BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
IlliniX5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Alarm went off...WTH?

Sitting in a drive thru today with vehicle (‘15 X 35i xDrive) in neutral, running, (after a 20 minute highway drive) and the alarm went off. At first I thought it was the restaurant’s alarm, but saw the light on the rear view mirror flashing. Had no idea what triggered the alarm, nor how to shut it off. I finally shut the engine off and the alarm quit. Never had this happen before, but I will say the alarm is loud. Any idea what might have caused this?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniX5 View Post
Sitting in a drive thru today with vehicle (‘15 X 35i xDrive) in neutral, running, (after a 20 minute highway drive) and the alarm went off. At first I thought it was the restaurant’s alarm, but saw the light on the rear view mirror flashing. Had no idea what triggered the alarm, nor how to shut it off. I finally shut the engine off and the alarm quit. Never had this happen before, but I will say the alarm is loud. Any idea what might have caused this?
My 2016 x6 alarm also went off last saturday, thankfully it was garaged and during daytime. I suspected the battery but voltage was 12v+
Checked codes with ista and didn't make sense of anything: antitheft alarm was indeed logfed but few years ago per the timestamp. Other events also which happened sooner like hud not working were also repored on the wrong date. Weeeeiiiird......
Alarm didn't go off since.
However, I do suspect it went off due to battery issue as I didnt have the battery tender connected for about a week.wifes x5 was also not tendered for the same amount of time but her battery was replaced last year. Mine was 3 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:43 AM   #3
IlliniX5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
My 2016 x6 alarm also went off last saturday, thankfully it was garaged and during daytime. I suspected the battery but voltage was 12v+
Checked codes with ista and didn't make sense of anything: antitheft alarm was indeed logfed but few years ago per the timestamp. Other events also which happened sooner like hud not working were also repored on the wrong date. Weeeeiiiird......
Alarm didn't go off since.
However, I do suspect it went off due to battery issue as I didnt have the battery tender connected for about a week.wifes x5 was also not tendered for the same amount of time but her battery was replaced last year. Mine was 3 years ago.
I do know my batteries are original, but I have a CTek connected every night as it isn’t driven every day, and this event happened after a 20 minute drive. We had only been sitting for maybe a minute. The only other anomaly is an erratic idle after a cold start which, after a Google search, seems to not be all that uncommon with X’s. Gotta love the weirdness that is BMW...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

This happens to me from time to time but it's my fault. The key is inside my pocket and with the other keys I have in there it presses against the Alarm Button which will set it off
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Was the light flashing rapidly or the slow continuous flash?

Could you have accidentally activated the alarm system during the time you were sitting in the drive by pressing the alarm siren button on the remote? Was it in your pocket?
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

Could you have accidentally activated the alarm system during the time you were sitting in the drive by pressing the alarm siren button on the remote? Was it in your pocket?
In my case it was flashing rapidly, but the keyfob was in my jacket hanging from a hook, so...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
IlliniX5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I’ll bet this is it. I wear my fob clipped to a belt loop on my right side. I had just taken my large cup of water from the center console drink holder and wedged it in between the center console and my hip to make room for the incoming cups from my order. I’ll bet anything I moved enough that the panic button was pressed in the process. Thanks Qsilver7!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I'm wondering why you switch to neutral?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I'm wondering why you switch to neutral?
Good question...the first thought that comes to mind is...is this another way to prevent the ASS (auto start/stop) from kicking in? The OP wrote that they were in a drive thru...and not wanting the engine to cut off would be a reason to move the gear shift lever into N.

Although, prior to coding this feature off on my BMWs...my quick fix for turning off ASS (especially when pulling into the garage or up to my mailbox) was to just press the gear shift lever over into the M/S gate. When in the SPORT or MANUAL shift mode...ASS is automatically turned off (if anyone didn't know or realize this already).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
IlliniX5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good question...the first thought that comes to mind is...is this another way to prevent the ASS (auto start/stop) from kicking in? The OP wrote that they were in a drive thru...and not wanting the engine to cut off would be a reason to move the gear shift lever into N.

Although, prior to coding this feature off on my BMWs...my quick fix for turning off ASS (especially when pulling into the garage or up to my mailbox) was to just press the gear shift lever over into the M/S gate. When in the SPORT or MANUAL shift mode...ASS is automatically turned off (if anyone didn't know or realize this already).

Putting the vehicle in neutral/park is something I usually do when the wait is long, and the weather is hot. I have ASS coded off, so that’s not a problem. Just a habit.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Putting the vehicle in neutral/park is something I usually do when the wait is long, and the weather is hot. I have ASS coded off, so that’s not a problem. Just a habit.
It's pointless. You could have a trans in gear stopped forever and no wear occurs. You cause more wear going in and out of gear.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:00 AM   #12
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
Sitting in a drive thru today with vehicle ('15 X 35i xDrive) in neutral, running, (after a 20 minute highway drive) and the alarm went off. At first I thought it was the restaurant's alarm, but saw the light on the rear view mirror flashing. Had no idea what triggered the alarm, nor how to shut it off. I finally shut the engine off and the alarm quit. Never had this happen before, but I will say the alarm is loud. Any idea what might have caused this?
My 2014 has been doing this from time to time. It would also give me random warnings the hood was open/engine hot, while driving. It wasn't open and engine wasn't hot. Like I just only drove 5 minutes...I knew it had to be erroneous readings..... After doing some research, I put two and two together, and found out a faulty hood switch will cause this. It wasn't my fault or the boogie man's after all. I just open the hood and slam it down, then it's good for a couple of months. I'm bringing it in to the dealer have them replace it while it still has a warranty. If you wanted to, you could probably replace it yourself. There's YouTube videos on it. I'd do it myself if it didn't have the warranty.
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Hood switch on many 2000's BMWs (incl my E46) is a common problem 10+ years old. Frequent, random false alarms, depending on whether the worn switch contacts hit the right spot or not the last time you closed it. It's just a plunger switch mounted at the top/back of the engine bay, and the hood pushes it down. $60 OE for it, super easy to replace, and plenty of chinese versions for cheap (Alibaba $13 one has worked flawlessly on mine for >1 year now).

I tried to see if there is an equivalent F15/F16 switch, but didn't fine it quickly on FCP or RealOEM. I'm sure it's there somewhere, and I haven't looked in my own engine bay yet to see if they used a similarly simple switch design there.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
Hood switch on many 2000's BMWs (incl my E46) is a common problem 10+ years old. Frequent, random false alarms, depending on whether the worn switch contacts hit the right spot or not the last time you closed it. It's just a plunger switch mounted at the top/back of the engine bay, and the hood pushes it down. $60 OE for it, super easy to replace, and plenty of chinese versions for cheap (Alibaba $13 one has worked flawlessly on mine for >1 year now).

I tried to see if there is an equivalent F15/F16 switch, but didn't fine it quickly on FCP or RealOEM. I'm sure it's there somewhere, and I haven't looked in my own engine bay yet to see if they used a similarly simple switch design there.
On the f15/f16...the hood switch is incorporated into the engine compartment lid contact switch. The same switch that warns if the hood is open...also sends data to the anti-theft alarm siren system if the hood is closed or open.

See highlighted info below for this switch's location in the f15/f16 (and other F chassis models, too):
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep

That's likely what it is in my case, I've kept the hood open for months at a time while trickle charging, so maybe the sensor is going bad. On my wife's x5 it also sometimes complains that the hood is open even after I shut it hard, but at least alarm doesn't go off (yet).
Appreciate 0