BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #45
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I'm starting to wonder how anyone looking to lease who's willing to live with 5 seats and wants a plug in hybrid wouldn't just get the XC60 T8. 4300lbs and 400hp/470tq? Under 60k? Suitable hold over until the next gen X5 brings something compelling. If people don't jump ship from time to time there's no pressure on these manufacturers to up the ante.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #46
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBIASED View Post
Total discount after incentives and negotiations was 15%. Conquest and Costco rebates were available at the time, but I was told if I was willing to lease there would be additional credits. We purchased.

It was a 2017 on the lot at another dealer in close proximity and the SA we were working with jumped at the opportunity to make the deal.

If you're in the NY/NJ/CT area, drop me a private message and I'd be happy to give you my SA's info.
Wow, I wonder what it's like for a 2018? I'm still a few months away from needing to get serious, but I may come back and hit you up. I'm in PA, so NY/NJ/CT is possible. Thanks!
I've seen 7-8% off MSRP before taxes/fees on Swedesport. My impression is even with 18's, Volvo is making a big push to take market share from the X5, GLE, Q7 crowd.

No worries, happy to help as even though my wife thinks I'm nuts spending time on the forum, it has given me a lot of insight in this process. Drop me a line whenever.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #47
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
I'm starting to wonder how anyone looking to lease who's willing to live with 5 seats and wants a plug in hybrid wouldn't just get the XC60 T8. 4300lbs and 400hp/470tq? Under 60k? Suitable hold over until the next gen X5 brings something compelling. If people don't jump ship from time to time there's no pressure on these manufacturers to up the ante.
When we went to pick up my wife's car, they had one in the showroom and it really is a giant leap forward from the previous gen. I can't speak to much more than aesthetics but given the price point, I'd agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #48
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When we went to pick up my wife's car, they had one in the showroom and it really is a giant leap forward from the previous gen. I can't speak to much more than aesthetics but given the price point, I'd agree with you.
I think there's more to it than Aesthetics with the XC60, and aesthetics is about the only remaining thing BMW has on Volvo when comparing the X5 to the XC90. Even that gap was narrowed significantly with this most recent redesign by Volvo. The XC90 list of standard features is impressive, and includes things we pay through the nose for like comfort access, active cruise control, lane departure warning (pilot assist), blind spot detection, 3rd row seating. Packages and options are arguably more tailorable to specific tastes. Don't even start on the 400hp/472tq option with 50%+ more EV range, and faster charging. I completely agree Volvo has aggressively gone after X5/GLE market share. With current incentives this one is $65k, adds surround view, hud, inscription trim level. What? https://www.volvocars.com/configurat...aign=vbs_share
Appreciate 1
HomeIn2326.00
      09-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #49
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
I think there's more to it than Aesthetics with the XC60, and aesthetics is about the only remaining thing BMW has on Volvo when comparing the X5 to the XC90. Even that gap was narrowed significantly with this most recent redesign by Volvo. The XC90 list of standard features is impressive, and includes things we pay through the nose for like comfort access, active cruise control, lane departure warning (pilot assist), blind spot detection, 3rd row seating. Packages and options are arguably more tailorable to specific tastes. Don't even start on the 400hp/472tq option with 50%+ more EV range, and faster charging. I completely agree Volvo has aggressively gone after X5/GLE market share. With current incentives this one is $65k, adds surround view, hud, inscription trim level. What? https://www.volvocars.com/configurat...aign=vbs_share
Isn't that only 18 EV miles and you need to have a 240Volt charger to charge it in 3 hours, if not it's 6 hours. I mean I'm not sure if it's something thrilling to have 18 miles only. I also think these 18 on paper EV miles will be less in real life. I bet taking couple of WOTs and you are down to 10-11 miles?

I don't think people will look into EV seriously unless they can at least get to work safely and back. Wake me up when it will be at least 40-60 EV miles to begin with
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2017, 01:50 AM   #50
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I'm still trying to find any aesthetics in this
IMHO 1st gen X5 looks better than this. Not to ofend any Volvo die hard fans here (on our BMW forum), but this XC60 T8 reminds me it will look good among Toyota or Honda run of the mill cars

Or maybe I'm just not understanding some secret Sweden beauty? Or wait, or is it Chinese now? Whatever
Attached Images

Last edited by DuSh; 09-09-2017 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #51
Geddy
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

We recently narrowed our choices down to the X5, Q7, and XC90. Q7 finished third, the boring exterior and dealer refusing to come off of MSRP eliminated it quickly. We did like the interior and power from the V6 though.

It was close between the X5 and Q7, my wife liking both with her preference the XC90 slightly and me preferring the X5. Since the car is for her we tried to work a deal on an XC90 but they wanted close to MSRP and offered wholesale on her trade-in, and we're not doing that, so off to BMW we went. We quickly struck a deal for 7% off MSRP and the trade-in was $2K higher than the others, so we ended up with the X5, which should arrive in the next week or two.

All three are very nice SUV's that we could see ourselves living with for the next several years. Each has its pros and cons but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Since I am into cars the X5 appealed to me most as it drove the sportiest and looked best to me. It may be a little dated now in the interior but it's held up well and looks great in the Mocha leather that we ordered.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #52
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy View Post
We recently narrowed our choices down to the X5, Q7, and XC90. Q7 finished third, the boring exterior and dealer refusing to come off of MSRP eliminated it quickly. We did like the interior and power from the V6 though.

It was close between the X5 and Q7, my wife liking both with her preference the XC90 slightly and me preferring the X5. Since the car is for her we tried to work a deal on an XC90 but they wanted close to MSRP and offered wholesale on her trade-in, and we're not doing that, so off to BMW we went. We quickly struck a deal for 7% off MSRP and the trade-in was $2K higher than the others, so we ended up with the X5, which should arrive in the next week or two.

All three are very nice SUV's that we could see ourselves living with for the next several years. Each has its pros and cons but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Since I am into cars the X5 appealed to me most as it drove the sportiest and looked best to me. It may be a little dated now in the interior but it's held up well and looks great in the Mocha leather that we ordered.
Congrats. Surprised to hear your Volvo dealership didn't deal but as long as it works for your family, drive the X5 in good health. I'll certainly miss it for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #53
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Isn't that only 18 EV miles and you need to have a 240Volt charger to charge it in 3 hours, if not it's 6 hours. I mean I'm not sure if it's something thrilling to have 18 miles only. I also think these 18 on paper EV miles will be less in real life. I bet taking couple of WOTs and you are down to 10-11 miles?

I don't think people will look into EV seriously unless they can at least get to work safely and back. Wake me up when it will be at least 40-60 EV miles to begin with
Whether or not it can get you to work all electric certainly will be a key factor. Even the 40e can get us to work and back on a single charge, and more than cover a day of weekend errands in our small town, so it's compelling for us, especially since I just DIY'd a 9.15kW solar PV install.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      09-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #54
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
IMHO 1st gen X5 looks better than this. Not to ofend any Volvo die hard fans here (on our BMW forum), but this XC60 T8 reminds me it will look good among Toyota or Honda run of the mill cars

Or maybe I'm just not understanding some secret Sweden beauty? Or wait, or is it Chinese now? Whatever
You showed its bad side, which is the only side any of us non 50i X5 owners will ever see if it's a 400hp/472tq T8, so that's understandable.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      09-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #55
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:

Tell that to people who buy X5 40e... even smaller battery if I recall correctly, and small gas tank too.
      09-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #56
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:

It's still Swedish with Chinese money.