12-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #23
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
Love you man so just picking on you.

That red car in the HUD is real if you look above the HUD reflection on the windshield
that is true...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #24
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
You got the Driver Assistance Package?

50i
Executive Package $3,250
• Soft-close automatic doors
Head-up Display
• Wireless Charging including WiFi Hotspot
• Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
• Rear manual side window shades
• Ceramic Controls

35i
Driver Assistance Package $1,400
• Rear view camera
Head-up Display
Yes, I have the 35i and I got the Drivers Assistance Package. Love the HUD, but I wouldn't pay $3.3K for it. I have no use for most of the options in the Executive Package. Sorry to see there is not more flexibility in options ordering with the 50i.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #25
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
The rear window shades are very nice for folks in the rear especially for road trips in the summer so they deal with all the glare if they're sleeping or watching videos.

The soft close doors are a nice touch. A lot of people still slam the door but for those that don't or otherwise wish to close the door softly without disturbing people (say you're in a quiet neighborhood and you're trying not to bring attention to yourself).

Ceramic controls bring up the class in the interior.

There is also the included leather dashboard that worth it since it really increases the luxury of the interior and gives the X5 a real premium feel.

Anyways the executive package should be the minimum for the 50i. I just think they don't include it to bring the base price down. I'd get a well optioned 35i instead of going for a bare 50i since most of the time you'll be enjoying the niceties of the vehicle not that hauling V8.

Last edited by alphaod; 12-30-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #26
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
I agree with the above posts. It is it a nice feature? Yes, its very nice and convenient. Is it worth the price they are asking? They never are. Having said that, the cost of an OEM HUD retrofit after you buy the car is not going to be cheap. There are cheaper aftermarket HUD units that sits on top of your dashboard but it only offers very limited features compared to the BMW HUD unit.

Convenience is the keyword here. Remember when they first came out with "power windows, door locks, side mirrors, etc." Folks were saying who needs that? Besides manual transmission, do car manufacturers even offer cars with manual features anymore? Cars are driving by itself now with the current technology? What's next? "Bimmer me up Scottie?" Lol
my first car was a Ford Fiesta (the '70's version, not what they sell now). 4 speed, no power steering, no cruise control, and A/C was 2-55 (2 windows open at 55mph). 1989 we buy a Volvo 740GL wagon, it came with "heated front seats"....we thought, "what a stupid option", until the first week of subzero temps; now heated seats are an absolute requirement.

my 35i came with the Drivers Assist; rear camera and HUD. The rear camera was a must and the HUD was again..."another stupid option". 4 months of driving it, yes, the sunglasses make it difficult in the daylight but I'm now sold. I'm not sure it's worth being part of a $3.3K package, but on the 35i in the DA package is definitely "yes".

i'm looking for my next daily driver to replace my 2007 CRV - narrowed it down to a 535xi or E350 4matic. The presence (or absence) of HUD may be the distinguishing feature making my decision.
Appreciate 0