BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Nexus 5X Bricked

Sitting at home 4 days ago, watching Colbert with - literally - my phone lying on my chest. Felt a buzz picked it up and it's rebooting.

No big deal, right? Well it seems somewhere in downloading 7.1.1, it bricked!

Have tried all recovery options, no dice, Even the power+down volume lands me back at the Google logo.

So this is what kills me, am on two factor for work - and a ton of other stuff - and was forced to run to a T-Mobile store and by a new phone. Picked up a S7 as it's the closest in performance to the 5X, but now after 2 days of real use, totally unimpressed.

Google gets UX, the S7 is miles behind where I was with the 5X, a two year old phone.

So my point, is there any chance to recover the 5X? Or am I toast?

Wanted a Pixel, but those are sold out and work requires a phone *now*.

Thoughts? Suggestions for recovery?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

http://hackaday.com/2017/03/21/fix-a...s-5x-bootloop/

Was just reading about this yesterday. Apparently this is pretty common during upgrades as these phones age. The processor gets so hot while updating that some shield or underfill separates from the chip.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

downfalls of the snapdragon cpus. They run too hot and zaps a lot of battery
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, actually got Google to RMA one for free, it'll be a refurb, but still better than having a paperweight.

Bad thing is that I bought an S7 - Pixel was sold out - and not sure it'll be here in time to meet the 14 day return...we'll see!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
divitorobert
Registered
Rep
Drives: Tesla

What if your phone is so bricked that it won't even show up with the boot loader. The screen stays black no matter if I charge it or not 
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by divitorobert View Post
What if your phone is so bricked that it won't even show up with the boot loader. The screen stays black no matter if I charge it or not 
What worked for me was that CNET had an article where Google said that they will replace any (Supported, 5X, 6P, Pixel) Nexus device that bricks due to 7.1.1

That's what I told the rep and they honored what was stated in the CNET article. I'd give that a try!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Update, got so have switched back to the 5X, I was past the return for the S7, but just hated the UI on that phone, especially the text messaging and phone apps. Tried to download a couple of APK's but no luck, Samsung has a lock on the S7

If they'd pay attention to material design UX like google did, I may have stayed, but the crappy fingerprint scanner, horrible phone UI and text messaging apps killed it for me. Hope you read this Samsung. Now that $500 phone is going to my 9yo as an app device...ugh!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Yeah I have had Nexus phones since the Nexus 3. Never looked back. Now I am sitting on the 6P and my wife has the Pixel XL. 6P is amazing.. My nexus 5 (the original 5) is still in my drawer, I could never part with that phone... Legendary!

M
      03-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
Yeah I have had Nexus phones since the Nexus 3. Never looked back. Now I am sitting on the 6P and my wife has the Pixel XL. 6P is amazing.. My nexus 5 (the original 5) is still in my drawer, I could never part with that phone... Legendary!

M
Totally get you, have been a G-nerd since the first google branded phone came out and have owned one of each since the galaxy nexus

Scary, but am so bought in that I have an OnHub and Mesh network, love that I can 100% control our kids content and access. Bravo, Google!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep

Well, I joined the club today.

Tried opening a text message and the screen froze like it had a memory leak or something, then endlessly restarted itself until the battery ran out.

It made it to the android start screen a couple times, and it actually booted up one time for about 5 minutes, then crashed again when I tried opening an app.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Well, I joined the club today.

Tried opening a text message and the screen froze like it had a memory leak or something, then endlessly restarted itself until the battery ran out.

It made it to the android start screen a couple times, and it actually booted up one time for about 5 minutes, then crashed again when I tried opening an app.
get on a chat with Google support, they have been killer!

Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
RJ_1202.50
      04-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
get on a chat with Google support, they have been killer!

Good Luck!
They were really helpful. I received the replacement yesterday! It's a refurbished 5X, but it is basically new as far as I can tell.

It ran itself out of battery twice, and actually booted up 3 times. I cleared the cache one time, and factory reset it another time. When it finally started up after the reset, I was able to use it for a solid 20 minutes or so with no issues, but the first time I tried to restart it, it never came back.

One odd thing comparing the new one to a friends 5X, it feels like my replacement is slightly heavier than the old one. Maybe they put a small heatsink on the chip or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
They were really helpful. I received the replacement yesterday! It's a refurbished 5X, but it is basically new as far as I can tell.

It ran itself out of battery twice, and actually booted up 3 times. I cleared the cache one time, and factory reset it another time. When it finally started up after the reset, I was able to use it for a solid 20 minutes or so with no issues, but the first time I tried to restart it, it never came back.

One odd thing comparing the new one to a friends 5X, it feels like my replacement is slightly heavier than the old one. Maybe they put a small heatsink on the chip or something?
Yah, so my my *2nd* refurb RMA now. The 1st vibrated once in my pocket, pulled it out and it had the flashing red light in the speaker grill like my original when it bricked. Sent it back, got a new one two weeks, but now about half the time when it restarts it gives me a dead andriod on its back with a "error" message. I've been able to use the recovery shortcut on start up to get it back, but it's not boding well for this one's longevity.

To that end, I went and bought a LG G5 last week that was on sale since the G6 was coming out for $300 unlocked and have not looked back. The 5X is now for "the kids". Can't have a phone for work - where everything is two factor to log in - crashing like this. Lame, as I was such a Google enthusiast
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Yah, so my my *2nd* refurb RMA now. The 1st vibrated once in my pocket, pulled it out and it had the flashing red light in the speaker grill like my original when it bricked. Sent it back, got a new one two weeks, but now about half the time when it restarts it gives me a dead andriod on its back with a "error" message. I've been able to use the recovery shortcut on start up to get it back, but it's not boding well for this one's longevity.

To that end, I went and bought a LG G5 last week that was on sale since the G6 was coming out for $300 unlocked and have not looked back. The 5X is now for "the kids". Can't have a phone for work - where everything is two factor to log in - crashing like this. Lame, as I was such a Google enthusiast
That sucks. Sorry about your luck. I'm glad this one seems to be working, I've loved google's products too, but I would have left had this not worked out.

I had to call Google Fi support a couple days after receiving my replacement 5X because the SIM card stopped being recognized. But it's been working fine since then. This one is a little more "creaky" between the back cover and the rest of the phone, but otherwise no complaints.
Appreciate 0