BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Unhappy Programming garage door opener........

Ok, so after 2 hours of trying to program the garage door opener I had zero success! Any pointers? Yes, I guess I'm the idiot who can't do it......lol
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have you confirmed your garage door system is one listed as compatible with the Homelink system ?

http://www.homelink.com/compatible/products
      04-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Basic programming

1) Switch on the ignition. (Press the stop/start button twice without your foot on the brake pedal, so that all the systems turn on. One press does not turn everything on. And keep you foot off the brake so you dont start the car)

2)Press and hold down both the left most and right most buttons on the rear view mirror for atleast 20 seconds till the LED flashes. (Clears any old memory

3) Hold you remote you want programmed about 2-3 inches away from the mirror and press the remote button you want to program. Simultaneously press and hold the button on the mirror you want to program.

The LED on the mirror will flash slowly then flash fast when programmed.

Release both buttons when programmed.

If your mirror wont open the garage even though the LED showed its programmed you may have to put your garage unit into learning mode and teach it the mirror according to its owners manual.

Please state what you see the LED do when you try and program the mirror
      04-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

I know Homelink products are not compatible with my garage doors, because they use a different frequency from what homelink can handle. Thus, I didn't ordered that option.

Have you checked if yours is compatible (see e90fleet link) ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Last step

The last step after programming the BMW's home link button is to press the learn button on the back of the garage door opener (the one attached to the ceiling) and then press your programmed BMW home link button and hold it down for a few seconds. This will link the two. This is a requirement of most newer rolling code garage door opener systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

This is a long shot, but it was my problem for a while. I have an "Overhead" brand garage door and was trying to program my car buttons. Tried forever and failed until I saw a small footnote in the garage door instructions. I was using a 3 button remote to try to program and I was trying to program the door that opens with button 2. The footnote said that "you can not program a car using button 2 of the remote". No reason was given. To get around this, I temporarily reprogrammed the remote to use button 1 to open the door I was trying to program and then programmed the car using button 1 on the remote to open door 2 and everything worked ok. I have no idea what is behind this restriction, only that it is a real restriction.
Like I said, it's a long shot that this is your problem, but sharing just in case.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

If your garage door opener is like mine, you may need to make it aware of a new device that will be sending open/close commands. For mine it was a small button behind the light cover that I needed to depress that would allow it to accept/learn new devices.

After activating it, there was a 30 sec window where I needed send a signal from the X5's garage door button that I programmed with my garage door remote.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
If your garage door opener is like mine, you may need to make it aware of a new device that will be sending open/close commands. For mine it was a small button behind the light cover that I needed to depress that would allow it to accept/learn new devices.

After activating it, there was a 30 sec window where I needed send a signal from the X5's garage door button that I programmed with my garage door remote.

Hope this helps.
One thing I had to do with my garage door opener was after the mirror is programmed, I had to sync with the garage opener. The manual states to hold down for a few seconds but that did not work. On my older BMW's it stated you had to press the desired mirror button 3 times in a row. I did that and that worked.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Tried all your recommendations and nothing worked, lol! Thank You for all of those suggestions. The funny thing is that it sends a signal to the garage opener, but nothing happens. It's a Overhead Door opener btw.

J
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post
Tried all your recommendations and nothing worked, lol! Thank You for all of those suggestions. The funny thing is that it sends a signal to the garage opener, but nothing happens. It's a Overhead Door opener btw.

J
I had a remote that wasn't working with button 2 for my second garage. So, here's what I did. I have an old overhead system as well. It's a Vemco By Stanley. I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-KL...ge+door+remote.

I opened up the remote, programmed by following the exact instructions on the paper. My overhead is the kind that doesn't have a learn button...it's that old. It has ON/OFF Switches numbered 1-9. The code for that overhead opener is 134678 (because they are all switched on - 2,5,9 are switched off). This remote has a learn function and the old school switch function. Just match the switches on/off exactly as your overhead switch code and then press the black learn button next to the switches to turn on the led - pick which button to program - I chose the first button- then I pressed it 16 times until my garage opened - then I pressed the black learn button again to save this setting for the Universal remote. I then used this universal remote to program my X5 middle garage. I had already programmed 1 and 3 for garage 1 and 3. So, in order to avoid having to erase everything by holding 1 and 3, all you have to do to program an individual garage button is to hold that button until the LED in your rear view mirror starts slowly blinking. As soon as this happens, hold the universal remote button and once the BMW LED starts blinking fast (to establish the connection), let go of both buttons (BMW rear view and universal remote). All done. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #11
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Hope you will have success with this option
P.S. Also wanted to order this option but dealer said to me that this option does not work fine, so advised not to order
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post

J
What marque?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
Hope you will have success with this option
P.S. Also wanted to order this option but dealer said to me that this option does not work fine, so advised not to order
Wow, seriously? Somebody advises not To Order? If it doesnt work, ask for money back and Fell Them To remove it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
Wow, seriously? Somebody advises not To Order? If it doesnt work, ask for money back and Fell Them To remove it.
That is why he advised me not to order as this option does not work good, so I just believed him and did not order it at all.
It is easy to say to get money back!!!
I can tell you for example that at the moment I have 1 month delay of car delivery and factory says that it is due to M package and 469 M wheels, they say that their supplier did not provide enough for the factory and only way to get car in time is to remove these 2 options!
So, I have to wait one month(I hope not more)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
That is why he advised me not to order as this option does not work good, so I just believed him and did not order it at all.
It is easy to say to get money back!!!
I can tell you for example that at the moment I have 1 month delay of car delivery and factory says that it is due to M package and 469 M wheels, they say that their supplier did not provide enough for the factory and only way to get car in time is to remove these 2 options!
So, I have to wait one month(I hope not more)
Sorry to hear this. If it is any constellation at all, I ordered my car in 12/2013 and delivery is set for 7/2014, if NO DEALYS will happen...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
GeorgFF1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i Sedan

how to program your garage door opener

- simple process of programming your remote

- Guidance to reprogram the keypad
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
kip1
Captain
Rep

Just a stupid question, do you need be in front of the door to us it, or should it capture the signal anywhere. When I program it, the light blnks, so it gets a signal, but the door wont move. Frustrating. In the tutorial videos it says that you need to press the button 3 times, but in the owners manual it says you need to press it for three seconds.

I think I can program the car, but I cant get the opener to learn the car. It has a learn button, once the light glows, a second press makes it blink. After multiple times it just doesnt work, and yes it is in the compatible list of homelink.

Last edited by kip1; 08-13-2014 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
My boys were messing around in the wifes X5 and some how wiped the garage door code . I tried to program it back and it was not working... I grabbed the other remote and it was successful. Not sure why by I could not program my homelink with garage remote A but I could program it using garage remote B YET both remotes A/B both open the garage door...

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just a stupid question, do you need be in front of the door to us it, or should it capture the signal anywhere. When I program it, the light blnks, so it gets a signal, but the door wont move. Frustrating. In the tutorial videos it says that you need to press the button 3 times, but in the owners manual it says you need to press it for three seconds.

I think I can program the car, but I cant get the opener to learn the car. It has a learn button, once the light glows, a second press makes it blink. After multiple times it just doesnt work, and yes it is in the compatible list of homelink.
Internet is wrong. Manual is right. It's just trial and error. Did you wait until it flashed rapidly before letting go?

Here's the part from the manual that you need to follow to the dot:

Hold the hand-held transmitter for the system
to be controlled approx. 1 to 3 in/2.5 to
8 cm away from the buttons on the interior
rearview mirror. The required distance depends
on the manual transmitter.
4. Simultaneously press and hold the button
of the desired function on the hand-held transmitter and the button to be programmed
on the interior rearview mirror. The
LED on the interior rearview mirror will begin
flashing slowly.
5. Release both buttons as soon as the LED
flashes more rapidly
. When the LED is
flashing faster, this indicates that the button
on the interior rearview mirror has been
programmed.
If the LED does not flash faster after at
least 60 seconds, change the distance between
the interior rearview mirror and the
hand-held transmitter and repeat the step.
Several more attempts at different distances
may be necessary. Wait at least
15 seconds between attempts.
      08-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
kip1
Captain
Rep

Yes, I did everythig right, the car is programmed and the opener learns the car signal. Also the garage opener flashes to register the push of the homelink and so gets the signal, but the door wont still move, I have a Chamberlain/Liftmaster 5580V lifter and 1A56397 rolling code (identical to 94335e, found on the homelink web page) key ob. It moved once, but nothing more. I contacted homelink, still no answer and also my local garage serviceman. Both were clueless so far. So far my keys work .

Aargghhh, I hate this. Cant enjoy the car as am obsessed with fixing this. I will try to erase all the codes from my opener today and program the car first, then the key fobs, maybe that helps...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I did everythig right, the car is programmed and the opener learns the car signal. Also the garage opener flashes to register the push of the homelink and so gets the signal, but the door wont still move, I have a Chamberlain/Liftmaster 5580V lifter and 1A56397 rolling code (identical to 94335e, found on the homelink web page) key ob. It moved once, but nothing more. I contacted homelink, still no answer and also my local garage serviceman. Both were clueless so far. So far my keys work .

Aargghhh, I hate this. Cant enjoy the car as am obsessed with fixing this. I will try to erase all the codes from my opener today and program the car first, then the key fobs, maybe that helps...
This happened to me on one of my remotes - it refused to work despite being coded correctly. So, I bought this universal remote: http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-KL...ge+door+remote and it took care of the problem. It has both the rolling switch codes inside that you can manually input or use the garage lifter to code via the infrared button if it has one. All the instructions are there. Use this if all else fails.
      08-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #22
kip1
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the info, Ill try that if the trick below fails.

The product that homelink suggested to me:
https://www.shopssl.de/epages/es1056.../?Locale=en_GB

I am going to try first ordering the 94335e key fob as homelink said that it is not the same as my 1A56397, that key is compatible with my lifter and is directly found on the homelink compatibility lift.

BTW, where do you get the rolling codes from?
Appreciate 0