06-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #23
Apan
AlexP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M - Donington Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
Production was completed and the X5 M was released to the carrier (truck or train?) yesterday. Now the painful wait for the trip to California - VPC - Dealer - PPF wrap and finally delivery. Fingers crossed for June still.

Now a question - and I have read most of the threads but want to see any new or different opinions. I went with the 21" wheels as the 20" wheel has only one tire option - Pirelli. I understand lower profile = crisper steering and harsher ride. So, what are the current thoughts on 20" vs 21" and current tire choices for the 21" that will be a bit more comfortable? California roads are probably not as bad as NY / NJ / winter states, but they are not as good as they use to be. No track time for me nor any .975 g runs. OTOH, it is an M and I don't want to compromise the crisp handling with sloppy tires.

With my 21" choice, should I visit my dentist and have all fillings re-cemented ?
I literally have the same exact setup as your X5M (Donington, Aragon, carbon fiber), except that I opted for the 20"s since I live in NYC. While I have more tire to battle the potholes and weather, I personally think the car looks hands down hotter with 21"s. I actually plan to buy a set of HRE 21"s after I wear down my summer 20 tires and will just use the 20"s for my winter tires. Living in CA, you definitely made the better choice on starting with 21"s.

I did a lot of cosmetic mods (eg, replaced all chrome with carbon fiber pieces) to the car including a wrap on the whole front end and roof — worth every penny for the peace of mind as one guy said. I also did a bunch of mechanical mods to the car (e.g., stage 3 DME tune, high flow cat down-pipe, Dinan intake, Eisenmann sport exhaust, KW V3 coilovers), so feel free to PM me with any questions. Welcome to the club; it's addictive!!!

-Alex
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #24
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Alex - thanks for your response. My last M was a 2005 M5, very addictive but the 6 speed manual tranny wore me out in bumper to bumper in LA at the time.

Like so many things in life, it about the right choice, recognizing the compromises and limits of your choices.

Our current X5 has the Xpel wrap - the new one will be done in Suntech ( front of roof, full hood, door edges, rocker panels, full bumper, headlights, side view mirrors, A pillars, and a few other spots TBD). Peace of mind is important 4 sure.

Two and a half more weeks before delivery - tick tock tick tock.......
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
kcX5M
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5M Donington Grey/Aragon

Apple Corps - Have the exact same build along with B&O in production expected in SoCAL 1st week of July. Coming off three 7-series (2006, 2012 & 2015) all great rides. Switching up a bit to the X5M, drove it and was sold! I went back and forth on the 20's vs. 21's thinking about ride, but had to go 21's, they have the look!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #26
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

kcX5M - I've run several 7 series over the years as well. We ova e never owned a BMW that we did not enjoy, and several have simply thrilled us. Mine is due in Oxnard on the 25th of this month - couple of days in VPC and on to the dealer. I should have delivery around the same time as you.

I will never off road this Bimm and hardly ever pull .978 g around curves - so there may be a few tire options to soften the ride if needed.

BTW - we lived in Glendale (right next to Montrose) near the Oakmont CC. Highway 2 north of Glendale - some fun driving 4 sure - right up to the point where you see the CHIPs SUV.

I have the Weathetech floor liners ready to go - tick tock
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #27
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It looks like I am now one week away from having our new X5 M in our garage. It is scheduled to arrive at the Oxnard VPC on Monday.

My 2014 X5 5.0 as well as out later 550 had the battery issues that were requiring a new battery at each oil change. So what is the scoop on the battery life on the 2018 X5 Ms? I believe BMW upgraded the battery to a 105 a/h for those vehicles but not sure if that resolved the high draw associated with cooling those turbos.

Last edited by Apple Corps; 06-23-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #28
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update - our new Bimm arrived at the Oxnard VPC yesterday and was released to the carrier this morning - on the way to the dealer.

Reasonably good chance that delivery will be completed by Friday - but we will see.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #29
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Good times on the way !
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #30
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I sure hope so. One has to put out of their mind the squealing brakes, clicking rotors, poor gas mileage, high oil consumption, - wait, why the hell did I get this thing?

Press the START button - then I will know.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Stomp the accelerator. Good Times!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #32
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Our X5 M was released from the Oxnard VPC to the carrier Tuesday morning - our dealer is 400 miles away and still no delivery (3 days on the carrier so far). It is apparent that the damn trucking company wants to keep their carrier fully loaded and are wandering all over California with drop offs and pickups. Our dealer has 6 cars due in (a pretty full carrier load) and can't get a straight answer from the carrier as to status.

What pisses me off so much is that my build to order BMWs from Germany shipped from Bremerhaven - came across the Atlantic - down the Mexican / Central American coast / through the Panama Canal and all the way back up to Oxnard in about the same time as it taking to ship our new X5 M from SC.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #33
kcX5M
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5M Donington Grey/Aragon

Apple Corp, what part of Cal are you in? I’m in SoCal. Your order went in before mine and I received a call today from my dealer it’s in. But I’m not....will have to wait for when I return.... bummer!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #34
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm in the central valley - dealer is in the Bay Area. The major COMCAST outage has nuked my ability to receive emails (even though I can send them and can still browse).

My dealer called me an hour or so ago and said his update is that the vehicle is, while released to the carrier, still at the VPC awaiting a carrier. 4 full freaking days sitting in Oxnard and still not on the way

Really piss poor service BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #35
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm in the central valley - dealer is in the Bay Area.

My dealer called me an hour or so ago and said his update is that the vehicle is, while released to the carrier on Tuesday, is still at the VPC awaiting the carrier. 4 full freaking days sitting in Oxnard and still not on the way

Really piss poor service BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #36
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If the BMW gods smile on me our X5 M will be in my garage tomorrow morning - if they smile.

The transport component has been a joke.

Given the delays, the dealer left the X5 in full factory wrap and I told them to deliver it as is - no need for the usual delivery detailing as it will be given a comprehensive Xpel wrap in about a week. They do a thorough exterior detail as part of the wrap prep.

It has been a long tick tock 4 sure.

I have the Weathertech liners from our 2017 X5 that will fit the X5 M - so ready to go

Also, sorting out a two channel dash cam - way too many poor drivers out there.

We enjoy day trips (Big Sur, Napa, Sonoma, Aptos, etc.) that have us returning late in the day through some remote areas. A flat tire in these areas becomes a major show stopper. From my experience they always happen late on a Saturday / Sunday / holiday and involve a 3/8" bolt or piece of scrap metal that destroys the tire. I've not had a slow leaker that the mobility kit would have helped with in many, many years. The space saver spare is of limited value. If I have to go through the trouble of jacking up the X5 and yanking the wheel off I may as well put something on that will get me home.

So send good karma my way that tomorrow morning a new X5 arrives finally.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #37
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

I feel for your wait. We were lucky, our order arrived at dealer 4 weeks after we placed it, but we're in TX so much closer to SC than you are. One of these days I'll take a minute to create our own owner's thread...
      07-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #38
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The BMW gods have smiled - it arrived around 9:30 this morning! No damage anywhere and the first drive was to fill her up with gas. Ride in comfort mode was good - not harsh in any way from my brief drive on so so roads.

Fully pleased with my color choices - the Aragon brown / orange interior lighting and carbon fiber trim all float my boat.

She is in need of a wash given the long delivery ride on the trailer - I'll be putzing around for a few days and will pass along observations and questions.

Finally.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #39
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Congratulations !
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #40
BradBinNY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 Carbon Black / Black

Your patience was amazing!

Enjoy the ride...many miles of smiles...

When you get settled and have the wrap complete lets see some pictures!

Brad
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:36 AM   #41
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Pics!!!!

I'd make the dealer give you a free tank of gas. Kinda messed up you had to go fill it up right off the delivery truck. Maybe it's because of weight/transport restrictions, but still...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #42
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I promise some pics - I really do have it finally but want to detail it and try to get some interesting photos of it.

The tank of gas and lack of detail is on me - I was so worn out with the delays that I finally told the dealer to forget the detailing and trip to the gas station and just get it on the trailer and in our driveway. This is the first time I took delivery with all the factory / VPC wrap all over it - including the interior protection. It was nice to see it in "original" condition.

I have a new question - Auto hold is not engaged, I move the shift lever and take my foot off the brake but the vehicle does not move when idling - I actually have to give it some accelerator movement before it goes anywhere - and then it "jumps" forward (or in reverse) ever so slightly. My experience with our other X5s is that you let off the brake and the X5 moves just with the engine idling and no accelerator input. Is this normal on the M version?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #43
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
I promise some pics - I really do have it finally but want to detail it and try to get some interesting photos of it.

The tank of gas and lack of detail is on me - I was so worn out with the delays that I finally told the dealer to forget the detailing and trip to the gas station and just get it on the trailer and in our driveway. This is the first time I took delivery with all the factory / VPC wrap all over it - including the interior protection. It was nice to see it in "original" condition.

I have a new question - Auto hold is not engaged, I move the shift lever and take my foot off the brake but the vehicle does not move when idling - I actually have to give it some accelerator movement before it goes anywhere - and then it "jumps" forward (or in reverse) ever so slightly. My experience with our other X5s is that you let off the brake and the X5 moves just with the engine idling and no accelerator input. Is this normal on the M version?
Yes. F85 does not have the auto creep function. It will also roll backwards whilst in Drive on a rear slope. All M automatics were that way until the new F90. It has the creep function. Basically, D can act like Neutral for the “manual transmission experience “.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #44
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the explanation. Although we have owned 4 X5s there are a few differences (besides the power) with the M.

I finally got around to washing it this morning and some minor detail. The carbon fiber trim with the Aragon Brown leather is what catches everyones aesthetic eye so far.

My Xpel wrap should be done next week - my luck on brand new cars regarding dings / chips and cracked windshields is horrible - I am selecting my driving locations very carefully until wrapped. But - I do need to get some miles under the belt. iPhone pairing and music library setup were a snap - so far so good.
Appreciate 0