United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Nintendo Switch

Worldwide debut is today!

I haven't owned a Nintendo console (sans portables) since Gamecube so I'm quite excited to try this thing out when I get home.

While I do like Zelda, I was hoping for more game selections at launch.

Anyone else get their Nintendo Switch yet?

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Worldwide debut is today!

I haven't owned a Nintendo console (sans portables) since Gamecube so I'm quite excited to try this thing out when I get home.

While I do like Zelda, I was hoping for more game selections at launch.

Anyone else get their Nintendo Switch yet?
Picked one up at Target this morning. They had a ton.

A colleague of mine came back from BB an hour ago and said they still has Switches for sale.

I'll be hooking up my Zelda box and firing it up when I get home. The tradition of me buying a console solely for Zelda continues.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I'll probably convince myself to get one once Mario Cart comes out later in April.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

A colleague of mine came back from BB an hour ago and said they still has Switches for sale.

I'll be hooking up my Zelda box and firing it up when I get home. The tradition of me buying a console solely for Zelda continues.
Yea I'm surprised at the number of available Switches.
My girlfriend picked one up for me this morning, even though we missed the preorder, also from Target.

Though, the colored ones were gone almost immediately.

It's the 30th anniversary of Zelda this year

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Nerd.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
fecurtis3260.00
      03-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Got mine. Zelda is amazing.

Played it for at least 5 hours and have accomplished nothing.

The world is so big.
      03-04-2017, 04:07 AM   #7
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Got mine. Zelda is amazing.

Played it for at least 5 hours and have accomplished nothing.

The world is so big.
Same here. After climbing several mountains I end up right where I started

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
I played Zelda with my son last night. Another awesome version. Zelda has always delivered. Beautiful graphics and great open world.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Played about 5 hours in and this game is pretty sick. Colors def look better on the tablet than on tv though. The TV output only showed 900p instead of 1080......
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

If this system was $200 I would go buy it but $300 for one game is just too much. I dont think I would use it for anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I played Zelda with my son last night. Another awesome version. Zelda has always delivered. Beautiful graphics and great open world.
I concur. This game took me by surprise. Zelda was always good, but I wasn't expecting this level of realistic gameplay. Even the little things like the current of the rivers, the slippery slopes during rain, and Link getting hit, bouncing off a cliff and into a body of water, and then slowly drowning to death from lack of stamina. Just a great execution.

Zelda BOTW is now the highest rated video game of this decade.
I'm impressed as well. BOTW sets a new bar for the future of the Zelda series.

It took some to get used to the open world.
I was completely lost an running in circles for a few hours during the Great Plateau but it gets better and better once you figure out how not to freeze to death in the snow and complete all the Great Plateau shrines. It's a huge map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Played about 5 hours in and this game is pretty sick. Colors def look better on the tablet than on tv though. The TV output only showed 900p instead of 1080......
Interesting observation.
Technically, the max output to TV is 1080p (1920 × 1080) while the tablet/portable display is 6.2-inch (1280 × 720 LCD @ 237 PPI).
I couldn't tell a noticeable difference in colors between the two modes though.
Perhaps what you're seeing is a difference in PPI

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #12
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Oh man I wish I hadn't read this. It's almost 20yrs since Ocarina of Time and that game just blew me away. Just amazing!

Bob
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

It's a strange feeling to play a Zelda game in which you can be killed in one shot.

Fun game though that's for sure, a lot of attention to detail and strategizing is pretty fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
It's a strange feeling to play a Zelda game in which you can be killed in one shot.

Fun game though that's for sure, a lot of attention to detail and strategizing is pretty fun.
The details are quite amazing. I find myself gazing at the 360° views through the mist and fog atop the highest summits. It's oddly refreshing in a way.

Quite easy to get killed...Here I am with 6 heart containers and still getting killed in one shot by larger monsters.

It's nice that there's little to no penalty for dying though.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #15
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post

Interesting observation.
Technically, the max output to TV is 1080p (1920 × 1080) while the tablet/portable display is 6.2-inch (1280 × 720 LCD @ 237 PPI).
I couldn't tell a noticeable difference in colors between the two modes though.
Perhaps what you're seeing is a difference in PPI
Funny enough I think it may be my crappy vizio LED tv(120hz). Everything just looked washed out. Hooked it up to my Acer predator gaming pc monitor and it looks way better.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I'm thinking about getting one, but looks like they are selling for well over MSRP so I can wait.

Anyone here have one yet? Interested in what you like and/or dislike about it.

It's this or an XBox one if I get anything. I don't know why I'm even thinking about it, though. I have my arcade cabinet that I built with MAME & thousands of old console & arcade games that I never use.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #17
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I'm thinking about getting one, but looks like they are selling for well over MSRP so I can wait.

Anyone here have one yet? Interested in what you like and/or dislike about it.

It's this or an XBox one if I get anything. I don't know why I'm even thinking about it, though. I have my arcade cabinet that I built with MAME & thousands of old console & arcade games that I never use.
I've had the Switch since launch day. I've had a very fun two weeks with it and would recommend it.
But before we get into my experience with the Switch, let's discuss your priorities with your next console.

Specs:
Do you consider yourself a "hardcore/serious" gamer or a casual gamer?
There's no strict definition but typically speaking, a "hardcore" gamer cares a lot more about specs/performance. In this respect, the Nintendo Switch is more catered to the casual gamer, although many "serious" gamers also own Switches.
On paper (specs-wise), it is eclipsed by both the PS4 and XBox One in resolution, memory, storage, etc.
The Switch is technically not a head-to-head competitor with PS4 and XBone. Nintendo has taken it upon itself to stop the "arms race", if you will, with Sony & Microsoft, so objectively speaking, the hardware on the Switch is inferior to both.
If you're looking for a powerhouse of a console, then the Switch isn't it, so ask yourself about the importance of a large hard drive, 4K resolution, etc.

Library:
What games do you like/want to play?
Nintendo has traditionally based its success off of its own recurring titles & franchises that are unavailable on other platforms. Incidentally, the availability of third-party games is significantly less on Nintendo consoles than contemporary Playstation equivalents. I'm not sure where Xbox falls into this, but know that each platform has its own exclusive titles, so fans really do buy consoles just to be able to play certain games.
If you're a Zelda fan or Super Mario fan, then that alone would justify purchasing a Switch.
If you're a Gran Turismo fan, then that alone would justify a PS...If Forza, then XB...etc, etc.
Ask yourself what are some of the titles you enjoy playing, or want to play.

Early Adopter:
One thing to keep in mind is that the Switch has only been out for about two weeks while its "competitors" have been out for much longer.
Game consoles at launch are known to be plagued with bugs/glitches, incomplete features, and a small selection of games.
At the time of writing, apps (web browser, Youtube, Netflix, etc.) are currently unavailable on the Switch and the only game currently worth playing is Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Some people have had defective units where controllers lose connectivity, others have had problems with screens prone to scratching from defective docks.
Just like with PS and XB systems at launch, it's safe to say future patches and updates will add a lot of features and alleviate issues but how the platform matures and develops is hard to gauge. These are the risks of being an early adopter; you have to wait until the platform matures. There are no such risks with PS4 or XBone, as they have been out for a while and their bugs have been worked out and the libraries/selections mature.
You're going to have to decide if you're going to dip your toe in the water or stick with what's more familiar.

Portability:
Okay, this is the big one.
Portability was never considered a factor in home consoles prior to this. Traditionally, people had a console at home, and a separate portable gaming device for on the go. The gaming was mutually exclusive meaning whatever one was playing on the home console is completely incompatible/unrelated to the portable console save for maybe some very basic connectivity (i.e., Pokemon Stadium with Pokemon R/B/Y) for some games. In general, the two worlds do not interact and are considered two difference experiences.
The Switch intends to challenge this by merging the two experiences together into one continuum. It presents itself as a "hybrid-console", both a home console and a mobile console.
The idea is that one can now play a full-fledged home console game in all its graphical glory at home on the big screen, and then within seconds, undock it and take it with you. Whether it's to the bathroom or on the car ride to Vegas, one can continue playing the same game without interruption, distortion in quality, or change in experience.
Ask yourself if this a feature that would be useful to you.
It's not just for on-the-go. Be creative in your deliberation: Suppose you only have one TV in the house shared with your SO/wife and her favorite show starts at 8PM every night. You're playing Zelda/Mario Kart/etc. 8PM comes along; you undock your Switch and continue playing in handheld mode while she watches TV. Everybody wins.

In the Real World - Personal Experience:
It's been an amazing experience so far. Admittedly, part of the reason is due to the experience of Zelda: BOTW, but the Switch is what makes the full experience possible.
Switching from TV to portable mode is a breeze. The transition is smooth as butter with no lag or perceivable loss of quality both ways (even though on paper output resolution is slightly higher than native resolution). Zelda BOTW and the Nintendo operating system have been largely glitch free and bug free in my experience. The only bug i've seen is in Zelda BOTW where there's a minor issue with the timing of the "respawn" feature (Blood Moon) that I'm certain will be patched in the next update.
Hold the Switch in your hand and it feels solid and of good quality.
Though I must say the dock surprised me in that it was completely plastic with no soft materials (the source of much controversy and scratched screens), but everything else feels top-notch.
Okay, the screen is plastic as well, but this has been true of all Nintendo handhelds from the GameBoy to the 3DS. Get a screen protector and be done with it.
I was underwhelmed at the lack of game selections at launch but Zelda BOTW quickly became one of my all-time favorite games.
I'm waiting/hoping for more built-in features/apps but I've really enjoyed playing Zelda BOTW and being able to take it with me as I please.
It's an amazing experience when a full-fledged, open-world game with such complexity can fit in the palm of you hands.
The Switch is truly a console that is flexible in that you can play "console quality" games on your TV at home and then continue anywhere else you please, and vice-versa.

Last edited by Law; 03-19-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Does it have frogger, or pitfall
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #19
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Uber

Will be buying this strictly for the zelda games.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #20
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Getting one around here has been a pain in the rear end. Sold out everywhere and when they restock you have to stand in line for HOURS which I will not be doing. I'm all caught up on the games I wanted to play for ps4 (Horizon, Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Nier Auto) and most of the other games I will be playing do not release until the fall.

I've tried Craigslist and most sellers either dont respond, have already sold or want $100-$200 over MRSP.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #21
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

I picked up the switch. I like the handheld game play but charging the console and the controllers is really annoying! I guess I'll have to shell out another 70 bucks for a pro controller.

That aside, Zelda is really well done. Great game.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #22
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C1Boston View Post
I picked up the switch. I like the handheld game play but charging the console and the controllers is really annoying! I guess I'll have to shell out another 70 bucks for a pro controller.

That aside, Zelda is really well done. Great game.
Buy the Nintendo Switch - Joy-Con Charging Grip ($29) to charge joy cons and plug it into the docking station w/the included cable.
Appreciate 0