TheGermanTroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 eDrive40e

Garage List
2016 Xdrive40e  [10.00]
Thumbs up xDrive40e - 800 Mile Update

Just turned my xDrive40e over the 800 mile barrier and thought I would give my thoughts on the drive and performance.

First and foremost, the drive is amazing. So damn quiet and smooth. Two great reasons to appreciate BMW and their dedication to quality.

The hybrid engine makes things interesting. Yes, there is the 20 mile range which I am able to 50 or 52 miles on average with strategic driving. Knowing when to coast and how to manage the battery is crucial for long trips or anything passed the daily short commute.

In town, the hybrid motor cannot be beat. Fill-ups are a rarity and a blessing. But again. knowing how to manage the battery is the name of the game.

The hybrid motor does have some concerns though. From start to stop on a hill or flat surface there is hesitation and you can feel the engine 'catch' to move the vehicle. While this is slight, it is noticeable. Charging takes 7 hrs on average when battery is 85% depleted with the provided Level One charger. Of course, I can buy the BMW i-Charging Station but for $1k, it is not practical.

Overall performance of the Twin Turbo 4 is beautiful. People talk about the weight of the vehicle but I do not notice it one bit. The ride is fast, stable and agile. Sport mode is hard to resist on a wide open road. To date, I hit a top speed of 124 mph on a closed track.

Like many other X5 owners my left exhaust has the black soot issue. A daily cleaning is needed to keep it looking smooth.

That about sums up my 800 mile review. Would I buy the 40e if I had to do it all over again? In a heartbeat.

TR
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Thanks for posting your review. Glad to hear you are happy with it. Any day now we should be receiving our 40e as well. That twin turbo 4 is a marvel no doubt. It has the power to move this tank with ease.
Appreciate 4
      06-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
MorganW
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40e

I've had my Sparkling Brown 40e a week now and absolutely loving it. I am still getting used to the inconsistencies of the various charging stations in London but am getting a solid 10 miles on the battery each day. For clarity, my commute is 5 miles each way but in the morning is usually in very heavy congestion taking 30-45 minutes and in the evening it has to climb one of London's highest hills from sea level. When there isn't so much congestion (weekend) I've had no trouble getting above 13 miles to the battery.

I wish the car would start in EcoPro and eDrive max by default. It's a bit annoying that I have to change these settings each time I drive.

I'm still getting used to ConnectedDrive - would be great if I could select the iPhone App (e.g. Spotify or TuneIn) I want to listen to from the car rather than opening it on my iPhone first. Not sure if I'm doing it right or if thats just the way it works.

This is my first BMW so I'm still learning all the systems and looking forward to really understanding and taking advantage of all the features it has.

P.S. for the record the standard speakers that BMW supply are s$%t! As this was a company car ordered by the missus, she wouldn't let me add on the Advanced or HK upgrade on the basis "we wont be able to tell the difference" (our prior car was an Audi A7 and it had a brilliant stock sound system). The stock BMW speakers have been a massive disappointment and on a ~£60K BMW should be embarrassed that they are not supplying better components as standard!
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My father should take delivery of his M Sport 40e in the next few weeks. Looking forward to his review also.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
...I'm still getting used to ConnectedDrive - would be great if I could select the iPhone App (e.g. Spotify or TuneIn) I want to listen to from the car rather than opening it on my iPhone first. Not sure if I'm doing it right or if thats just the way it works....

You shouldn't have to open Spotify or TuneIn (or Amazon music, or Pandora, or or or) on the phone

You do have to open BMW connect on the phone, but then the list of all your installed iPhone apps
are there in a list, and you open any one of them from inside ConnectedDrive

good luck!

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Xpress5
Rep
Drives: Ridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGermanTroll View Post
Just turned my xDrive40e over the 800 mile barrier and thought I would give my thoughts on the drive and performance.

First and foremost, the drive is amazing. So damn quiet and smooth. Two great reasons to appreciate BMW and their dedication to quality.

The hybrid engine makes things interesting. Yes, there is the 20 mile range which I am able to 50 or 52 miles on average with strategic driving. Knowing when to coast and how to manage the battery is crucial for long trips or anything passed the daily short commute.

In town, the hybrid motor cannot be beat. Fill-ups are a rarity and a blessing. But again. knowing how to manage the battery is the name of the game.

The hybrid motor does have some concerns though. From start to stop on a hill or flat surface there is hesitation and you can feel the engine 'catch' to move the vehicle. While this is slight, it is noticeable. Charging takes 7 hrs on average when battery is 85% depleted with the provided Level One charger. Of course, I can buy the BMW i-Charging Station but for $1k, it is not practical.

Overall performance of the Twin Turbo 4 is beautiful. People talk about the weight of the vehicle but I do not notice it one bit. The ride is fast, stable and agile. Sport mode is hard to resist on a wide open road. To date, I hit a top speed of 124 mph on a closed track.

Like many other X5 owners my left exhaust has the black soot issue. A daily cleaning is needed to keep it looking smooth.

That about sums up my 800 mile review. Would I buy the 40e if I had to do it all over again? In a heartbeat.

TR
Thanks very much for your report.

Can you clarify the "...I am able to 50 or 52 miles on average with strategic driving." part of your report?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
TheGermanTroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Xdrive40e  [10.00]
The hybrid battery is a tricky little beast. Luckily I am in the Pacific Northwest and I utilize the hills and coast as much as possible to charge the battery during drives. I also watch my speed on the highway to keep away from the 75mph barrier as that drains the battery quickly and switches over to the gas engine. The other trick is to stay away from Max eDrive Mode and stay in Auto eDrive to better regulate performance and mileage. The battery regenerates its power but needs a little assistance from the driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Xpress5
Rep
Drives: Ridgeline

Still not sure what the 50-52 miles means???

I have a Volt and am familiar with regen and boosting the range and saving range etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:43 AM   #9
MorganW
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post
You shouldn't have to open Spotify or TuneIn (or Amazon music, or Pandora, or or or) on the phone

You do have to open BMW connect on the phone, but then the list of all your installed iPhone apps
are there in a list, and you open any one of them from inside ConnectedDrive

good luck!

Brilliant - I thought I may have been missing something! Thank you for this.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress5 View Post
Still not sure what the 50-52 miles means???

I have a Volt and am familiar with regen and boosting the range and saving range etc.
I'm really new to this technology as well. Maybe he meant 50-52 miles is the mileage on combined hybrid power in AUTO mode, and afterwards once the bettery is depleted the car would revert to gas only?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
TheGermanTroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Xdrive40e  [10.00]
The 50-52 range is Auto mode but driving with the purpose of conservation of the battery.
Appreciate 0