BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #23
BobDyl
Rep
Drives: 5-series

Just seeing that there might be some confusion generated here.

Danny - the Adaptive M suspension gives you *multiple* driver controlled settings, from "comfort" to "sport plus" which actively change how the suspension is behaving while you are driving (softer to harder). Although stock suspension cars have similar changeable modes, they don't actually change the suspension settings.

The comparison you want is whether Adaptive M *in comfort mode* is more comfortable than the stock suspension. I think the consensus is a resounding yes.

Sorry if you already understand this, but reading the posts I thought there might be some confusion.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Stock setting is 3 modes: Eco Pro, Comfort, and Sport

M-Sport (with M suspension and possibly without it) and DHP give 4: Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport +

With coding, you can get Sport + on any build.
M sport with standard suspension does still gives you Sport +, but it's mostly about throttle. The picture on the iDrive does show you that it is changing the chassis and transmission to "sport oriented settings," but I'm not sure how much difference it makes on the chassis without the adaptive M or DHP. The steering does feel slightly tighter, but it's so slight, that could be my wishful thinking

FWIW, this is my wife's car and she has no complaints. But when I drive it, I do absolutely regret not getting DHP or at least adaptive M. The body roll, even in local, non-spirited driving, is worse than I thought in test drives. Not Toyota bad or anything like that by any means, but not as good as I initially thought.

The upgraded suspensions on the X5, at least since the E70, improve BOTH ride and handling. With the more modern adaptive versions, you get to control to what extent it does each one. But make no mistake, both improve ride quality not just handling.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #25
Rene_Fonck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW X5 35d

For what its worth, DHP, surround view cameras and HUD were the 3 choices I struggled with when buying my now 11 month old X5 diesel. In hindsight I'm glad i got them...they're now the 3 options I can't imagine driving without.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #26
X5RIZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 3.5 Msport

Queens, NYC here

I ordered a 35M sport w the M adaptive suspension...car gets here hopefully next week
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
ocman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

This video shows different settings with DHP in iDrive.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #28
danny929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue M3 COUPE

Thanks Trojan,

Was this chart made by bmw? It does seem like the adaptive m suspension offers more comfort so I am changing my build now, I was just thrown off about bmws claim the drive will be sportier. Does the front suspension change with this option?

Im just nervous about the ride being less soft with it still lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #29
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny929 View Post
Thanks Trojan,

Was this chart made by bmw? It does seem like the adaptive m suspension offers more comfort so I am changing my build now, I was just thrown off about bmws claim the drive will be sportier. Does the front suspension change with this option?

Yes, that is by BMW.

It doesn't affect comfort mode - this will remain comfortable like stock, but more comfortable if you have added the air suspension option for the rear. Sport mode is where the suspension changes occur to increase better road feel and handling.
      12-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #30
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks Trojan,

Yes, the chart is from BMW. I believe the main change to the front suspension is that it is lowered .4 inches.
      12-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #31
danny929
Private First Class
Rep

Exclamation

Oh really???

M adaptive drive gives you a lowered front suspension by .4 inches? How can that not make the front steel shocks stiffer?

Last edited by danny929; 12-04-2014 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #32
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh really???

M adaptive drive gives you a lowered front suspension by .4 inches? How can that not make the front steel shocks stiffer?
Danny - see the chart. The fact that you are getting an air suspension will give the car the ability to absorb bumps whether it is lowered or not. Regardless of the answers you have been provided, you continue to ask the same question. There is no dispute that Adaptive M will give you a more comfortable ride with tighter handling than stock. Users with Adaptive M have already confirmed that the ride is not rough as you fear. With these stated facts being confirmed by everyone on this board, I am having a hard time understanding what your continued concern is. You have not received varied advice here except for the mistaken statement by Opasha that he later retracted. I am not sure what else we can do to provide you comfort. The consensus is that you will not be sorry if you get the Adaptive M and that you would be most happy with DHP that you said you are not willing to spend the money for. Good luck.
      12-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #33
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Danny - see the chart. The fact that you are getting an air suspension will give the car the ability to absorb bumps whether it is lowered or not. Regardless of the answers you have been provided, you continue to ask the same question. There is no dispute that Adaptive M will give you a more comfortable ride with tighter handling than stock. Users with Adaptive M have already confirmed that the ride is not rough as you fear. With these stated facts being confirmed by everyone on this board, I am having a hard time understanding what your continued concern is. You have not received varied advice here except for the mistaken statement by Opasha that he later retracted. I am not sure what else we can do to provide you comfort. The consensus is that you will not be sorry if you get the Adaptive M and that you would be most happy with DHP that you said you are not willing to spend the money for. Good luck.
+1
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #34
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
+1. Danny you will be very happy with the ride if you get this. I have it and it is awesome. If I could have afforded DHP I would have it.
Let us know what you decide..
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #35
ocman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoy4me View Post
+1. Danny you will be very happy with the ride if you get this. I have it and it is awesome. If I could have afforded DHP I would have it.
Let us know what you decide..
+1 for DHP
My car is being built now. I had to make a hard choice going with DHP instead of M package.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #36
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw
Quote:
Oh really???

+3

Although not exactly the same, I have m adaptive on my f30 and it is just awesome. More comfortable than standard and with better handling.

I too don't understand your repeated question over and over?! To me the consensus from the replies is quite clear.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #37
danny929
Private First Class
Rep

I appreciate everyone's help. I have no intention of being annoying. I just was scared to make the new move and skeptical. I made the change to adaptive m. Thanks for everyone's input. The only thing that is new to me is the lowered front suspension which from my understanding is not 100 percent truly there with m adaptive drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #38
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's help. I have no intention of being annoying. I just was scared to make the new move and skeptical. I made the change to adaptive m. Thanks for everyone's input. The only thing that is new to me is the lowered front suspension which from my understanding is not 100 percent truly there with m adaptive drive.
Danny, I understand and had many of the same questions when I was placing my order. I can assure you that you will love the ride, drive and handling of the X5 with Adaptive M suspension. You made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #39
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

Quote:
Stock is softer for sure. Be prepared for body roll and loose steering though.
Don't be mislead....most are very happy with the stock suspension. Certainly not loose. Sport mode even better.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #40
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash52 View Post
Don't be mislead....most are very happy with the stock suspension. Certainly not loose. Sport mode even better.
He's not being mislead...there is plenty of knowledgeable information shared amongst many of us regarding the suspensions. He was given full information on everything. Yes, many are happy with stock. Does that disregard the body roll and decreased handling? No. Many also don't realize how important suspension changes are until they hit higher speeds, weave between traffic, take corners, or drive in snow (yes, the more control you have over your vehicle, the better you will be able to handle in snow). Sport Mode definitely helps tighten up the steering a little bit due to changes in chassis because stock can only modify chassis and drivetrain; however, stock has no changes on the suspension between modes.
      12-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #41
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

Quote:
He's not being mislead...there is plenty of knowledgeable information shared amongst many of us regarding the suspensions. He was given full information on everything. Yes, many are happy with stock. Does that disregard the body roll and decreased handling? No. Many also don't realize how important suspension changes are until they hit higher speeds, weave between traffic, take corners, or drive in snow (yes, the more control you have over your vehicle, the better you will be able to handle in snow). Sport Mode definitely helps tighten up the steering a little bit due to changes in chassis because stock can only modify chassis and drivetrain; however, stock has no changes on the suspension between modes.
Glad you are happy with your choice. You missed the point.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #42
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash52 View Post
Glad you are happy with your choice. You missed the point.
I have stock suspension. I didn't miss the point. The whole purpose of this thread was to advise him on the best suspension for his needs and to make sure he had no regrets after finalizing his build.
      12-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #43
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

I came from a 2008 e70 4.8i sport with Adaptive Drive (adaptive suspension and active roll stabilizers) and just took delivery of my 35i m-sport with adaptive M-suspension and the additional rear air suspension on 20" wheels. So far I'm very happy with my choice, particularly when in sport mode. Slightly more body roll than my e70 with the ARS, but still corners quite flat and handles very well too. In addition, the ride is quite a bit more comfortable compared to the e70 sport. Now if I could find a way to make the car default to sport suspension, that would make my day.
      12-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #44
ocman
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have stock suspension. I didn't miss the point. The whole purpose of this thread was to advise him on the best suspension for his needs and to make sure he had no regrets after finalizing his build.
opasha, dont mind him. Dude is obviously a troll. No
Appreciate 0