Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANITALY View Post
I have Bimmercode for Android, we're in the app I can open the valve,can someone show me with pictures? thank you in advance.
Can't do it with BimmerCode.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #46
GIANITALY
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M/MPPK

Garage List
  [0.00]
Thanks. Then i have to download the bimmerlink app i guess.
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      12-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #47
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I was going to get it too, but I didn't feel like spending almost 50 dollars Canadian on it lol
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #48
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Yeah, I was going to get it too, but I didn't feel like spending almost 50 dollars Canadian on it lol
Quote:
You can use an app called OBD.Maven (Android), which is what I use - it's free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obdmaven&hl=en

I mentioned this in post #4 in this thread

Last edited by ems328i; 12-21-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      12-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #49
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Quote:
Same here, little bit to expensive but luckily for all the coding I've done I never had to clear any codes, I never had any
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      01-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #50
OSURob
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for all of the info on this exhaust mod. I've been perplexed as to why I have a F16 with dual exhaust tips and exhaust only comes out of one side. Other posts have had much more invasive procedures in order to get the flap to stay open. The posts on this thread were perfect and keeps the car as stock as possible. Tomorrow I will be downloading the Bimmerlink app and pair it with my VeePeak ODB module and remove the fuse. (Provided I can find it) Can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #51
Khedr
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i M Sport

My safe way of opening my flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTech View Post
I use a similar app by Carly and their Android adapter. The app has a dedicated Exhaust Flap open/close function, so once I'm logged in on my phone via Bluetooth I can open the valve. The exhaust can easily be felt coming from both exhaust tips. With the engine running and the exhaust valve open, I remove the 15 amp fuse in slot 146 from the rear fuse panel (2017 x35i; the empty slot is shown with the red arrow in the photo) and put the fuse in one of the storage slots for future use (shown with the blue arrow). The fuse function can be seen here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...use/1VnXNeADTR. The exhaust will now stay open all the time without having to use the app, and there is no need to crawl underneath the vehicle. Yes, a related code will be logged in the system, but it doesn't affect anything and is easily cleared using the app if desired. The exhaust sound is definitely throatier and a bit louder, although not nearly the sound that a performance exhaust system would produce of course -- but then again, it is easier to change back to stock for a quieter ride when needed, like a road trip with the spouse. For that, it just takes a few seconds to stick the fuse back into slot 146 and the deed is done.

I realized a few things in this process. I always thought there was a flap on the right (passenger) and left (driver) side. When I went underneath the car, there was only a flap on the right (passenger) side. I'm guessing there might be a flap in the muffler

I n any case, I wanted a simple yet effect way of getting the exhausts open w/o voiding my warranty. Although my dealership knows that I tuned my f15 to about 400hp (I used RaceChip), as long as I take it off they're fine with it. But when it comes to the exhaust it's not a simple plug and play. In any case, I wanted any restriction gone. I know on start up the driver side exhaust is usually loud then it mutes after about 45 seconds or so depending on how cold it is. When its -40C both exhausts open but it wasn't the case today.

Before turning on the car, I located the 146 fuse (you can find a picture of it of the quote I have on top) and got the right tool (could be literally any tool as long as it can pull the fuse) I tested it to make sure it works. Next I tackled the passenger exhaust where the flap actuator is. I wanted an OEM fix, aka less work I have to do on the car, the better.

I found the C ring that everyone was talking about; I uploaded a picture I found online but its exactly the same found in my car. I thought I could've have moved the C ring upwards to open the exhaust whilst everything is connected and then pull the fuse but 1. it's really not budging and I didn't want to break anything 2. If I pulled the fuse the driver side flap would remain closed so essentially useless. I pulled the C ring in literally less than 10 seconds with same tool as I used to pull the fuse. TBH I was dying but it happened, I turned the "knob" closest to the exhaust (or the right side of the picture uploaded) upwards and that opened the flap. I kept turning it until I couldn't anymore that means I won't accidentally close the flap if I kept turning it. But beware, due to the cold, the knob could be stuck, so give it some tug but don't overdo it, use WD-40 if you have to.

I turned on my car, immediately pulled the fuse and both exhausts were open. Now to tackle the question of how to keep the flap open, as I said I wanted to simplest fix, so no wires or anything. Because its metal, I used glue/superglue, although scary, it's just metal and you break the glue pretty easily. So now when I send my car for service, they won't see anything out of the ordinary other than the C ring being out of the car. I don't think they'll bother looking for it everytime. No check engine light thus far.
Attached Images

Last edited by Khedr; 01-29-2020 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: upload extra picture
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #52
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khedr View Post

I realized a few things in this process. I always thought there was a flap on the right (passenger) and left (driver) side. When I went underneath the car, there was only a flap on the right (passenger) side. I'm guessing there might be a flap in the muffler

I found the C ring that everyone was talking about; I uploaded a picture I found online but its exactly the same found in my car. I thought I could've have moved the C ring upwards to open the exhaust whilst everything is connected and then pull the fuse but 1. it's really not budging and I didn't want to break anything 2. If I pulled the fuse the driver side flap would remain closed so essentially useless. I pulled the C ring in literally less than 10 seconds with same tool as I used to pull the fuse. TBH I was dying but it happened, I turned the "knob" closest to the exhaust (or the right side of the picture uploaded) upwards and that opened the flap. I kept turning it until I couldn't anymore that means I won't accidentally close the flap if I kept turning it. But beware, due to the cold, the knob could be stuck, so give it some tug but don't overdo it, use WD-40 if you have to.

I turned on my car, immediately pulled the fuse and both exhausts were open. Now to tackle the question of how to keep the flap open, as I said I wanted to simplest fix, so no wires or anything. Because its metal, I used glue/superglue, although scary, it's just metal and you break the glue pretty easily. So now when I send my car for service, they won't see anything out of the ordinary other than the C ring being out of the car. I don't think they'll bother looking for it everytime. No check engine light thus far.
Seems overly complicated to me; using a free app to open the exhaust and then pulling the fuse - job done, flap stays permanently open until the fuse is put back - which I will do when it goes for a service, but this is 2 secs work....
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #53
Khedr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
Quote:

Seems overly complicated to me; using a free app to open the exhaust and then pulling the fuse - job done, flap stays permanently open until the fuse is put back - which I will do when it goes for a service, but this is 2 secs work....
Yes you do have a point but 1. I don't have an OBD device and 2. I don't have an Android device nor would I buy an app for an exhaust.

Pretty much if you want the "free" way of doing it then my way would work best. But thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #54
Khedr
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
Quote:

Yes you do have a point but 1. I don't have an OBD device and 2. I don't have an Android device nor would I buy an app for an exhaust.

Pretty much if you want the "free" way of doing it then my way would work best. But thanks for the feedback!
But now I have a problem. I pulled fuse 146 AND 147 and the driver side's flap (which I probably located in the muffler) still shut off after a cold cold. Any idea what I could do?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #55
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

there is no flap in the drivers side. there is only 1 flap on the 35i and it is located on the passenger side.
      01-31-2020, 12:27 AM   #56
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
there is no flap in the drivers side. there is only 1 flap on the 35i and it is located on the passenger side.
This. Pulling the second fuse is what is likely giving you the error....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:46 AM   #57
jrthe1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 E60 911C4 SL560 66C10step

You only have to pull fuse #146.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #58
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

Does the flap stay open if you start the car and within seconds have someone else pull the fuse immediately?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #59
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Delete

Last edited by ems328i; 01-31-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #60
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithwand View Post
Does the flap stay open if you start the car and within seconds have someone else pull the fuse immediately?
The throatier exhaust noise you hear on a cold engine start is not due to the valve being open, it is because the engine runs richer for a short time in order to warm up the cats.
If you have 'forced' open the valve using an app and OBD dongle then it will stay open as long as you want it to (until you shut off the engine) so you have plenty of time to pull the fuse.
If you don't use an app, then the valve will only open at high rpm so you then need to manually force it open as described earlier in this thread....but make sure the exhaust is cold first!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #61
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

Could you start the car and quickly put something in the tailpipe that Would prevent the flap from closing and then pull the fuse? Would it then stay open after you pull out what kept the valve propped open?
Asking for a friend Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #62
Jroptop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, 2007 335i 2011 X5

Let’s revive this thread based on F85 models. X5 M have a left and right actuator motor, and with the Carly app, only the paasenger side actuator opens. I verified the drivers side actuator motor does work when I switched it to the oassenger side?
Does anyone have any idea why this is? Is the left side actuator only operable at wide-open throttle?
Appreciate 0