BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2023, 06:44 AM   #1
XXeddieXX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

BM3 Flex Fuel Kit

Anyone using the BM3 flex fuel kit on their F15? I’ve tried several attempts, back and forth emails, pictures, videos with Protunningfreaks , can’t get the ethanol content to read. I went through all their trouble shooting suggestions, sent the kit to them for inspection, got it back and had the same issue. The tach drops to zero when I test and the dashboard reads 0 through the app.

They are telling the the kit is compatible with the F15. Wondering if anyone else has tried using on their F15?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 07:02 AM   #2
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Bumping the thread
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
So I went through this when I installed my Zeitronix kit. I initially had the CAN signals reversed so once I corrected that I was able to get ethanol readings.

Might check how they’ve pinned their plug since our chassis is quite unique vs other F chassis cars. I’m glad their new unit fits the fuel pump top hat though because their first iteration didn’t.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 03:18 AM   #4
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
do you put ethanol now ?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:27 PM   #5
hound
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bump...were you able to get it working?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 01:15 PM   #6
XXeddieXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

The BM3 flex fuel kit did not work on the F15. The fuel fitting coming out of the pump is on a 90 degree angle which won’t allow for proper fitting. I went back and forth with protunning freaks and they were adamant it should work based on the VIN #.

I ended up with a similar setup to sukhk. I made my own setup using the Zeitronix kit, tuned with BM3 OTS multimap. I tapped into the CAN high/low from the EKP under the back seat since I had it removed messing with the BM3 kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:27 PM   #7
hound
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXeddieXX View Post
The BM3 flex fuel kit did not work on the F15. The fuel fitting coming out of the pump is on a 90 degree angle which won’t allow for proper fitting. I went back and forth with protunning freaks and they were adamant it should work based on the VIN #.

I ended up with a similar setup to sukhk. I made my own setup using the Zeitronix kit, tuned with BM3 OTS multimap. I tapped into the CAN high/low from the EKP under the back seat since I had it removed messing with the BM3 kit.
Thanks very much for the update, I think this will save me alot of time and effort.

Would you be able to provide me with the exact details of what you ordered re the Zeitronix kit. I'm currently on their website, but it is not absolutely clear for me.

Was it the Ethanol Content Analyzer ECA-2 CAN Bus Kit?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 09:44 PM   #8
XXeddieXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound View Post
Thanks very much for the update, I think this will save me alot of time and effort.

Would you be able to provide me with the exact details of what you ordered re the Zeitronix kit. I'm currently on their website, but it is not absolutely clear for me.

Was it the Ethanol Content Analyzer ECA-2 CAN Bus Kit?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, you’ll need the ECA-2 analyzer, flex fuel sensor, fuel line with connectors. The video in this link shares the connector sizes needed. I’ve been running similar set up since October with no issues.

https://zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA2CAN.shtml
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:46 PM   #9
GrannySShifting
Registered
Rep
Drives: E65 745i, F10 528i

What do you have done to your truck, and how far can the factory pump/injector system support on e85?

Is this an n55 or the V8
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 03:58 PM   #10
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nice to see a couple more folks on the Zeitronix train .
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 10:31 AM   #11
XXeddieXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannySShifting View Post
What do you have done to your truck, and how far can the factory pump/injector system support on e85?

Is this an n55 or the V8
It’s the N55 with all basic bolt-ons. DP, charge pipe, intake, intercooler, colder plugs, tuned with OTS map. Waiting to install a hpfp to increase the ethanol. Currently running an e30 blend which is close to the max on stock fuel pumps. Getting the HPFP replaced will let me run a e50 blend.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 10:36 AM   #12
XXeddieXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Nice to see a couple more folks on the Zeitronix train .
This was going to be a stock daily driver for me until I started following your thread. Curiosity hit and I shamelessly started borrowing your ideas
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272166.50
      02-09-2024, 10:24 PM   #13
hound
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you’ll need the ECA-2 analyzer, flex fuel sensor, fuel line with connectors. The video in this link shares the connector sizes needed. I’ve been running similar set up since October with no issues.

Perfect - thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 10:26 PM   #14
hound
Rep

Quote:
It’s the N55 with all basic bolt-ons. DP, charge pipe, intake, intercooler, colder plugs, tuned with OTS map. Waiting to install a hpfp to increase the ethanol. Currently running an e30 blend which is close to the max on stock fuel pumps. Getting the HPFP replaced will let me run a e50 blend.
With your current e30 blend, do you have any dyno graphs or indication what type of whp you are now making?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 12:16 PM   #15
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
stock turbo , stock hpfp e30 cars generally make 360-380whp with the 8AT and XDrive. For reference , my stock turbo upgraded hpfp e50 car made 440whp on a DynoJet. You don’t get the full benefit of e30 until you upgrade the hpfp.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 02:19 PM   #16
hound
Rep

Quote:

Just to confirm, you ordered the exact flex fuel sensor in the Youtube link?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6883772

Part#: Continental SE1004S FlexFuel Ethanol Sensor

While the video says N55, I have been reading alot that the top of our LPFP are different, hence my clarification.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:35 AM   #17
XXeddieXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound View Post
Just to confirm, you ordered the exact flex fuel sensor in the Youtube link?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6883772

Part#: Continental SE1004S FlexFuel Ethanol Sensor

While the video says N55, I have been reading alot that the top of our LPFP are different, hence my clarification.
The continental sensor will work. I ended up installing the sensor in the engine bay not in the back seat. I couldn’t get an ethanol reading when I tried hooking it up like the BM3 kit. Installing in the engine bay allows you to run your wiring through the firewall since the fuel line is near the access point.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272166.50
      02-12-2024, 08:50 PM   #18
hound
Rep

Quote:
The continental sensor will work. I ended up installing the sensor in the engine bay not in the back seat. I couldn’t get an ethanol reading when I tried hooking it up like the BM3 kit. Installing in the engine bay allows you to run your wiring through the firewall since the fuel line is near the access point.
Ok - understood, thanks very much!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:38 PM   #19
hound
Rep

Quote:
I need some help, I went the Zeitronix method.
For underneath the passenger side footwell, can you confirm what connector and pin numbers I should be using for:

1. Can hi and
2. Can Lo

for the PT- Can Connections ?

If you could share any pics, that would greatly assist.
Appreciate 0