06-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
kstinmb
It's always something.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive40e & 2014 i3

2014 xDrive40e - Regen question

Hello,

Considering a 2014 xDrive40e to replace my 2003 540iT.
I already have a Level 2 charger installed at home.
If I drive it say, Myrtle Beach to Charleston, 15 miles stop'n'go, then 60 miles at 65, then 15 miles stop'n'go, will the battery be fully recharged in Charleston?
Do I need to take postive steps for that to happen?

Does the battery recharge at hiway speeds? Or only when coasting or braking?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:00 AM   #2
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

While driving the batttery (if set to battery save mode) will charge to max. 40 -50%, depending on distance driving, usage of a/c....

Once the gas engine is on or you brake, the battery recharges. (all modes)
If set (onboard computer / check control messages - top button on turn signal lever), you can see on the display how much electrical power is been used/ regenerated while you drive <> brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinmb View Post
Hello,

Considering a 2014 xDrive40e to replace my 2003 540iT.
I already have a Level 2 charger installed at home.
If I drive it say, Myrtle Beach to Charleston, 15 miles stop'n'go, then 60 miles at 65, then 15 miles stop'n'go, will the battery be fully recharged in Charleston?
Do I need to take postive steps for that to happen?

Does the battery recharge at hiway speeds? Or only when coasting or braking?

Thanks,
Using regen only, your battery wont be 100% when you arrive in Charleston based on the trip you describe.

Regen is good, but really you need to be doing a lot of breaking or taking advantage hills etc to really make it charge up. Without hills in the area, I doubt you'll have all that much regen on your trip. Using the eco pro route in navigation, it will send you on the route which is optimized for maximum battery saving or regeneration based on traffic and other factors like slope etc. So using that route with eco pro (drive mode) engaged would probably get you the most regen you could hope for, without using the onboard charger.

Now with that said - are you just concerned about the battery being full when you reach Charleston? Or are you worried about how the battery is charged? As chumbedi said, you can put the car in save battery mode where you it will actively maintain the charge (if you engage it at 100%) or charge it up to 50%. This is without any regen, regen would add on top of whatever the onboard charger is doing.

Typically when I drive longer distances and I know the spot I'm going isn't going to have a charger I just throw the car in save battery when I leave. That way when I get there I always have the battery full and can use the precondition features without any issues. Plus then on the way back I can use eco pro and let the car use the battery as it needs, since I can charge it when I get home.

gwes
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
kstinmb
It's always something.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
...are you just concerned about the battery being full when you reach Charleston? Or are you worried about how the battery is charged?
gwes
Both, actually. It would be nice to only use the battery once we get downtown (destination), but it looks like a stop and charge would be needed.

I assume the battery is only recharged by the electric motor used as generator, so it makes sense that it would not be charged during continuous highway driving.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
mgbabe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive Gran Turismo

Garage List
It depends what driving mode you are in. If in Sport, at highway speeds (or any other speeds) it will regenerate. You will notice that when lifting off accelerator the regen braking is most noticeable. In Comfort, there is a little regen and as far as I have noticed there none or virtually none in EcoPro. That is freewheeling more.

So if for instance you’re at the top of a long hill, put it in EcoPro to build up speed down the hill and as you get closer to the bottom, switch to Sport to regen brake back speed limit and get a couple percent battery juice back.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:28 AM   #6
kstinmb
It's always something.
United_States
Rep

Thanks, lots to learn. I'm picking it up this morning in Atlanta, it's actually a 2016, and driving back to Myrtle Beach.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinmb View Post
Both, actually. It would be nice to only use the battery once we get downtown (destination), but it looks like a stop and charge would be needed.

I assume the battery is only recharged by the electric motor used as generator, so it makes sense that it would not be charged during continuous highway driving.

Thanks,
The battery is also recharged when in save battery mode by the engine when it’s running. I wouldn’t stop to charge the car (it’d take over two hours to charge), I’d just throw it in save battery before you leave and then use the saved charge in Charleston when you’re there.
You can then either charge in Charleston if you can find a charger or put it in save battery for the ride back to give you a little extra boost when you need it.

gwes
Appreciate 0