BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Unhappy Traffic Jam assistant

For all of you who have ordered an F15 or are about to, and want to order the "driving assistant plus" as well, be careful:

BMW markets the "traffic jam assistant" as part of the of the driving assistant plus, but this will only be the case for cars going into production as of December 2013.

All cars produced before December will not have this option, and it is not possible to retro-fit it.

So if you want the driving assistant plus with this option, you have to move the production of your car to December...

So the car I ordered 6 weeks ago, and that was supposed to go into production end of September, is now scheduled for production in December and deliver in February 2014 (Europe has 2 months delivery delay to get the car overseas)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Not surehow different the EU packages are than USA. The option you are reffering to is a third package add on here called ACC stop and go. It is an extra optionto active driver plus package. This should only effect that sub package. Great info. Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

i don't find it back on the US website ( I don't think it's the ACC stop@go). Description in German is :

- Stauassistent, hält Abstand zum Vorderfahrzeug auf Autobahnen bis max. 40 km/h,
regelt die Geschwindigkeit selbsttätig bis zum Stillstand und hält das Fahrzeug durch korrigierende Lenkeingriffe mittig in der Spur

Translated : traffic jam assistant, keeps the distance from the vehicle in front of you on freeways for speeds up to 40 km/h. Regulates the speed automatically up to a complete stop and keeps the vehicle in the right lane by applying corrections to the steering wheel.

So this is different from the speed regulator with radar and lane departure warning which is for higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

It's a brand new feature and the X5 is the first car that will have it.

See the BMW page on http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stant.html#t=l

And a news article on it:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...hink/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
For all of you who have ordered an F15 or are about to, and want to order the "driving assistant plus" as well, be careful:

BMW markets the "traffic jam assistant" as part of the of the driving assistant plus, but this will only be the case for cars going into production as of December 2013.

All cars produced before December will not have this option, and it is not possible to retro-fit it.

So if you want the driving assistant plus with this option, you have to move the production of your car to December...

So the car I ordered 6 weeks ago, and that was supposed to go into production end of September, is now scheduled for production in December and deliver in February 2014 (Europe has 2 months delivery delay to get the car overseas)

This wont be part of the driverassistance plus right? I believe it is an an additional add on via the Acc stop and go which is an extra $1200 on top ofthe $1400 driver assistance and $1900 driver assistance plus. Not worth the money to me. If you want this go buy a google car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

So if someone else wants an option you don't want/need, they should buy another car ?

Strange logic....

I shared this on the forum to pass on the info, not to have discussions on wheather it's usefull or not.

In Europe it's part of the driving assistant plus at no extra cost. But if your car goes in production before Dec, you won't have it, and it cannot be retrofitted.

I spend on average 1 to 2 hours a day in standstill traffic jams, so yes, for me it does make sense to have it. And as I am not in a hurry, I am willing to wait for it.

That's my choice, just as it is yours not to have it or wait for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Great option and will be holding back my f15 order to get it. ACC + stop n go is excellent, and I see this taking it another step further.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
ybd2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Great option and will be holding back my f15 order to get it. ACC + stop n go is excellent, and I see this taking it another step further.
Same here.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
ybd2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Like others above, I am going to wait for the December build because I find some of the features (TJA chief among them) coming online in the December builds to be very useful for the way I drive (i.e. in a lot of horrific traffic).

When can a dealership take an order for a December build? I have been inquiring at my local dealer a lot, and they keep telling me that they can't do anything until they get the December build ordering paperwork, which might be in November or December. Is that possibly correct? I am just trying to get a good place in line for the December builds.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

In most European countries we rearly buy a car that's already at the dealer. 95% are custom build at the factory according to your requirements.

That's probably why dealers here are already taking orders for the past 2 months, while in the US I suppose dealerships prefer you buy a car from the lot.

My order has a production number, and is now shifted to first week of Dec production. So yes, BMW is able to take orders for Dec production
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
mizboo102
Rep
Drives: LS1 Miata

Dealers should be receiving order confirmation for the December cars within the next few weeks.

Stau assistant is an additional package that will drive the car in traffic up to 40kmh with a minimum of two fingers on the wheel. Option 5AR but requires 5AT (driver assistant plus)

You can get ACC stop and go (5DF) as a stand alone option or you can get it in 5AT driver assistant plus package. You do not have to wait until December for this option
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybd2 View Post
Like others above, I am going to wait for the December build because I find some of the features (TJA chief among them) coming online in the December builds to be very useful for the way I drive (i.e. in a lot of horrific traffic).

When can a dealership take an order for a December build? I have been inquiring at my local dealer a lot, and they keep telling me that they can't do anything until they get the December build ordering paperwork, which might be in November or December. Is that possibly correct? I am just trying to get a good place in line for the December builds.

Thank you.
I am in line, order accepted for ZXP and 5AT.

However, the 8/2/13 Internal 2014 Product Planning memo has stated that Nappa leather is not available for Oct & Nov Production. Availability for Dec will be confirmed at a later date. So in the case of Nappa upgrade maybe orders are not accepted, still odd why a dealership would not want to take your money.

Last edited by barcelona; 08-25-2013 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

My 30d with traffic jam assistant has now been confirmed for production on 49-12-2013 (49 being the week, 12 being december) and delivery at my dealer (Europe) the first week of January 2014
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

ACC Stop and Go --> Active Cruise control which can break and resume the pre-set speed and maintains the distance from the car in front. However, the steering has to be controlled manually by the driver.

Traffic Jam Assistant: Will allow you to position the car in center of the lane while performing ACC Stop and Go.

BMW states, only traffic jam assistant will come in December production.

Also, i think the traffic jam assistant will not replace the ACC Stop and Go. It looks like they will charge extra money for Traffic Jam Assistant. it doesn't make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5
ACC Stop and Go --> Active Cruise control which can break and resume the pre-set speed and maintains the distance from the car in front. However, the steering has to be controlled manually by the driver.

Traffic Jam Assistant: Will allow you to position the car in center of the lane while performing ACC Stop and Go.

BMW states, only traffic jam assistant will come in December production.

Also, i think the traffic jam assistant will not replace the ACC Stop and Go. It looks like they will charge extra money for Traffic Jam Assistant. it doesn't make any sense.
The traffic jam assistant doesn't replace the active cruise control. It's an additional feature. And it's different because it acts at speeds below 40 kmh and even stops the car.

It is indeed only available as of december production (see my original post for this topic)

And no, in Europe at least, it is part of the driving assistant plus and there is no extra charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

My order was placed in August, the non-confirmed delivery date varies, from November to January. I wanted TJA but my dealer informed me that "when BMW says TJA will be included in December production" that "means" it could really be March/April 2014! Recently, BMW USA did state that TJA would be available starting with December production. Too bad I do not have certainty. EU001939, I hope you get TJA as this is your thread and you shared much info on this feature. They could put a hold on my order to ensure that my X5 has TJA but I did not want the prolonged wait. Time will tell, of course the worst is my X5 comes in November and I only missed TJA by a month.
Also, dealer informed me that you need internet for TJA to work. Odd as I do not think that ACC/stop/go requires Internet, so why would TJA be different.

Last edited by barcelona; 09-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
The traffic jam assistant doesn't replace the active cruise control. It's an additional feature. And it's different because it acts at speeds below 40 kmh and even stops the car.

It is indeed only available as of december production (see my original post for this topic)

And no, in Europe at least, it is part of the driving assistant plus and there is no extra charge.
its hard to understand with not much available information online.

TJA is technically same as ACC Stop and Go (also stops the car but can't resume automatically).

the driving assistance plus currently offered as package in USA and it costs $1900 and does not include ACC Stop and Go.

so, i don't know if they will include TJA as part of the same package with same cost effective December.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Hmm, I thought TJA won't be available (not even after 12/2013) in the US in the first place according to a bulletin from BMW USA?!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #19
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Previously posted by Jason--Administrator
(note global press release... TJA is part of Driving assistant plus...
TJA fo 5 series available from 11/13 and X5 available from 12/13)

Automatic Parking Assistant and Traffic Jam Assist Comes in Fall for 5 Series and X5

Note: this is a global press release, these features may not be available in all markets.

September 19, 2013

More safety, comfort and driving pleasure thanks to BMW ConnectedDrive: fully automatic Parking Assistant and Driving Assistant Plus including Traffic Jam Assistant.

The BMW ConnectedDrive range of features is set to gain even further in appeal and variety in autumn 2013 with the introduction of a fresh round of innovations which further enhance comfort, safety and therefore also driving pleasure. The optional Driving Assistant Plus system now also includes the Traffic Jam Assistant function, and the new generation of the BMW Parking Assistant also makes its debut – likewise on the options list.

Traffic Jam Assistant increases comfort in stop-start situations on motorways. This system maintains a pre-set distance to the vehicle in front and slows the car to a standstill. It also actively takes over the steering, helping the driver to stay in their lane (provided they are holding the steering wheel with at least one hand). The version of Driving Assistant Plus with this new auxiliary function will be available for all BMW 5 Series models from November 2013 and for the BMW X5 from December 2013.

The fully automatic BMW Parking Assistant – which will be available for the first time from autumn 2013 – also boasts extended functionality. This system helps the driver to identify and drive into parking spaces positioned parallel to the road. The new version of the Parking Assistant not only carries out the steering movements required to reverse across into the parking space, it also controls the accelerator and brake pedal and selects the correct gear – all the driver has to do is activate the relevant turn signal indicator and hold down the Parking Assistant button, and the vehicle will glide fully autonomously into the parking space selected. The fully automatic Parking Assistant will be available for the BMW 5 Series Sedan and BMW 5 Series Touring from November 2013 and for the new BMW X5 from December 2013.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #20
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Source: 2014 US Pricing Guide, as posted by Jason--Administrator

s35 x35 35d x50
5AT ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant $1,900 $1,900 $1,900 $1,900
In combination with ZDB + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200
5AT will add 5AR to the order (Valid From : 12/13) x x x x
5AT cannot be ordered with 217 (Valid From : 12/13) x x x
Alternate in package ZDB ZDB ZDB ZDB
Note: 5AR - Traffic Jam Assistant

ZDB Driver Assistance Plus $1,900 $1,900 $1,900 $1,900
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection x x x x
5AS Active Driving Assistant x x x x
or 5AT ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200
5DL Surround View x x x x
8TH Speed Limit Info x x x x
Note: Active Driving Assistant includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning,
Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation.
x x x x
ZDB requires ordering ZDA x x x
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package $4,500 $4,500
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Source: 2014 US Pricing Guide, as posted by Jason--Administrator

s35 x35 35d x50
5AT ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant $1,900 $1,900 $1,900 $1,900
In combination with ZDB + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200
5AT will add 5AR to the order (Valid From : 12/13) x x x x
5AT cannot be ordered with 217 (Valid From : 12/13) x x x
Alternate in package ZDB ZDB ZDB ZDB
Note: 5AR - Traffic Jam Assistant

ZDB Driver Assistance Plus $1,900 $1,900 $1,900 $1,900
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection x x x x
5AS Active Driving Assistant x x x x
or 5AT ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200 + $1,200
5DL Surround View x x x x
8TH Speed Limit Info x x x x
Note: Active Driving Assistant includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning,
Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation.
x x x x
ZDB requires ordering ZDA x x x
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package $4,500 $4,500

This makes totally sense now. As i have mentioned earlier, ACC Stop and Go and Traffic Jam Assistant are based on same technology. So, you will never pay them twice.

For people who have ordered, Driving Assistance Plus with the ACC Stop and Go (extra $1200) will eventually get Traffic Jam Assistant if they can wait until December.

Looks like most of the X5 vehicles in US are coming to customer in November. so, i think its worth to wait until December to get this option had you chosen the extra $1200 option.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

So is the following post by X5dforme just bogus? I'm fully aware that the ordering-guide clearly stated that TJA will come to the US as SOP 12/2013 - but where is THIS info coming from if not from BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5dforme View Post
Directly from BMW....

Please note that contrary to previous communication on 2014 F15 X5 PKoD videos and Start of Communication, the following options and functionality will not be available on the F15 for the US market:

- Traffic Jam Assistant (option 5AR)
- Power closing of the tailgate using the key fob

Park Assistant (option 5DP) was previously communicated as an available option at launch but will be delayed until SOP 12/13.

Last edited by 760Lifan; 09-24-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0