BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Do you like your 40e?

I am starting to consider a replacement for my E70 X5d. I've driven the current F15 35i for 2 weeks, so I'm well versed on what I like and dislike with the overall F15 package.

I am pretty sure our next SUV will be a PHEV. It appears the current EV-oly range is sufficient for 90% of my usage for the car and a diesel is not my ideal motor anymore.

I've viewed a few youtube reviews of the car, and it appears the main compliant is still the F15 electrical steering requiring getting accustomed to, even at high speeds.

I'm also concerned about the overall level of power delivery. I won't be towing anything, but is the current powertrain sufficient for climbing mountain highways? It's my understanding the battery doesn't completely drain and always has some power reserved for combined AC+ICE power when needed, correct? So in that respect, 300 total system HP should be available and called up anytime during the drive?

Is there anything else unique to the 40e that you dislike?

I'm also considering (all preowned):

2016 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Pros: Porsche driving experience, interior, styling, power
Cons: Pricing, impossible to find right combo of pricing and options and will have to settle and retrofit certain things.

2016 Volvo XC90 T8
Pros: Amazing styling, power, seems to be in lower demand than the Cayenne
Cons: ?

2016-7 MB GLE 550e
Pros: Interior
Cons: launched with no fanfare. No reviews, nothing. Pricing will be higher when I'm ready to buy due to the late launch.

2017-8 Audi Q7 TDI E-Tron
Pros: new chassis, styling
Cons: No ICE charging of the battery. Pricing will be higher when I'm ready to buy due to late launch. Pipe dream for now, Audi hasn't finalized what TDI motor will be paired with the AC for US market.
      12-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

I've owned one for 3 months now and I love every minute of it. Eco pro is NOT your first or even a choice on a highway. Other than that plenty of power for a 4000+ SUV. And coming from the MB line I find the interior of BMW more appealing. What else would you like to know?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
I've owned one for 3 months now and I love every minute of it. Eco pro is NOT your first or even a choice on a highway. Other than that plenty of power for a 4000+ SUV. And coming from the MB line I find the interior of BMW more appealing. What else would you like to know?
thanks, so does the battery completely drain, or does it leave a certain amount in reserve for the full 300 HP?

For example, in the Cayenne, the battery will retain at least 20% of charge, it is never depleted for acceleration purposes. When it reaches 20%, pure-EV mode is not available and ICE and regenerative braking will be the only ways to charge it while driving.

In the Q7, apparently the battery will completely drain and cannot be charged with the ICE, and at one point you could be carrying around a dead weight until enough regenerative braking can charge it or you'll have to stop to plug it in.
      12-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Quote:
thanks, so does the battery completely drain, or does it leave a certain amount in reserve for the full 300 HP?

For example, in the Cayenne, the battery will retain at least 20% of charge, it is never depleted for acceleration purposes. When it reaches 20%, pure-EV mode is not available and ICE and regenerative braking will be the only ways to charge it while driving.

In the Q7, apparently the battery will completely drain and cannot be charged with the ICE, and at one point you could be carrying around a dead weight until enough regenerative braking can charge it or you'll have to stop to plug it in.
I haven't seen it completely drained. Though it will tell you it's around 5% when it get low. But even without the battery the turbo charged engine is not bad it has enough kick. The most fun is max battery in sport mode. The car is on steroids. The lamest is ev only in eco pro, it's like riding an X1 no offense to the X1 owners. The combination and range in between is fun to experiment.

Charging is pretty slow, 8 hours in 120 and 3-4 with 240. I don't have a 240 charger in my garage because I always charge overnight. I haven't driven any other BMWs but I used to own a Lexus 400h and two Mercedes e400h (all non plug in hybrid). Of course I thing compares to the Lexus, but between the BMW and the MB E400h the BM wins hands down on power and style.

As for mileage, most of my 60 mile commute is on the highway so I average 30 mpg combined. The Lexus and the MB where in the low 20s.

I hope this helps, ask more and i'll try to fill in the gaps.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't seen it completely drained. Though it will tell you it's around 5% when it get low. But even without the battery the turbo charged engine is not bad it has enough kick. The most fun is max battery in sport mode. The car is on steroids. The lamest is ev only in eco pro, it's like riding an X1 no offense to the X1 owners. The combination and range in between is fun to experiment.

Charging is pretty slow, 8 hours in 120 and 3-4 with 240. I don't have a 240 charger in my garage because I always charge overnight. I haven't driven any other BMWs but I used to own a Lexus 400h and two Mercedes e400h (all non plug in hybrid). Of course I thing compares to the Lexus, but between the BMW and the MB E400h the BM wins hands down on power and style.

As for mileage, most of my 60 mile commute is on the highway so I average 30 mpg combined. The Lexus and the MB where in the low 20s.

I hope this helps, ask more and i'll try to fill in the gaps.
thanks this is useful. And no need to apologize for bashing X1 owners. They deserve it for buying a Honda Civic with a BMW badge on it.

Anyways, did the 40e come with any charging equipment, or you had to buy all of it yourself/separately? Which NEMA plug head did you end up using?
      12-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #6
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

It comes with 2 charge cables. 1 power en 1 normal home socket cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theove View Post
It comes with 2 charge cables. 1 power en 1 normal home socket cable.
Mine came with just one for home charging.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Unlike the G30 530e, F30 330e, or I001 i3, you do get 300+ HP in the F15 xdrive40e.

On pure electric, I can get a max of 22 miles. The advantage diesel has is if you do a lot of distance highway driving.

I got one charge cable with car and used electric company rebate to purchase and install level 2 charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Unlike the G30 530e, F30 330e, or I001 i3, you do get 300+ HP in the F15 xdrive40e.

On pure electric, I can get a max of 22 miles. The advantage diesel has is if you do a lot of distance highway driving.

I got one charge cable with car and used electric company rebate to purchase and install level 2 charger.
I didn't know you drive a 40e. Based on how much you know I envisioned you as an M type of guy.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Here's the low down:

The X5 40e has a Li-Ion battery. Things that can shorten battery life include full discharge and over charging. So BMW, like cell phone manufacturers, do something very sneaky: the battery gauge you see is not a true representation of the actual battery capacity. The device only uses only a fraction of the actual physical battery capacity (guessing maybe the middle 70-80%) to increase longevity and keep consumers happy.

It would be nearly impossible to completely discharge the Li-Ion battery under normal usage. When battery level gets low Max eDrive is disabled. In Auto Hybrid mode car will drive like a conventional hybrid using auto start/stop, some eDrive and mostly ICE getting around 20-25 mpg depending how it's driven. There is enough regen to keep the battery at 4-9% and provide electric assist. When the battery is depleted it doesn't feel sluggish, it just cannot drive in EV only mode much at all. If Save mode is engaged, the ICE will run constantly and opportunistically regen the battery up to around 50% at the expense of slightly worse mpg. Unlike some hybrids, the X5 ICE does not regen the battery while idling; the car must be moving.

USA and European X5 40e are differently equipped. USA cars come with a 12A 120V level 1 EVSE to charge. At Max charge setting it takes 7.5 hours to fully recharge. In the USA public charging stations come with the cable and plug attached so no need for another charging cable. European cars come with a home EVSE rated for residential 220-240V and a often a second charging cable and plug because European charging stations you have to bring your own.

If you buy and install a 240V level 2 EVSE rated at least 16A, recharge time drops to 2.5 hours.

One thing that feels nice about the electric motor is that it gives the car 184 lbs-ft immediate torque from a dead stop. No lag from the torque converter, auto start/stop or turbo spooling up.
Appreciate 2
retx117.00
      01-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
initialjc
Rep
Drives: Looking

My thoughts:
VOLVO XC90 T8 only uses the EV for the rear wheels, no transfer case in my eyes not a true 4 wheel drive. I also read in the swede forums that they have too many problems and 2016's are sitting and deeply discounted.

PORSCHE feels small and ride was harsh for me, but I read that it has a better generator than the BMW.

AUDI may bring the e-tron in 2018-19; EU currently has in a Diesel PHEV, but EPA scandals have halted that in the US. I did not like the shape of the q7 more station wagon-ey or minivan-ey. However the digital dash was nice. Same thing as the VOLVO with issues check audiworld for some of the stories maybe they resolve that in 2nd year.

MBZ I didnt get to see one in person, but I generally didnt like their interiors.

I chose the BMW and I have no regrets. I live in central California and I have taken it on trips to Los Angeles over the grapevine and I was able to achieve 31mpg on that mountain pass. There is not a lack of power at all never went pask 2.5k rpms at about 70mph.

You will get a Federal Tax Credit if you purchase new on some of those cars.
For the 40e its $4668, Porsche is $5335, Volvo is $4585, MBZ is $4085 and Audi is not reflected yet...

To me the premium that Porsche charges outweighs the PHEV credit. Youll get a better bang for your $ if you go gas only. With BMW the PHEV Credit offsets the increase in price from a 35i to the 40e.

For the others you can check here:
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/quali...ter-12-31-2009

sorry if I jump around
Appreciate 1
C230AMG11.00
      01-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #12
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

I too am in the market for a 40e. Hope to find a low mile preowned.
A few of the things that attract me to the 40e not mentioned here are 1. Range and 2. How quiet it is.
With a 22.5 tank and decent mileage - fill ups can be infrequent and a decent road trip is a single tank project.
Quiet- in my test drive .. I really appreciated the silence. Would be relaxing to run local errands in near silence.

Any current owners agree?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #13
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Totally agree, the range is 500+ miles per tank on mixed highway and city driving when you charge frequently. As for noise, on EV only it is super quite, when both motors are on it is not louder than X5 35.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #14
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

I have a '14 X5d and not long was provided a 40e loaner for the day. My experience with the 40e was limited to about 60 miles, but those miles did include traversing the 2000+ ft elevation difference between my home and the dealership in both directions.

In normal driving I found the power level of the 40e similar to the 35d, including the ample low end torque. Also found no apparent fall off in power in the ~20 mile climb up to the higher elevation where I live. This with the battery indicator on the instrument display at one out of 4 or 5 bars when I picked up the vehicle.

For the most part I found the transition from gas to electric power seamless, with the system 'caught out' only a couple of times.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      01-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

wow, thanks for the responses everyone! You've pretty much sold me on the 40e's ability as a long distance cruiser.

Now I have to decide if I really want Cayenne SEH or the X5. It's going to come down to pricing.
      01-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #16
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Here is a good article comparing X5 40e vs XC90 T8.
If you need 3 rows the T8 is the only way to go. I have read owners of T8's get 40 - 45 average mpg or more which is amazing. Not sure what the 40e average mpg is. Also the Pilot Assist on the XC90 is a great feature not sure if available on 40e? Both cars are great just a personal preference which you like better and if you need 7 seats etc.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...e40e-twin-test
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      01-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't know you drive a 40e. Based on how much you know I envisioned you as an M type of guy.
I do like true M's, an affordable mix of luxury comfort and ultimate drive, but opted for 300+ inline V6's for current leases rather than pay a premium at the tank without regular opportunity to truly enjoy the added power (LA traffic). My profile shows current vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrobX5 View Post
Here is a good article comparing X5 40e vs XC90 T8.
If you need 3 rows the T8 is the only way to go. I have read owners of T8's get 40 - 45 average mpg or more which is amazing. Not sure what the 40e average mpg is. Also the Pilot Assist on the XC90 is a great feature not sure if available on 40e? Both cars are great just a personal preference which you like better and if you need 7 seats etc.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...e40e-twin-test
The xdrive40e does not have Traffic Jam Assistant in the states. Its get a max of 22 miles all electric and will average around 56 mpg in hybrid mode. You lose 3rd row option with electric engine. Not sure if there will be Hybrid G07.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #18
mpd79
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 530e, X5 40e, 550i

When the lease on my 550i was up, I found myself missing my Chevy Volt. As a result I got a 40e and I've loved it.

If you have a short commute (I do) there's a strange amount of pleasure to driving in silence.

My one quip on any of these electrics would be to lease rather than buy unless you drive too much, the technology is changing rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #19
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
The xdrive40e does not have Traffic Jam Assistant in the states. Its get a max of 22 miles all electric and will average around 56 mpg in hybrid mode. You lose 3rd row option with electric engine. Not sure if there will be Hybrid G07.
I think Traffic Jam Assistant is little different than XC90s Pilot Assist which works up to 80 mph without needing a lead car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #20
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrobX5 View Post
I think Traffic Jam Assistant is little different than XC90s Pilot Assist which works up to 80 mph without needing a lead car.
ACC+ (Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go): Dynamic cruise control (ie maintain speed with braking function) as well as ability to automatically adjust speed based on set following distance (if vehicle senses forward object). I have it on my vehicles and it will bring car to complete stop and resume movement.

Traffic Jam Assistant additionally can maintain lane position (active steering support). Depending on country, additional coding may be required to enable TJA on all roads and widen speed range in which system can be used.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd79 View Post
When the lease on my 550i was up, I found myself missing my Chevy Volt. As a result I got a 40e and I've loved it.

If you have a short commute (I do) there's a strange amount of pleasure to driving in silence.

My one quip on any of these electrics would be to lease rather than buy unless you drive too much, the technology is changing rapidly.
I agree on leasing. Based on the rate of depreciation on these cars, I'm betting buying preowned in year 4-6 is the best.

While I agree that the tech will be much better 4-6 years down the line, if your lifestyle hasn't changed, then the "older" tech should be sufficient.

There's a price for everything.
      01-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #22
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

I've had some good seat time on my loaner x5 40e. I thought the power deliver and the transisition from electric to gas was pretty smooth. My only real gripe about the car was the rear suspension I felt that rear was a bit more bouncy on uneven roads compare to my non msport 35i. I felt the shocks are under dampen. This bounce I felt is most likely due to the battery in the trunk. Does anybody else felt the same? Wonder if BMW improved the rear shocks by now.
Appreciate 0