Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Questions about MPPK.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
35i owners who have it:
1- is this a package that still gets installed after the vehicle arrives at the dealership or is it added in the factory when vehicle is being assembled?
2- does it increase the fuel efficiency or decrease it?
3- how different does the car become?
4- what does this kit exactly add to the car?
5- who should get it and who shouldn't?
6- is it worth the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

There is so much information on MPPK here if you are willing to take the time and research.. most of your questions can be answered by reading this thread http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1157810

I've done a review on it here http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1170172

Which, I also include the pdf file that answers your questions regarding fuel consumption. According to BMW
Quote:
Comparable consumption despite higher performance. Fuel consumption and emissions levels in the ECE driving cycle correspond to those of the series engine, even though the M Performance Power Kit boosts the engine's performance by an additional 6.66%.
For me personally, I don't pay attention to fuel consumption but I fill up every two weeks just as I did prior to getting the MPPK tune installed. So in my experience consumption is negligible.

Last edited by Kzang; 10-24-2015 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Just get it....you will not regret. The shifts alone are worth it

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
I was wondering how your car hit 0-100 MPH so quickly, then I realized it KPH lol
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post

[url]
My vehicle will not be a M Sport Line.
So not sure if that would make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post
I was wondering how your car hit 0-100 MPH so quickly, then I realized it KPH lol
he's in Canada.. It's in Kilometers not MPHs.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
My vehicle will not be a M Sport Line.
So not sure if that would make a difference.
I don't have msport either (I have xline). I have MPPK and it is worth it. Makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
bmw4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem14 View Post
I don't have msport either (I have xline). I have MPPK and it is worth it. Makes a huge difference.
only reason i have not upgraded is because i feel the stock sport mode is enough to play around with, especially when you live in a city and dont have much room to open it up (maybe on-ramping and such at times). at the end of the day, i dont feel the urge to punch it every time i get a green light. anyway, my silly opinion.

that said, here are my questions: do you always drive in Sport Mode? Does the MPPK make a noticeable difference in Comfort Mode (that's typically where i usually keep it for city driving). i understand sport mode changes with MPPK, but given the fact i drive in Comfort mode most of the time, i'm curious about the experience in this setting.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
That's a good point because I also drive comfort almost all the time...
So is this MPPK more for Sports Mode then?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #11
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4 View Post
only reason i have not upgraded is because i feel the stock sport mode is enough to play around with, especially when you live in a city and dont have much room to open it up (maybe on-ramping and such at times). at the end of the day, I dont feel the urge to punch it every time i get a green light. anyway, my silly opinion.

that said, here are my questions: do you always drive in Sport Mode? Does the MPPK make a noticeable difference in Comfort Mode (that's typically where i usually keep it for city driving). i understand sport mode changes with MPPK, but given the fact i drive in Comfort mode most of the time, i'm curious about the experience in this setting.

Thanks
My first experience with BMW comfort mode was on my test drive of my F10 535. I came from an Infiniti Fx35, which has the similiar specs (about same weight and power), so I expected to be driving a slightly faster car. I started my test drive wondering why the hell any one raved about the powerful N55. It felt so much more slower and sluggish than my FX.
The salesman showed me a controls and put the car in sport and I instantly felt the power and wow factor. That was what a car should drive like. It never occurred to me that comfort mode can be so bland.
The Infiniti was not like that at all. It moved well in normal mode, and better in sport.

The X5's Stock comfort mode doesn't feel much different than the 535i. I press the accelerator and frustratingly waiting for the car to get going.
The MPPK make comfort a little bit more lively on local roads. It's not quite as fun as sport but I'm not as fearful of leaving the car in normal mode.

Comfort still feels the same on the highway.

My Advice:
Besides rambling about how much I hate comfort mode, I wanted to point out that not everyone feels the same way. I'm willing to bet most X5 owners drive in comfort mode, exclusively.
If you're going to buy the MPPK to make Comfort more fun, save your money. You can just put your car in sport mode, for free. I live in the city, so there aren't too many places for me to punch it, so I understand your reservations. If I were driving in comfort only, there's no need to get the kit.

Last edited by twelve535i; 10-25-2015 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

^^ Best advice if you drive comfort mode most of the time.. Why would you want to increase performance on your X5? I hated comfort mode in stock and with the MPPK it is now bearable... but I drive in Sport mode 90% of the time.
      10-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

With the MPPK comfort mode is barely tolerable for me only if i put the sports transmission lever over to the right so its geared a little better. I agree with twelve535 that if you are driving in comfort mode 99% of the time there is really no need to get the MPPK.

I come from cars that all drove very sporty or at least very powerful so anything other than Sport mode is too watered down for me. I like to be in full control of the car. I can't stand the car delaying steering and gas pedal inputs for me.
      10-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
bmw4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4 View Post
only reason i have not upgraded is because i feel the stock sport mode is enough to play around with, especially when you live in a city and dont have much room to open it up (maybe on-ramping and such at times). at the end of the day, I dont feel the urge to punch it every time i get a green light. anyway, my silly opinion.

Thanks
My first experience with BMW comfort mode was on my test drive of my F10 535. I came from an Infiniti Fx35, which has the similiar specs (about same weight and power), so I expected to be driving a slightly faster car. I started my test drive wondering why the hell any one raved about the powerful N55. It felt so much more slower and sluggish than my FX.
The salesman showed me a controls and put the car in sport and I instantly felt the power and wow factor. That was what a car should drive like. It never occurred to me that comfort mode can be so bland.
The Infiniti was not like that at all. It moved well in normal mode, and better in sport.

The X5's Stock comfort mode doesn't feel much different than the 535i. I press the accelerator and frustratingly waiting for the car to get going.
The MPPK make comfort a little bit more lively on local roads. It's not quite as fun as sport but I'm not as fearful of leaving the car in normal mode.

Comfort still feels the same on the highway.

My Advice:
Besides rambling about how much I hate comfort mode, I wanted to point out that not everyone feels the same way. I'm willing to bet most X5 owners drive in comfort mode, exclusively.
If you're going to buy the MPPK to make Comfort more fun, save your money. You can just put your car in sport mode, for free. I live in the city, so there aren't too many places for me to punch it, so I understand your reservations. If I were driving in comfort only, there's no need to get the kit.
Great feedback. This is what I was looking for from everyone here. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
^^ Best advice if you drive comfort mode most of the time.. Why would you want to increase performance on your X5? I hated comfort mode in stock and with the MPPK it is now bearable... but I drive in Sport mode 90% of the time.
excellent...that makes it very easy for me since I will be even adding 2VM ( Comfort Adaptive Suspension), I guess won't be needing MPPK at all. cost saving
Appreciate 0