BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2024, 07:27 PM   #1
MicHardcastle
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

Mirror Question

I need a little help. I have done my research, but there is limited information on what I want to accomplish. I cracked my X5 (F15) right mirror when a mailbox jumped out into the road, or it may have been me not paying attention. I have all the parts to fix the mirror except the part with the five-dollar trim I cracked, which costs $1100 at the dealership because they only sell the entire assembly. You all know this piece of information.

Here is the question I need help with, I want to:

Option One:
Find a cheap F15 salvage mirror with fewer options than mine.
Disassemble the mirror at the folding motor.
Attach part A of the salvage mirror to my X5s part B.
Note: My mirror has every option except surround view.

Option two: if possible, remove the high gloss trim (part A) on the salvage mirror and repurpose it on my mirrors—part A.

The task may seem like a lot of effort, but I am cheap and don't like handing cash over to the man. (say the person who drives a luxury car).

Note: My mirror has every option except surround view.

The question is, Part A a standard across all F15 models.
Attached Images

Last edited by MicHardcastle; 02-21-2024 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: I forgot to pose the question at the end.
Appreciate 1
destroy26165.00
      02-22-2024, 05:49 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The answer to if part A is standard across all f15 models is simply to look that part up in one of the online part database sites like www.bimmercat.com or www.realoem.com .

When you pull up the diagram for the mirrors…scroll down to the part number index below the diagram and find the 11 digit BMW part number for part A. Read any info that is in the supplemental columns if there are multiple selections…then click on the 11 digit BMW part number. This will pull up a new page that gives you additional info as to other BMW models that use that same part.

EDIT: I couldn't access the parts database earlier when I first replied...but based on the diagram...part A & B comes as one unit...they are not separate pieces. In fact, it is #1 in the diagram and parts database...and comes with all the pieces that are "bracketed" to it (#3, #4, #5, #6). If any of the other pieces that are "bracketed" to #1 get broken or need repair...you can purchase them by their item number separately....but pars A & B that you have highlighted in your original post is #1 in the diagram and again, comes with #3,#4,#5,  as one piece

If you remove yours...you can determine if those two parts can be separated or not...but again, they are not sold as separate pieces. If they can be separated...then you may be able to go the used part route and work it that way:

If you 're going to try the used part approach...then make sure that you are poaching from an f15 with the correct mirror. There are two different mirrors...the regular and the ones with auto dimming features (S760A):
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-22-2024 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:47 AM   #3
goate
Private
Rep
Drives: Carbonblack F15 40d

I bought a salvaged set of mirrors when I installed surround view. A and B above are indeed one part and you might be able to separate them but I don't think you'll get them back together again

In your situation I'd get a cheap salvaged mirror that has the glossy cover, don't worry about the exact configuration just make sure it's from a LH car if your car is LH, RH if it's RH as the angle is different. Assuming no internals or wires were damaged in the mishap with the mailbox you can simply transfer those to the new mirror.
Appreciate 0