BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

I caught a buzz man

No not that kind of buzz, trim and steering column buzzes have erupted all over the cab. What kind of luck have you guys had with the dealer fixing these without screwing up other stuff? Smooth pavement is not a problem, its the more course highway surfaces where this stuff starts buzzing. The long wood trim piece across the dash is one of them, I reached out my hand and could silence that one. These trim pieces are also the source of the ticks and pops as I go down the road.

Pretty LARGE disappointment for a vehicle in this price range in this day and age. I think part of it is these RFT's they seem to transfer a fair amount of noise and vibration into the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Hmm. Cannot say I've noticed anything, and I have 30K on mine. Which tires do you have? The P Zeros?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 01:53 AM   #3
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Pirelli Scorpions
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
Pirelli Scorpions
I cannot say enough good things about the P Zeros. Probably the most non-RFT acting RFT out there. Night and day difference compared to the Brudgestones I had on my E70.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
Jimmie48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Xdrive35D

My 35d had some rattles as well, some could be fixed with a little push here and there but one I noticed quite a bit at idle was the doors, the plastic meeting the metal on the door jambs would rattle, so I bought some vinyl trim and jammed it between where the rubber part of the inside of the door meets the metal of the door and voila it was gone. I took it to the dealer one time for that and all they did was grease it, one time they replaced the door armrest and it came back so I took matters into my own hands.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I had a rattle coming from the instrument cluster since the car was delivered. Not always there but noticeable on certain road surfaces and speeds. If you pressed firmly on the entire cluster it would dissappear for a few days but eventually return. I mentioned it to the dealer at the last service and they fixed it by reinstalling the cluster with some felt applied.

I'm generally concerned with them doing more harm than good with these type of things but this time it turned out OK. DIY with some adhesive felt is a pretty good solution if you don't trust the dealer.
Appreciate 0