after 3 year lease) CPO with only 21k miles. Unfortunately it's not a M-Sport and no air suspension or anything, but it's fairly good equipped and I am happy!

I hate 448 style 19' rims that I want change soon and then I'll venture to light modding, nothing serious, just reflectors, tint, maybe some CF
Congrats, man.

But how will you ever enjoy your X5 without all of the silly M logos that come with the Msport? <- that's a joke...because you're going to blow by all of our 35i models.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2017, 06:43 AM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
We?

Anywho...if you read the thread and have a grasp of conversation then you can see why resale is being discussed. If you have an issue with that then you might want to relax a bit and stay off the internet.
There's no need to get so aggressive chief...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #35
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
Agreed.

I didnt use night vision once in the few years I had it on my F01.

B&O was freaking awesome in the F01, but I hard to justify the cost, and in my cause almost impossible to find in a gently used one.

The way I see it, if I get 10 cents on the dollar for the upgrades, I am happy. Heck, these things would be so much pain to fix out of warranty, I wouldn't want them.
The panoramic sunroof was the most expensive item to fail on my E70. And that is something all F15s share, no matter if you have a bottom of the barrel model or a beautiful, fully loaded example. And that is why I don't really feel comfortable owning any of these models out of warranty, regardless if they have all the fun options, or not...

I'd love to poll the owners on this forum, and see how many folks have had issues with components we all share vs. desirable components, such as B&O, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Nappa package, DHP, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:51 AM   #36
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Congrats, man.

But how will you ever enjoy your X5 without all of the silly M logos that come with the Msport? <- that's a joke...because you're going to blow by all of our 35i models.
But man, those M Sports sure do look good, right? I'd argue it's probably THE most desired option when folks are shopping for an X5.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #37
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats, man.

But man, those M Sports sure do look good, right? I'd argue it's probably THE most desired option when folks are shopping for an X5.
What is interesting to note is some people really don't have attention to details and believe it or not but some potential buyers especially new to BMW can hardly differentiate from xline/ luxline / msport on our X5. They can't see how the fender flares, and the aero bumpers front and rear make the X5 look aesthetically more pleasing. They can't tell the difference between the black plastic bumpers that break up the flow on the non Msport lines. They only see the roundel and badges and that's all they care about. So to them a xline or a lux line look just as sporty as the Msport.

Eventually when they take a peek in the random photo thread, they start to see and understand the differences especially when they see cars like mine with the front carbon fiber splitter installed and how beautiful the Msport F15 really are. I'm willing to bet that my X5 has caused a lot of buyers remorse in this community
      07-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #38
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Lol just breath man. Just wanted to stay on topic for the OP sake.

Anywho glad you picked one up man! What options did you go for?! And no worries about the M line as You can always add the full package for a few grand. Most options are not that easy to add if not impossible. As long as it makes you happy while you own it then that's what matters.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #39
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
after coming from a no line F30 335i i swore to never get another BMW w/o the M-Sport package ever again. No offense to the non m-sport owners, it just looks great....

i know that 95% of the package is just visual upgrades... but that steering wheel!!
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      07-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #40
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Congrats, man.

What is interesting to note is some people really don't have attention to details and believe it or not but some potential buyers especially new to BMW can hardly differentiate from xline/ luxline / msport on our X5. They can't see how the fender flares, and the aero bumpers front and rear make the X5 look aesthetically more pleasing. They can't tell the difference between the black plastic bumpers that break up the flow on the non Msport lines. They only see the roundel and badges and that's all they care about. So to them a xline or a lux line look just as sporty as the Msport.

Eventually when they take a peek in the random photo thread, they start to see and understand the differences especially when they see cars like mine with the front carbon fiber splitter installed and how beautiful the Msport F15 really are. I'm willing to bet that my X5 has caused a lot of buyers remorse in this community
Yes, guilty as charged.

Got a F15 w/o MSport even though my F10 has it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #41
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F15 View Post
Quote:
after coming from a no line F30 335i i swore to never get another BMW w/o the M-Sport package ever again. No offense to the non m-sport owners, it just looks great....

i know that 95% of the package is just visual upgrades... but that steering wheel!!
100% true. The regular wheel feels too thin and oversized? I wonder if that's just down to the shape or if it's indeed really bigger than MSport steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Agree. Most will have buyer's remorse, and that's why I see a post every now and then about adding the kit after the fact, which is not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
100% true. The regular wheel feels too thin and oversized? I wonder if that's just down to the shape or if it's indeed really bigger than MSport steering wheel.
I did an M Track Day yesterday, and drove several Ms on the COTA track with the M Performance alcantara steering wheel. You won't want that M steering wheel anymore, trust me!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #44
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:

True - but there is the other approach a wise friend once told me and that was that the time you spend with your vehicle is on the inside, not looking at it from the outside. Helped me move away from some decisions on looks many times.

Happy driving!
Appreciate 0