BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Extended Maintenance - Transferable?

The X5 I'm looking at has an Extended Maintenance program on it. Goes until 2021. Can these be transferred to the new owner?

Just to be clear: this is not the standard maintenance program that comes with every new BMW. This is the ~$2,100 Extended Maintenance program that would take me to 100K miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

At least in Europe (France) it is trasferable; the extended warranty too.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
At least in Europe (France) it is trasferable; the extended warranty too.
I do think there are regional differences. For example, the standard maintenance (4 years, 50K miles) is transferable in Canada. But not in the US.

Wondering if when the original buyer purchases a $2,100 warranty and sells the car a year later, if that's pure profit for BMW or if they'd be so terribly kind as to let the second owner enjoy something that was bought by the first owner.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
It would say in the terms and conditions of the extended agreement.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Update: stays with the car. Confirmed by finance guy at the dealership. And my $0 balance after taking the X5 in for maintenance today.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
gt0279a
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I believe there is a transfer fee for the new owner.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

what car do you have?
      02-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
what car do you have?
Me? A 2015 X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt0279a View Post
I believe there is a transfer fee for the new owner.
I believe there is no transfer fee until MY2016
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I believe it is at a cost to the new owner however it used to be refundable and or pro-rated. I am not sure if that is an option anymore. Details on the original maintenance plan below.

The BMW Maintenance Program

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:

Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Brake Fluid
Cabin Micro Filter(s)
Engine Air Filter(s)
Spark Plugs
Remote Control/Key Battery
Vehicle Check
Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

For model year 2015 or 2016 vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, the BMW Maintenance Program is provided for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. These maintenance programs cover all factory recommended maintenance as outlined in the vehicle's Service and Warranty Booklet. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty—such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts—are included provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.

Exclusions from coverage are:
Vehicle safety inspection and emissions test
Oxygen Sensor replacement(s)
Maintenance service tasks performed on a vehicle with an ineligible/inactive/expired maintenance program
Repairs covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
Covered maintenance services performed by service facilities other than an authorized BMW center in the United States or Puerto Rico
Engine oil services and other covered maintenance services including those combined with engine oil services that are performed before they qualify or that are performed more frequently than indicated
Gasoline and diesel fuel
Gasoline and diesel fuel additives
Gasoline engine fuel filter
Diesel glow plugs
Diesel particulate filter
DMTL and NVLD system filters
Topping off low fluids (e.g., engine oil, coolant system antifreeze, washer fluid) except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance service as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) top-ups except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
Tires and wheels/rims
Wheel alignment, tire balancing and rotation
Parking brake shoes/linings
Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) reset except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance service as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
Wear and tear of soft trim items such as: seats, carpets, moldings, headliner, door panels and all chrome trim
Damage, including consequential, which results from negligence, improper operation of the vehicle, wear and tear or deterioration due to driving habits or conditions, improper repair, environmental influences, flood, accident or fire damage, road salt corrosion, alteration, installation of non-genuine BMW accessories, or use of improper, poor quality or contaminated fuel
Altered or unreadable Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or odometer irregularities or vehicles where the true mileage cannot be determined

NON-TRANSFERABILITY
These maintenance programs are available to the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle,

Aftersales Mobility Program vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Coverage is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of coverage is that household transfers—transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center—will not terminate coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of coverage.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceprogram.aspx

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...contracts.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I believe it is at a cost to the new owner however it used to be refundable and or pro-rated. I am not sure if that is an option anymore. Details on the original maintenance plan below.

The BMW Maintenance Program

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:

Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Brake Fluid
Cabin Micro Filter(s)
Engine Air Filter(s)
Spark Plugs
Remote Control/Key Battery
Vehicle Check
Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

For model year 2015 or 2016 vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, the BMW Maintenance Program is provided for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. These maintenance programs cover all factory recommended maintenance as outlined in the vehicle's Service and Warranty Booklet. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty—such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts—are included provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.

Exclusions from coverage are:
Vehicle safety inspection and emissions test
Oxygen Sensor replacement(s)
Maintenance service tasks performed on a vehicle with an ineligible/inactive/expired maintenance program
Repairs covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
Covered maintenance services performed by service facilities other than an authorized BMW center in the United States or Puerto Rico
Engine oil services and other covered maintenance services including those combined with engine oil services that are performed before they qualify or that are performed more frequently than indicated
Gasoline and diesel fuel
Gasoline and diesel fuel additives
Gasoline engine fuel filter
Diesel glow plugs
Diesel particulate filter
DMTL and NVLD system filters
Topping off low fluids (e.g., engine oil, coolant system antifreeze, washer fluid) except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance service as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) top-ups except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
Tires and wheels/rims
Wheel alignment, tire balancing and rotation
Parking brake shoes/linings
Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) reset except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance service as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
Wear and tear of soft trim items such as: seats, carpets, moldings, headliner, door panels and all chrome trim
Damage, including consequential, which results from negligence, improper operation of the vehicle, wear and tear or deterioration due to driving habits or conditions, improper repair, environmental influences, flood, accident or fire damage, road salt corrosion, alteration, installation of non-genuine BMW accessories, or use of improper, poor quality or contaminated fuel
Altered or unreadable Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or odometer irregularities or vehicles where the true mileage cannot be determined

NON-TRANSFERABILITY
These maintenance programs are available to the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle,

Aftersales Mobility Program vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Coverage is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of coverage is that household transfers—transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center—will not terminate coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of coverage.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceprogram.aspx

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...contracts.aspx
I bought my 2014 F15 used, from an Audi dealer on 02/14/15 with 6500 miles. The original in service date was 06/30/14 and I had no problem purchasing the 7 year/125000 mile extended maintenance contract.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
I bought my 2014 F15 used, from an Audi dealer on 02/14/15 with 6500 miles. The original in service date was 06/30/14 and I had no problem purchasing the 7 year/125000 mile extended maintenance contract.
Purchasing is never an issue. Transferring... that's what I was worried about.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Generally, aftermarket extensions/warranties are transferable since they're add-on purchases.

The standard BMW maintenance coverage (3/36 or 4/50 in the US) is no longer transferable on 2015 and newer models per the above but I'm guessing that coverage will continue if the car is sold as certified pre-owned by a BMW dealer or that BMW dealers would be willing to negotiate the inclusion of the maintenance coverage for their used car sales if not sold as CPO.

These changes are very similar to what BMW's done with the certified pre-owned program - they're basically trying to force used car buyers to go through BMW dealers. Private sales or cars purchased from non-BMW dealers will have to go aftermarket to get extended warranty or maintenance coverage.
Appreciate 0