BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Cargo area mat?

I always had a Maxpider 3D in my old explorer and it saved me several times in the 4 years that I had it. I also like it has 3 "accordion" sections that allow you to fold it up on the fly, which is useful when it covers a 3rd row seat and you need it all of a sudden while away from home. You just fold it up and it fits behind the 3rd row seat. Also not super heavy with that rubber look a lot of them have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGGT7IQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I should be taking possession of my first 15 X5 next tuesday (if all looks good) and I'm looking for cargo area covers. This one has no 3rd row seat, so I don;t have to worry about that. My dog rides back there, but so do wet/muddy boot, potting soil, mulch, etc.

Probably go back with the Maxpider again unless someone has one that looks better? I don't want a super heavy duty one like a weathertech - they are awesome - just more than I need back there. Must be waterproof and "catch" fluids too.

Any suggestions I should consider? This X5 already has the OEM weather proof floor mats and I was pretty disappointed in them. They seemed pretty cheap, flimsy, and fit fairly poorly with lots of gaps. I also had the Maxpider front mats in my Ex and they fit like a glove - nice and tight with full coverage. I wondered if the rear OEM mat would be like the front ones.

Thanks for any suggestions.......
      12-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
xavier-xx7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I always had a Maxpider 3D in my old explorer and it saved me several times in the 4 years that I had it. I also like it has 3 "accordion" sections that allow you to fold it up on the fly, which is useful when it covers a 3rd row seat and you need it all of a sudden while away from home. You just fold it up and it fits behind the 3rd row seat. Also not super heavy with that rubber look a lot of them have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGGT7IQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I should be taking possession of my first 15 X5 next tuesday (if all looks good) and I'm looking for cargo area covers. This one has no 3rd row seat, so I don;t have to worry about that. My dog rides back there, but so do wet/muddy boot, potting soil, mulch, etc.

Probably go back with the Maxpider again unless someone has one that looks better? I don't want a super heavy duty one like a weathertech - they are awesome - just more than I need back there. Must be waterproof and "catch" fluids too.

Any suggestions I should consider? This X5 already has the OEM weather proof floor mats and I was pretty disappointed in them. They seemed pretty cheap, flimsy, and fit fairly poorly with lots of gaps. I also had the Maxpider front mats in my Ex and they fit like a glove - nice and tight with full coverage. I wondered if the rear OEM mat would be like the front ones.

Thanks for any suggestions.......
I have the maxpider mat and love it. I ended up getting the first and 2nd row mats this winter because of how much I liked the cargo mat.

I find the fit is good however if you plan on cutting out the sections to use the cargo hooks they don't fit perfectly if you have the 3rd row option. But if you have the cargo hooks that have the channel rail they work better. Doesn't matter for me thou because I was going for the most amount of protection from spills.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 x35i

I have used Canvasback cargo liners in my past few cars. https://www.canvasback.com. They affix with Velcro strips in the X5, as the Velcro doesn’t stick directly to the carpet like it did in my old Audi A4 Avant. The liners are really nice and keep the cargo area pristine. My dogs ride in the back seat in an Orvis seat hammock, but I’d have no problem putting them in the back, maybe with a thin dog bed on top of the liner.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List

Thanks for any suggestions.......[/QUOTE]
I have the maxpider mat and love it. I ended up getting the first and 2nd row mats this winter because of how much I liked the cargo mat.

I find the fit is good however if you plan on cutting out the sections to use the cargo hooks they don't fit perfectly if you have the 3rd row option. But if you have the cargo hooks that have the channel rail they work better. Doesn't matter for me thou because I was going for the most amount of protection from spills.[/QUOTE]

The one I'm looking at does not have the 3rd row and I would not cut out for the slides either. Doubt I ever use those and will probably take them out and leave the mat in full time.

I had the full set in my explorer too and they worked great. I had the rubberish ones (kagu or whatever) but might try the carpeted ones this time. They are still dished and water proof but would not have that solid feel and sound to them maybe. Got them on my xmas list already anyway after I saw how crappy the oem ones were. Not impressed at all.
      12-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg21 View Post
I have used Canvasback cargo liners in my past few cars. https://www.canvasback.com. They affix with Velcro strips in the X5, as the Velcro doesn't stick directly to the carpet like it did in my old Audi A4 Avant. The liners are really nice and keep the cargo area pristine. My dogs ride in the back seat in an Orvis seat hammock, but I'd have no problem putting them in the back, maybe with a thin dog bed on top of the liner.

Very interesting. I like the way they cover the backs too. My dog likes to ride back there too and the mat makes clean up a breeze. I toss a dog bed in there and he curls right up. one of the reasons I wanted a mat in there to begin with. I'll check them out. Thanks.