BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

What trim to go with Terra dakota?

For those of you that have Terra interior, what trim do you have? When I run through the UK configurator, none of the trims look really good with it. I think the rendered color of the leather is a little off though.

I don't like aluminum and of what's left, the one that looks the least bad is Fineline Pure.

So what have others gotten? Have any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
For those of you that have Terra interior, what trim do you have? When I run through the UK configurator, none of the trims look really good with it. I think the rendered color of the leather is a little off though.

I don't like aluminum and of what's left, the one that looks the least bad is Fineline Pure.

So what have others gotten? Have any pictures?
I have the terra leather in my 40d, the colour on the configurator is a bit off. All I had to go on was a 2 inch square of leather swatch at my dealer.

I looked at all the trims and had originally picked the poplar one from the brochure but when seeing them in person went with the brushed aluminium trim and am very happy with it. I had the satin aluminium exterior trim and running boards so it ties the inside and outside together nicely. I didn't like any of the wood trims.

I agree that there isn't much choice and I really didn't like the standard aluminium hex square trim on offer.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

I got terra dakota leather and fineline pure wood trim. They go together very well although obviously fineline wood goes best with moccha as these are both virtually identical. However, terra is a much nicer color than moccha in reality. It is very elegant color which looks much better in real life than in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

For me, sophisto grey, terra dakota & poplar woodgrain (4ac).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
ChicagoNorthShore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [0.00]
Smile

I have a 2014 X5 35i in Jet Black with Terra Dakota interior and poplar wood trim. I would DEFINITELY go with the poplar wood trim.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

It looks like the poplar is pretty dark in your photos. Is that your impression in real life? When they render it its pretty coffee with cream looking. It didn't look so good against their not so correct color terra:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Arrow

4AC Poplar Wood Trim. Mine is not really dark, its more like as you have just described: coffee & cream. Let me know if you like me to take some more pics.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...highlight=kr63
post 7, 9 close up.

Name:  8_9_______.jpg
Views: 6690
Size:  326.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
4AC Poplar Wood Trim. Mine is not really dark, its more like as you have just described: coffee & cream. Let me know if you like me to take some more pics.
Wow, it looks sparkly. That's cool. There's one pic in the other thread that shows them together in great lighting. I think I like it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Can't help on the trim as we have aluminum hex, which looks great, but you don't like aluminum.. But you are definitely correct about the color, most pics online don't even do it justice, let alone the configurator on BMW's site. It's just one of those colors that doesn't photograph well under different lighting conditions, etc. I would say try to find some to see in person before deciding which wood clashes or doesn't. Even the woods, I find, don't always show well in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
ChicagoNorthShore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [0.00]
Im not so keen on the "coffee and cream" description. It looks ver nice with the Terra in real life.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I know it's not THAT helpful, but this is what the Poplar Wood looks like on my car with Black Dakota Leather in sunlight, dark, and dark with flash.

Sunlight:

Dark:

Dark with Flash:

08-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

I went with Terra Dakota Leather and the Fineline Purewood Trim. I think it's the best combo with the Terra Dakota Leather IMO. See for yourself:

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

terra dakota + fineline pure wood
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Personally like the Fineline Pure Wood best, gives it a more modern look :-) If you prefer the more traditional look, go for the glossy wood.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the photos of the fineline pure. Originally I wasn't liking that option because I didn't think that I'd like the feel of it. However, the X6 doesn't have any wood on the console, so that isn't such an issue. I think it'll look great on the doors and dash.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

IMHO Wood is so old fashioned. I have a Mineral White M Sport and would not consider putting wood of any description in it except when going to the DIY store! I went for Terra and Hex Aluminium which together look very modern and SPORTY not like the inside of a 'Gentlemen's Club'.

If God had wanted us to put wood in our BMW's he's have put dangly brass door handles, architrave mouldings around the dashboard and door shuts on the options list! Wood's OK for sideboards, wardrobes, dining tables or in old sports cars.

If you decide to stay in the 21st Century there are problems with BMW Aluminium trim (of any kind) though - it's prone to damage in everyday use. Drop your keys on it, or generally touch it with anything hard / metallic like a wrist watch or bracelet and you will damage it!!! Such damage is not repairable and each piece of trim is very expensive to replace.
      08-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap View Post
IMHO Wood is so old fashioned. I have a Mineral White M Sport and would not consider putting wood of any description in it except when going to the DIY store! I went for Terra and Hex Aluminium which together look very modern and SPORTY not like the inside of a 'Gentlemen's Club'.

If God had wanted us to put wood in our BMW's he's have put dangly brass door handles, architrave mouldings around the dashboard and door shuts on the options list! Wood's OK for sideboards, wardrobes, dining tables or in old sports cars.

If you decide to stay in the 21st Century there are problems with BMW Aluminium trim (of any kind) though - it's prone to damage in everyday use. Drop your keys on it, or generally touch it with anything hard / metallic like a wrist watch or bracelet and you will damage it!!! Such damage is not repairable and each piece of trim is very expensive to replace.
Absolutely agree don't get the fake wood look at all, nothing sporty about wood. Everyone to their own I guess but the alu hex or piano black (I had this in my MY12 640d and it marks very easy) are the best options for the sporty look IMO
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

The prone-to-wear Alu was the reason I skipped it and went for the pure wood with mocha. I am not particularly fond of any of the standard trims though and don't like the polished woods at all. Piano black would've been good.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby
The prone-to-wear Alu was the reason I skipped it and went for the pure wood with mocha. I am not particularly fond of any of the standard trims though and don't like the polished woods at all. Piano black would've been good.
I have Alu now and am very happy. Had indiv black piano before and it got scratched a bit, it is also sensitive and collects dust super fast. Am not sure if there is an ideal trim. With terra i would go with alu again or piano.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Just to revive this thread, would value any more thoughts from anyone who has gone for brushed aluminium with Terra Dakota on an F15 ?

Cheers
      06-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Just to revive this thread, would value any more thoughts from anyone who has gone for brushed aluminium with Terra Dakota on an F15 ?

Cheers
I went with Hex Aluminum with my terra leather.. Note: Hex Aluminum is only available for Msport. I agree with another poster above mentioning that wood trim makes the interior look old... to me it reminds me of the old Buick / Oldsmobile cars especially the poplar wood trim. If wood trim was absolutely needed then I would opt for the pure wood trim or Fineline oak.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #22
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I went with Hex Aluminum with my terra leather.. Note: Hex Aluminum is only available for Msport. I agree with another poster above mentioning that wood trim makes the interior look old... to me it reminds me of the old Buick / Oldsmobile cars especially the poplar wood trim. If wood trim was absolutely needed then I would opt for the pure wood trim or Fineline oak.
Kzang, I understand the Hex Aluminum scratches quite easily. Can you let us know what your experience has been so far after having the car for a few months? I plan to go for Terra Dakota with either Hex Aluminum or Fineline Pure Wood trim.
Appreciate 0