BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-22-2024, 08:22 PM   #1
Cameron711
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 f15

Battery died and doors don’t lock unlock with key, pls help!

Hi all! First post here but I’ve been so lucky to have had this forum to help me through some diy x5 issues! Recently I’ve had battery discharging fast issues. So with the help of this forum I was able to remove and replace both the main and aux battery and register the battery using BimmerLink.

And then the car purred for 3 weeks, and even went on a 800 mile round trip without any issue. The day after the road trip, the car wouldn’t start. Like not turn or anything. In fact the lights wouldn’t turn on, no electronics would work. I looked at all battery terminal connections to make sure nothing got dislodged and all looks good. So I jumpstarted the car, let the battery charge and it was reading over 14v when running and 13v when off, which from what I read means battery is strong and alternator is doing its job. The past 24 hours it seems to be holding battery charge and starting as it should.

The issue I have now is neither key unlocks or locks the car. When the key is in the car the engine starts though. I don’t have to hold it to the steering wheel it just needs to be in the car. I changed batteries on both key fobs just in case and still no luck. Any idea where to start?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #2
imkazaam
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3, 2014 x5 3.0i

Wow, that's weird. I wish I could help you, I've just recently had issues with batteries and had to replace both myself. Can you share a link to the details you used to get your batteries registered?

EDIT: Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? Or looked for a blown fuse? What did you use to charge your batteries?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 11:36 PM   #3
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

I suspect the car is in transport mode. I am unsure of any workaround to avoid needing a scan tool or ISTA to attempt reset to normal mode. If it is in transport mode some of ther things will not function or function less like no delay for interior lights when door is closed and the delayed radio play will not function. Transport mode is a reduced battery drain mode for shipping when the car may be started and run briefly for loading and unloading to/from trucks, train, ships.

As to battery registration: if main battery is replaced with same amp-hour and type (AGM is original, flooded lead-acid (FLA) is a conventional liquid electrolyte battery, then you only need registration. If the battery type or rating is changed the coding for type needs to be done. The auxiliary battery on vehicles equipped with that, will only need a reset. ISTA or a capable scan tool will do these battery services. Foxwell, TopDon, Autel, Launch, and others that list the battery change resets have the feature. I have a Thinktool Pro S and it has the capabiity.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 09:24 AM   #4
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
You can also use BimmerLink to check for codes and if any modules have errors. Might be good just to check.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0