BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #23
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

We have one on order and from my findings, the e40 with the extra batteries weight is equipped with the same extend reinforced suspension option, i.e. the towing setup option.
I am hopping with M sport and the dampers control options the behaviour you experienced can be cancelled out

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Beast_NYC View Post
I've had some good seat time on my loaner x5 40e. I thought the power deliver and the transisition from electric to gas was pretty smooth. My only real gripe about the car was the rear suspension I felt that rear was a bit more bouncy on uneven roads compare to my non msport 35i. I felt the shocks are under dampen. This bounce I felt is most likely due to the battery in the trunk. Does anybody else felt the same? Wonder if BMW improved the rear shocks by now.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:10 AM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

For those who installed a 240v charger at home, let me see your setups!

Also what NEMA plug did you end up installing?
      01-19-2017, 02:19 AM   #25
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
For those who installed a 240v charger at home, let me see your setups!

250v/50 amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #26
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 w/ 14-50 plug. It's great if you like programmable charge time, data, and apps via wi-fi.

NEMA 14-50 supposed to be the most commonly found residential 240V outlet e.g. ovens, dryers, RV parks

If you're going to have a dedicated circuit installed, I would recommend at least 240V 50A. Electrical code requires at least 25% over capacity for continuous loads so you could put up to 40A total charging load on that line in case you get a 2nd PHEV or one with a bigger charger in future. If you might get a Tesla, maybe go even more current. They can charge up to 72A!

Different EVSEs come with different plugs. Another common plug is NEMA 6-50. Install the outlet that will fit your EVSE or you can buy adapters for different plugs.

Keep your receipts, there may be state and federal tax credits for EV charging installation costs.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      01-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #27
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 w/ 14-50 plug. It's great if you like programmable charge time, data, and apps via wi-fi.

NEMA 14-50 supposed to be the most commonly found residential 240V outlet e.g. ovens, dryers, RV parks

If you're going to have a dedicated circuit installed, I would recommend at least 240V 50A. Electrical code requires at least 25% over capacity for continuous loads so you could put up to 40A total charging load on that line in case you get a 2nd PHEV or one with a bigger charger in future. If you might get a Tesla, maybe go even more current. They can charge up to 72A!

Different EVSEs come with different plugs. Another common plug is NEMA 6-50. Install the outlet that will fit your EVSE or you can buy adapters for different plugs.

Keep your receipts, there may be state and federal tax credits for EV charging installation costs.

Thanks. On the note of charging at "RV Parks", I understand that in 99% of the cases, when owners charge away from home, there are dedicated EV stations with the standard J1772 connector.

However, there are possibilities of certain locations like garages, hotels and RV parks with just a NEMA 14-50 outlet, but the owner needs to carry a 14-50 plug charger. Are you carrying such a charger?

Porsche for example, when you buy their PHEV, gives you a charger with a NEMA 14-50 plug (or other selectable NEMA interfaces). That charger serves 2 functions, it is your actual in-home EVSE charger, but it's also portable, so you can simply unplug and take it with you. Does BMW offer something similar, or do you use a 3rd party mobile charger?

Here's Porsche's charger that comes with the car:

You either take it everywhere you go or you can install it semi-permanently at home. This basically allows you to just use 1 charger for all occasions, if you can be bothered to unplug and take it with you when you leave:

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-19-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #28
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Thanks. On the note of charging at "RV Parks", I understand that in 99% of the cases, when owners charge away from home, there are dedicated EV stations with the standard J1772 connector.

However, there are possibilities of certain locations like garages, hotels and RV parks with just a NEMA 14-50 outlet, but the owner needs to carry a 14-50 plug charger. Are you carrying such a charger?
Is that a Panamera E-Hybrid?

Haven't take the car on a long trip yet. But you're right, easier to just look for a public level 2 charging station at hotels, garages and malls. I might take my level 1 with me if I stay at a friend's house overnight.

I don't know if I would ever take a level 2 EVSE on a trip. X5 40e can just run on gas, we're not like those Tesla owners who are driving around with a basketful of adapters looking for a recharge.

Don't know if BMW makes a portable EVSE. But there are other options: ClipperCreek LCS-20P 16A with a 14-50 plug and is the exact same size as the level 1 EVSE that comes with the car (a rebranded ClipperCreek model). AeroVironments makes TurboCord, a portable 120V/240V EVSE.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      01-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #29
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
Is that a Panamera E-Hybrid?

Haven't take the car on a long trip yet. But you're right, easier to just look for a public level 2 charging station at hotels, garages and malls. I might take my level 1 with me if I stay at a friend's house overnight.

I don't know if I would ever take a level 2 EVSE on a trip. X5 40e can just run on gas, we're not like those Tesla owners who are driving around with a basketful of adapters looking for a recharge.

Don't know if BMW makes a portable EVSE. But there are other options: ClipperCreek LCS-20P 16A with a 14-50 plug and is the exact same size as the level 1 EVSE that comes with the car (a rebranded ClipperCreek model). AeroVironments makes TurboCord, a portable 120V/240V EVSE.

thanks for the reply. Yes, that is a Panamera S E-Hybrid. I almost bought one...almost.