BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2016, 10:46 PM   #23
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

I have the same noise, I thought it was the rear hatch.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #24
XXX5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 50i M Sport

Resurrecting an old thread here as I have this issue too, has there been a deffinitive fix for this from BMW? Quite disconcerting the first few times it happened. Sunroof closed all other windows close, sometimes drivers window cracked only on heavy acceleration from lower speeds not at high speeds which seems odd too.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:38 AM   #25
Alextacy
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

This can be triggered from strong wind, or even hitting bumps but the most common is accelerative g forces and having the window down or sunroof open. The incompetence of the dealers knows no bounds with this, they here a report of a rattle so close the windows so they can hear it better.
Even on a test drive and I show them how to reproduce the sound, they still cant identify and resolve the issue.
One of the many problems I have been putting up with for 12 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #26
Galion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 - 750iL

Great post! My dealer had no clue how to solve this annoying noise.
I wanted to get rid of my 5.0i. Replaced the drain plugs and voila! I love my X again! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #27
BMWadrenaline
@BMWADRENALINE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine X5M

I had same issue and figured it out, just pull the flaps off the rear drain tubes, above the rear hatch area, you can see them when you open the back hatch. Basically these flaps open and close really fast and cause the noise to transfer through the drain tube into the cabin. Just rip them off and the noise is gone. I've had them off for about 10k miles now and havent noticed any issues without them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #28
A-4WD
Long Time Bimmer Fan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndanson View Post
Same issue. Confirmed the problem to be the flaps on the 2 sunroof drain ports (visible when the rear hatch is open). Did not want the dealer to disassemble the car to "fix" it - resolved it by wrapping the flaps in electrical tape to increase their weight - problem gone.

Here's a video of our problem:
Thanks for this, it was so useful. I have just experienced the same problem and was considering either wrapping it with electrical tape, as you did, or removing them completely. Quick question, did you wrap the electrical tape completely around the whole flap or just put some small strips on the top/outer side to put some weight on it?

Help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Ara
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #29
A-4WD
Long Time Bimmer Fan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWadrenaline View Post
I had same issue and figured it out, just pull the flaps off the rear drain tubes, above the rear hatch area, you can see them when you open the back hatch. Basically these flaps open and close really fast and cause the noise to transfer through the drain tube into the cabin. Just rip them off and the noise is gone. I've had them off for about 10k miles now and havent noticed any issues without them.
Thanks for the tip. Have you noticed more noise in the cabin after removing the flaps? Would removing the flaps cause dirt and debris to enter the drain tube?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Ara
Appreciate 1
ss15234.00
      06-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #30
Apan
AlexP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M - Donington Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextacy View Post
This can be triggered from strong wind, or even hitting bumps but the most common is accelerative g forces and having the window down or sunroof open. The incompetence of the dealers knows no bounds with this, they here a report of a rattle so close the windows so they can hear it better.
Even on a test drive and I show them how to reproduce the sound, they still cant identify and resolve the issue.
One of the many problems I have been putting up with for 12 months.
Thanks everyone for pointing this out. I thought my transmission was broken when I first heard this noise under hard acceleration, freaked out and then realized the noise coming from the rear roof area. If anyone has a pic of your fix (tape job or ripped out), please share with the group.
Appreciate 0