Fully autonomous by 2021, teaming up with Intel

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...am-Bring-Fully
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

In light of the news firestorm triggered by the story of a fatality in a Tesla with a distracted, speeding "driver" watching a movie, one wonders how the discussion will be nuanced going forward.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Not sure. Tesla appears to be the chosen one when it comes to regulations for autonomy, along with Google. It amazes me that we can't get active headlights or laser lights on our cars in the US, but we can have given the OK to autonomous vehicles or nearly so. I'm all for the new autonomous tech but you will never get rid of the human factor unless everyone around has and is utilizing the same tech. It also sounds like the radar system only sees from the hood down, which is why it didn't see the trailer part of the truck.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Do not get me wrong, I love my tech; however, fully automated kind of takes the driving out of ultimate driving machine.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

^^ This. To me, its on par with hiring an Uber or car service.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Do not get me wrong, I love my tech; however, fully automated kind of takes the driving out of ultimate driving machine.
Well said. Company slogan will have to change: The Ultimate Self-Driving Machine.
      07-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

I really don't know where this all came from - probably with the current tech bubble, people are now all talking about how robots will take all our jobs next year and that self-driving vehicles will be everywhere any time now.

But the reality is that pretty much nothing happend in the field of AI. People have been talking about how smart robots will get since I was a kid, but the only thing that changed since is that our cell phones got better. And that thing has now peaked too.

AI in video games, for instance, is equally useless as ever. Just as with the cars, they can program the AI to react in a certain way to a certain situation, making it efficent in chess or so, but the improvising is not there and we don't even seem to be Close to it. When I Watch videos of the Teslas etc going autonomously, they seem to only be able to handle the easiest of traffic situations, so I wouldnt say the hardest parts of development are behind us.

Making computers handling unplanned, semi-jammed city traffic as efficently as humans is probably decades away. I probably wont live to see a self-driving car handling chaotic Paris or London traffic as fast as needed to dont jam the city up completely.

The problem is that questioning the tech industry is more sensetive these Days than questioning the Holocaust. Uber is allowed to break laws worldwide because it's cool and any skeptic approach to any technology makes you "Tech hostile" among friends and even in media, if you happen to be somewhat celebral.

I on the other hand believe there is such a thing as Peak Technology and that it peaked a while ago. Some people see rapid development in cars but I see just slow ones. My 2012 Kia Optima consumes more than my 2000 Ford Focus Wagon with equal performance. My 2016 BMW X5 has nothing in that my 2011 Saab 9-5 didn't have, except for quality issues unseen in any of the above.

TVs and computers havent developed either in ages. Some industries are scrapping their robots and taking back humans on the production lines, on account of flexibility, such as Mercedes. Batteries are slightly improved but their limitations remain, year after year.

Development in travel also stalled a long time ago. The Concordes are also scrapped and while planes are slightly safer and more efficent than before, traveling from Europe to the USA is about as convenient, or inconvenient as in 1965. Then there's boats. Anyone seeing a difference in a 1998 Bowrider compared to a 2016 one, except for Bluetooth connectivity?

If we move on from what we can see, to what we can not see, development is stalled aswell. We still can not cure viral diseases. Cancer treatment isn't really progressing - we are only coming up with new expensive ways to prolong the agony for a few months or maybe years. Despite huge efforts in the field of antimicrobials, they more or less all failed and all first-line agents, intraveneous or oral, are still drugs from the 80s. Instead of further proceeding, we are actually losing this battle as the bacteria develops new technology faster than we do.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
letsddp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Agree with most here. Why would I need a BMW if it's auto drive
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsddp View Post
Agree with most here. Why would I need a BMW if it's auto drive
For the looks of course.

But I'll eat my hat if any BMW is fully autonomous by 2021. And I want them to mean fully when they say so. I want the car to be able to drive from one corner in Paris to the other as efficently as a human, and not only drive from one gas station in Montana to another.

They make these goals and talk about improving Artificial Intelligence as if it exists, but it doesn't. They could aswell have released a statement saying

"By further developing current Technologies in mechanics and rocket science, a joint-venture consisting of BMW, NASA and Apple aim to launch space-driving cars to the market in late 2019. While this presents a series of challanges, the usage of dynamic end-to-end solutions will be paradigm changing and solve it all. Elon Musk acknowledged that cars will be able to reach the speed of light withing years rather than decades as skeptics claim."
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
You may as well hop a Grey Hound bus.
Appreciate 0