BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
Dr_Mac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35D

Evaporator Coil Cleaning

Hi All,
I unfortunately have the funky A/C smell and the local dealer told me the only thing they can do is replace the evaporator coil for around $3k. I've seen the prior posts for the Klima Cleaner option and purchased a can to give it a shot. I can't for the life of me find a good video on Youtube that clearly shows how to get to the evaporator coil on the X5 for the most effective application (I'm not so sure that just spraying it down the front vents with the hose is a good idea.) Has anyone seen a video with clear instructions or a website perhaps? Maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms, but I can't come up with anything.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Toyota sells a foaming action evaporator cleaner that you instill from the evaporator core drain pipe and a aerosol spray that you spray in the air inlet duct. I did this on my Prius which completely removed all trace of odor for a year but their system is far more simple and without much sensors so I not sure how this will affect on our x5 but is the only true way to effectively clean out the evaporator without dissembling.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

On my old 5 series, I just removed the cabin filters under the hood, set ac on high, then sprayed in thru the air inlet under where the filters sit.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 03:31 AM   #4
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

The dealers can do an Evap clean for about $250. I believe they remove the temp sensor by the footwell to gain access to the evaporator and use a spray lance to disinfect and clean. Make sure to replace the cabin air filters afterwards.

FWIW, I’ve used Klima kool through the front dash vents on my E70 and they worked pretty well. You’ll need to repeat it every 6 mos.
Appreciate 0