BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #45
BigStan2000
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
That code provided helps a little. This is what comes back for it.

Fault Description: "A fault occurs if the setpoint value of the parking lock sensor (engaged) does not match the driver's choice (disengaged).
The parking lock is engaged although the driver's choice is R, N or D."

Service Plan:
  • Possible measure: correct transmission oil level
  • Possible fault cause is a fault in the mechatronics.
  • A faulty transmission may be the potential fault cause.
Thank you for this. Yes, I guess I will try to check oil while monitoring temp on scanner for 40C* with car running as leveled as possible. I have 1 ltr left over from last time as I bought 6 last time. If level is ok, I will have to remove pan and check mechatronics and oil condition for any debris. Install new pan and fill to same procedure. If that doesn't help, mechatronics is $4-5K, F that. I'll put in used trans for less than that hopefully with some warranty and hope for best. I thought these ZFs were reliable.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 12:34 PM   #46
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStan2000 View Post
Thank you for this. Yes, I guess I will try to check oil while monitoring temp on scanner for 40C* with car running as leveled as possible. I have 1 ltr left over from last time as I bought 6 last time. If level is ok, I will have to remove pan and check mechatronics and oil condition for any debris. Install new pan and fill to same procedure. If that doesn't help, mechatronics is $4-5K, F that. I'll put in used trans for less than that hopefully with some warranty and hope for best. I thought these ZFs were reliable.
All of this sounds like your park solenoid failure. After you confirm oil/filter is not issue, Highly recommend you replace all of your solenoids (when one goes rest are sure to follow), much cheaper then new mech unit. You can find them on eBay, make sure to get real zf solenoids, about 500 for new complete set, don't recommend rebuilt or knock-offs.

Pickup the ATSG ZF8HP manual too, replacing the solenoids only adds about an hour extra of work and fairly straightforward but manual good idea to have anyway.

I did solenoids at 110k miles when about to give up on mine, now at 190k miles and still going strong despite my best attempts to nuke it. They are very strong transmissions but solenoids are weak point and BMW telling everyone their oil is "lifetime" doesn't help.

Speaking of oil, make sure you have a full 8 liters on hand if you do solenoids, 2-3 more liters comes out when you separate valve body from transmission (recommend loosen valve body, then let it drip out all night as to not take bath in transmission oil). Replacing the mechatronic b clutch rubber seal easy to do while valve body out and not a bad idea to take care of at same time as preventative maintenance.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 03-31-2023 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 02:10 PM   #47
BigStan2000
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
All of this sounds like your park solenoid failure. After you confirm oil/filter is not issue, Highly recommend you replace all of your solenoids (when one goes rest are sure to follow), much cheaper then new mech unit. You can find them on eBay, make sure to get real zf solenoids, about 500 for new complete set, don't recommend rebuilt or knock-offs.

Pickup the ATSG ZF8HP manual too, replacing the solenoids only adds about an hour extra of work and fairly straightforward but manual good idea to have anyway.

I did solenoids at 110k miles when about to give up on mine, now at 190k miles and still going strong despite my best attempts to nuke it. They are very strong transmissions but solenoids are weak point and BMW telling everyone their oil is "lifetime" doesn't help.

Speaking of oil, make sure you have a full 8 liters on hand if you do solenoids, 2-3 more liters comes out when you separate valve body from transmission (recommend loosen valve body, then let it drip out all night as to not take bath in transmission oil). Replacing the mechatronic b clutch rubber seal easy to do while valve body out and not a bad idea to take care of at same time as preventative maintenance.
Hi, thank you for this great info. I'm also suspecting something with parking engagement/disengagement. I will look into solenoids, and see how hard to do them in driveway. Its interesting that every time I park, I first put it in Neutral, apply parking brake and then put it in Park trying to save parking pawl and take away stress from it, but solenoids I guess are not affected by this preventative measure.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 04:56 PM   #48
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Piggybacking off what Sophisticated Redneck mentions above, below is video of a ZF8 gearbox stuck in park where the solenoid was the issue. Does not seem that difficult to test and replace solenoids, not to mention much cheaper than a tranny swap. Lots of other videos on teardowns too if you are the DIY type.

ZF8 - Stuck in park

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 06:12 PM   #49
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
You can find them on eBay, make sure to get real zf solenoids, about 500 for new complete set, don't recommend rebuilt or knock-offs.

Hey you wouldn't happen to have/ know where i can get the gen2(8hp75)manual and a place that will sell new parts to the public.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #50
BigStan2000
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Piggybacking off what Sophisticated Redneck mentions above, below is video of a ZF8 gearbox stuck in park where the solenoid was the issue. Does not seem that difficult to test and replace solenoids, not to mention much cheaper than a tranny swap. Lots of other videos on teardowns too if you are the DIY type.

ZF8 - Stuck in park

Thank you, I believe I have ZF8HP50 Gen 2 trans, so its a little different, but this guy has tear down of ZF8HP75 mechatronics that looks to have same solenoid color as HP50. I haven't found any new solenoids for Gen 2 trans, eBay has some "rebuilt" from China, I might just get that and replace only Green Parking and Brown parking solenoids and leave the rest alone.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:34 AM   #51
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Hey you wouldn't happen to have/ know where i can get the gen2(8hp75)manual and a place that will sell new parts to the public.
Unfortunately gen2 parts are still hard to come by. It was like this for the Gen1 until just recently. You might call CTSC and see if they have anything not listed or can give you a reference for Gen2 Parts.

https://www.thectsc.com
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:38 AM   #52
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=BigStan2000;29992107]Thank you, I believe I have ZF8HP50 Gen 2 trans, so its a little different, but this guy has tear down of ZF8HP75 mechatronics that looks to have same solenoid color as HP50. I haven't found any new solenoids for Gen 2 trans, eBay has some "rebuilt" from China, I might just get that and replace only Green Parking and Brown parking solenoids and leave the rest alone.

Ya if you have the 8HP50 then finding new solenoids is going to be very difficult. You might try a set of rebuilt from this company as they seem to be legit and solid feedback: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164165312953.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 08:17 PM   #53
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Unfortunately gen2 parts are still hard to come by. It was like this for the Gen1 until just recently. You might call CTSC and see if they have anything not listed or can give you a reference for Gen2 Parts.

https://www.thectsc.com
Is that because they only sell via limited partners or ZF is simply not making enough spares?

Kinda suxs considering the gen3 is already out.
Appreciate 0