BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Mikayel123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 f15 50i

2016 BMW X5 f15 50i drivetrain malfunction

So I have 2016 BMW X5 f15 50i for over a year now it has 70000miles on it, and it's been a few months since I can't figure out what is wrong with the car. Every time when I'm accelerating (I noticed when it gets over 2000rpm that's when it starts to shake and I'm getting the malfunction) the car starts to shake really badly and drivetrain malfunction pops up. But once I turn off and back on the car, it comes back to normal. I changed all 8spark plugs and ignition coils, I changed the fuel injectors too. Everything was done at the BMW Dealership.
I was told that the engine in the car is not the original engine(it is the same model 50i engine but it's not the one that came out from the factory with the car), and at the BMW they told me that they can't fix the problem because they don't know what's the problem, and I was told that it's not gonna make any sense to do more digging because it's gonna cost me a lot of money. Is there anyone who's familiar with this issue, I'm guessing it's something minor since I've replaced all major things. Any suggestions what I can do, what can cause that problem?
I live in NYC if someone can send me a good dealership that might be able to fix it I would highly appreciate.
Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (& M3 E92 for sale)

I just had a similar thing. I dropped the car to my garage, and he just called me to tell me I needed to change some sparks and a coil.
For me the symptoms where when fully accelerating (like on the highway, full throttle), the car goes but has some "hicups". 10 days ago I had the car going in drive train failure on the highway. I could drive slowly but the car was shaking when I was stopped.
Then I switched the car off, then on and no more drive train issue.
I'll update after he changes the sparks and coil.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayel123 View Post
So I have 2016 BMW X5 f15 50i for over a year now it has 70000miles on it, and it's been a few months since I can't figure out what is wrong with the car. Every time when I'm accelerating (I noticed when it gets over 2000rpm that's when it starts to shake and I'm getting the malfunction) the car starts to shake really badly and drivetrain malfunction pops up. But once I turn off and back on the car, it comes back to normal. I changed all 8spark plugs and ignition coils, I changed the fuel injectors too. Everything was done at the BMW Dealership.
I was told that the engine in the car is not the original engine(it is the same model 50i engine but it's not the one that came out from the factory with the car), and at the BMW they told me that they can't fix the problem because they don't know what's the problem, and I was told that it's not gonna make any sense to do more digging because it's gonna cost me a lot of money. Is there anyone who's familiar with this issue, I'm guessing it's something minor since I've replaced all major things. Any suggestions what I can do, what can cause that problem?
I live in NYC if someone can send me a good dealership that might be able to fix it I would highly appreciate.
Thank you
Time to pickup a foxwell nt530 scanner with BMW diagnostic software so you can know what is really going on. It's important to scan the car after a misfire event before you restart it as otherwise the temporary codes can be cleared. Also on the foxwell scanners, if you go under the generic ob2 section you can find misfire counters for each cylinder.

Since you have already replaced the coils and plugs, oxygen sensors, high pressure fuel pumps, boost pressure leaks, bad CCV lines, bad pressure convertors, etc are all suspect. Without the scanner you are flying blind so it's worth the investment to get one, it will save you in the long run, plus it makes dealers nervous when you read your own codes and know what is going on. Less likely to try to take advantage of someone who is well informed.
Appreciate 1
Fknid38.50
      10-26-2021, 10:43 PM   #4
Mikayel123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Thank you
Time to pickup a foxwell nt530 scanner with BMW diagnostic software so you can know what is really going on. It's important to scan the car after a misfire event before you restart it as otherwise the temporary codes can be cleared. Also on the foxwell scanners, if you go under the generic ob2 section you can find misfire counters for each cylinder.

Since you have already replaced the coils and plugs, oxygen sensors, high pressure fuel pumps, boost pressure leaks, bad CCV lines, bad pressure convertors, etc are all suspect. Without the scanner you are flying blind so it's worth the investment to get one, it will save you in the long run, plus it makes dealers nervous when you read your own codes and know what is going on. Less likely to try to take advantage of someone who is well informed.
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you

Thank you!
I tried that too. Even though I just changed the spark plugs and coils for some reason it showed misfire, but I believe there's no any misfire in the cylinders.
(One time it showed misfire in6,7 after I fixed those it went to3,8 and it kept going like that)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #5
Mikayel123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab's View Post
I just had a similar thing. I dropped the car to my garage, and he just called me to tell me I needed to change some sparks and a coil.
For me the symptoms where when fully accelerating (like on the highway, full throttle), the car goes but has some "hicups". 10 days ago I had the car going in drive train failure on the highway. I could drive slowly but the car was shaking when I was stopped.
Then I switched the car off, then on and no more drive train issue.
I'll update after he changes the sparks and coil.
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you

Thanks! This looks same as my issue just in my case replacing spark plugs coils and fuel injectors didn't helped
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #6
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! This looks same as my issue just in my case replacing spark plugs coils and fuel injectors didn't helped
Any update on your end?
I feel like my engine is running more smoothly, but I still have the same issue of "hiccups". The issue is aggravated with extra weight added to the car. I'll go talk to my shop about it, hopefully they'll be able to find the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
kevoncox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Thank you

Hey I hope I can help you out.
I had the exact same issue. Turns out my issue was related to a damaged 8th cylinder. BMW had to replace the entire engine. Take it to you dealer and have them do a scope of all the cylinders to see if they are damaged. It could be covered for you too.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #8
Mikayel123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab's View Post
Quote:
Any update on your end?
I feel like my engine is running more smoothly, but I still have the same issue of "hiccups". The issue is aggravated with extra weight added to the car. I'll go talk to my shop about it, hopefully they'll be able to find the issue.
Heey, yes the issue with my car was the transfercase, it's in the Service right now. I'll pick it up Monday or Tuesday.
The BMW fixe sing the transfercase and the cost is 9000$ with the programming
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
Mikayel123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
Quote:
Thank you

Hey I hope I can help you out.
I had the exact same issue. Turns out my issue was related to a damaged 8th cylinder. BMW had to replace the entire engine. Take it to you dealer and have them do a scope of all the cylinders to see if they are damaged. It could be covered for you too.
Hey, thank you for responding.
My problem was the transfercase.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:26 PM   #10
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok, I just figured out my problem...

Well... My front left wheel was out of balance

Surprisingly it didn't do the classic vibration a a certain speed that is a classic symptom.
I think the electronic of the drive train was taking over and trying to adjust every time, which created this odd hiccup.

I realized after swapping to my winter wheels, and not having the issue anymore. Then a swap back created it again. After alignment, the issue is gone.

Kind of crazy to have such a tiny thing like this causing this issue, but I am so glad my car is running super smooth
Appreciate 0