BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Vino4u
Serving the masses since 75
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i m-sport

Weird popping sound...

When I get in the car and start it I hear a weird popping clicking sound almost like bubbles popping. Open the door and the sound stops, close it and it's back. Open the window and it stops, close it and it starts again. Can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from besides the passenger side. It doesn't happen every time just randomly. Arrrrggghhh!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

We may hear the different thing... My problem is the car seems the car tries to activate the air pump or something... Dunno. Anyone can try this. Lock your car, then press the unlock or alarm button once...
Sorry to hijack the thread..
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

There's this groaning, hissing sound that I notice from the air suspension of the car whenever I unlock the door. TOok it back to the dealer, and non unexpectedly, was given the "it's normal, you hypochondriac" answer.

Probably not the same sound you're referring to?
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
JDoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx
We may hear the different thing... My problem is the car seems the car tries to activate the air pump or something... Dunno. Anyone can try this. Lock your car, then press the unlock or alarm button once...
Sorry to hijack the thread..
The hissing sound is supposedly the sound of the fuel pump priming. Mine does the same thing and I don't have the air suspension.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
hissing sound you hear after you lock n unlock seems normal, i hear it also
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Vino4u
United_States
Rep

no this is after the car is unlocked and I start it at idle it sounds like carbonated soda bubbles popping
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Carbonated bubbles - no clue
Hissing/air noise is indeed the fuel pump priming. That was confirmed in an old thread.
      02-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino4u View Post
no this is after the car is unlocked and I start it at idle it sounds like carbonated soda bubbles popping
is the heat on when you turn on the car?

I notice sometimes when you turn on the car and the ac/heat is on, it makes some noises. I usually turn off ac or heat before i shut off the engine.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Vino4u
United_States
Rep

So far it only seems to make the noise when it's wet or raining.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #10
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino4u View Post
When I get in the car and start it I hear a weird popping clicking sound almost like bubbles popping. Open the door and the sound stops, close it and it's back. Open the window and it stops, close it and it starts again. Can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from besides the passenger side. It doesn't happen every time just randomly. Arrrrggghhh!!!!!
Unfortunately I have the same thing going on. Started a few months back. Sounds like it is coming from the driver side seat belt column area/door jam. It is most apparent immediately after entering the vehicle and driving off. It normally stops 15 minutes or so later. Hopefully this is not another soft close *feature* (i.e. door ajar while driving). I think mine is loud enough to record. I will capture the sound tomorrow and post. I will also try to enter the vehicle from the passenger side to see if it is triggered from opening/closing the door.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Regarding the hissing noise when you unlock the car it is normal. You can hear it here when the door is unlocked

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

I also wanted to point out that if you have comfort seats, the side bolsters inflate / deflate every time you turn on/off the car. I couldn't understand what the noise was when I first got the vehicle, but eventually figured it out.

If you open the bolsters all the way up (flat seat back) it does not do it (or if so for only a very short time). I have no idea if the sport seats are similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
I also wanted to point out that if you have comfort seats, the side bolsters inflate / deflate every time you turn on/off the car. I couldn't understand what the noise was when I first got the vehicle, but eventually figured it out.

If you open the bolsters all the way up (flat seat back) it does not do it (or if so for only a very short time). I have no idea if the sport seats are similar.
NOT TRUE! My side bolsters remain as adjusted and are even stored in the memory.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
NOT TRUE! My side bolsters remain as adjusted and are even stored in the memory.
I could be mistaken, but I understand the multi-contour aka comfort seats adjust the side bolsters for entry/exit. This has been posted before:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=28

I'll try to double check this evening.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

It depends on your seat.. if it is sports seats the side bolsters do not adjust.. if it is comfort seat aka multi contour seats then they do adjust according to your memory set and it deflates when the car shuts off and the doors open and inflates when the car is turned on and door is closed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #16
Raymeister
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Hi , there does anyone know what the popping sound is? I think I have isolated the area and it is not from the door speakers, which I thought the sound was coming from. The weird thing about this is, it is definitely coming from the corner of the the roof area of the passenger side could be the mini voice command speaker just in the corner off the roof area. The only problem is that it is periodic and seems like the noise is heard only when the car is moving.

Has anyone come across this and is there a solution??😞

Hi Topec
Thanks for your suggestion, but I do not believe it is from any water coming from the sunroof. This popping noise is also noticeable when the car is dry.
It sounds like it could be something electrical that is causing this. Any thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #17
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymeister View Post
Hi , there does anyone know what the popping sound is? I think I have isolated the area and it is not from the door speakers, which I thought the sound was coming from. The weird thing about this is, it is definitely coming from the corner of the the roof area of the passenger side could be the mini voice command speaker just in the corner off the roof area. The only problem is that it is periodic and seems like the noise is heard only when the car is moving.

Has anyone come across this and is there a solution??😞
possibly this, does this happen when it rains and ur car has been sitting in the rain for a while?

03-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
X5dViaTDI
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5d M Sport

Same issue with my 2014 X5d. I only notice it after sitting out in the rain in colder months leading me to believe it's some sort of leak but I can't find any water inside the car. I've checked the sunroof drains as well as doors. Has anyone sorted this out? Same noise as the above videos but not nearly as bad...
Appreciate 0